Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Cuts GUM-CNS/ICN and DEN-PTY

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:38 am

Hello. I'm new here and wanted to say thank you to pdxdtm and others as the information you have outlined has greatly assisted me. I am from Australia and have flights booked and paid in September from Cairns to Guam/Chuuk returning on 29th September. I only found out the route has been cancelled by reviewing my bookings and finding the Guam/Cairns leg has been removed. I was hoping United might agree to fly us Guam/Manila with United and then Manila/Melbourne Singapore Airlines. After contacting several different sources we were told that we must take the last plane on 26th or receive a refund. Given that we weren't returning to Guam (with United) until the 28th these were not viable options. I was finally able to negotiate Guam to Tokyo (United) then Tokyo to Cairns (Jetstar) after sending a PM to United's FaceBook page. The person on the site was a great help. Sorry for the long post but I thought it may help someone else that comes looking. Thanks again
Old Mar 3, 2016, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by pdxdtm
I was browsing late last night on UA's site and found some 'I' space on Singapore Airlines to get me to Brisbane. After calling to book this as a separate reservation to put on hold, the agent I spoke with suggested this might be as good as it gets, and that UA still hasn't called to make an offer of protection didn't bode well.

Old Itinerary: HKG-GUM (X), GUM-CNS (X), CNS-AKL (I), AKL-CHC (X), CHC-SYD (X) // MEL-BKK (I), BKK-HKG (O) - 55,000 Miles / $180 taxes

New Ticket: HKG-SIN (I), SIN-BNE (I) /**Purchase my own ticket on TigerAir for $50 USD from BNE-CNS**/ CNS-AKL (I), AKL-CHC (X), CHC-SYD (X) // MEL-BKK (I), BKK-HKG (O) - 55,000 Miles / $124 taxes

I'm not entirely sure how the taxes dropped by $50 dollars with this new routing, but overall I guess this will work. I'm also surprised they didn't charge me more miles. I assumed they would increase at least 5,000 miles (since my original outbound was a UA award since more than half was on UA metal as opposed to star partners). Bummed I will need to pay for a separate flight to fly 2 hours in the opposite direction from Brisbane to Cairns, but using the flights I already had booked was really the only way I could guarantee that I could get where I wanted to go...

Happy to have this finally ticketed and booked.
Based on this it appears to me there should be a way to use United Miles to get to CNS. I am trying to get from the States to CNS and also no a stop in Auckland, any suggestions how to make this happen. I am okay with economy seating. The above makes me think some how I should be able to go from States to auckland to CNS to auckland to states all on United miles? (I-class?) If this is right why can I not get it to work?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:27 pm

Air NZ trans tasman space can vary wildly. You may see months at a time with not a single award seat from any NZ airport to any Australian airport. It seems like CNS is not releasing any award seats at all. I'd recommend booking to BNE or SYD, then taking a LCC to CNS for ~$50.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.