Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Cuts GUM-CNS/ICN and DEN-PTY

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
More cuts coming to world's "greatest" route network:
•DEN-PTY is also on the chopping block

Was looking for it in Nov/Dec but could not find anything. Reckon it is gone...
Old Jul 18, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by pdxdtm
My first call this afternoon was definitely not good news. United basically said if they don't fly the route, and there aren't partner award seats available, I'm SOL. The agent suggested I call back in a few days when they've developed a plan for those of us with tickets booked. The agent today basically said I'll need to find a new reward flight that's available otherwise she can't do anything. Errrrrrrrrr.
I figured that the "they will rebook you in *A FC" poster must not understand the current "flyer friendly" United. Stiff middle finger is more like it...
Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pdxdtm
There aren't a lot of partners who are serving these routes. My first call this afternoon was definitely not good news. United basically said if they don't fly the route, and there aren't partner award seats available, I'm SOL. The agent suggested I call back in a few days when they've developed a plan for those of us with tickets booked. The agent today basically said I'll need to find a new reward flight that's available otherwise she can't do anything. Errrrrrrrrr.
This is totally unacceptable. UA is on the hook for finding you another way, even if it has to buy you a revenue ticket on another carrier. You must not give up on this.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA-GS; WN A-list;Hyatt - CC; Hertz - PC
United Cuts GUM-CNS/ICN

If GUM/ICN goes, won't NRT/ICN also go? I thought they regularly subbed the 2 737s between those two routes?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 9:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is totally unacceptable. UA is on the hook for finding you another way, even if it has to buy you a revenue ticket on another carrier.
UA does have the option of a complete refund.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Really? Is that a COC issue? And does not run afoul of any DOT regulation?

As someone who thought he knew just about everything about UA, this really shocks me...

Originally Posted by DENflyer3
If GUM/ICN goes, won't NRT/ICN also go? I thought they regularly subbed the 2 737s between those two routes?
UA says NRT-ICN will remain. Wondering if they might upgauge to a wide body, but that would just make too much sense...
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yes. CoC Rule 24(C)(4).

I don't believe it would run afoul of any DOT reg so long as travel has not commenced, but am not 100% certain on that.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

As someone who thought he knew just about everything about UA, this really shocks me...
This issue has been discussed several times on this forum and the consensus has always been that, if pressed, UA will offer a refund.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. CoC Rule 24(C)(4)....
Change in Schedule - When a Passenger’s Ticketed flight is affected because of a Change in Schedule, UA will, at its election, arrange one of the following:
4) If the Passenger is not transported as provided in C) 1) or 2) above and does not choose to apply the value of his or her Ticket toward future travel as provided in C) 3) above, the Passenger will be eligible for a refund upon request. See Rule 27 A).
Originally Posted by Kacee
.... I don't believe it would run afoul of any DOT reg so long as travel has not commenced, ...
that is my understanding also.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:32 pm

UA says NRT-ICN will remain. Wondering if they might upgauge to a wide body, but that would just make too much sense...
ICN-NRT was flown by a CS 737 before GUM-ICN started, and the schedule still shows a 737 going forward. Why would that change?
Old Jul 18, 2015, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
This issue has been discussed several times on this forum and the consensus has always been that, if pressed, UA will offer a refund.
Well, I learned something new -- but a refund means little if you are trying to get to a place and have to buy a much more expensive new ticket.

I've had situations like this in the past and have always cajoled UA into making it right, even if it means a revenue ticket on another carrier.

Originally Posted by akonradi
ICN-NRT was flown by a CS 737 before GUM-ICN started, and the schedule still shows a 737 going forward. Why would that change?
It won't and I never said it would -- I was just thinking back to the good old PMUA days.
Old Jul 18, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Schedule on GUM-ICN wasn't attractive at all (although, ICN-GUM schedule is very nice). UA should have departed 3-4 hours earlier so that the passengers don't have to make an additional day off their work. One less vacation day is super critical to Koreans. UA could do that but didn't - UA didn't care what Koreans would like from the beginning even though this route is supposed to be filled almost all by Koreans. No wonder this route has failed.
UA was working with limited aircraft time for the GUM-ICN leg, basically replacing the aircraft's RON at ICN with a GUM turn.

I think the upcoming GUM operation fleet replacement will leave one fewer 737 than before, so a few cuts were inevitable.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: AS MVP
I took the Guam to Cairns flight yesterday, pretty light load. There are a good number of Aussies and New Zealanders who depend on this flight to get them home from Guam and the neighboring islands and countries. I heard people were talking in the UA lounge about we will go to Cairns while we still can. Now I understand the reason. Words spread fast amongst the Guam community.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UA is also looking to add frequencies to the new GUM-PVG route. China is the 'new frontier' for the Guam operation.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Originally Posted by spin88
I figured that the "they will rebook you in *A FC" poster must not understand the current "flyer friendly" United. Stiff middle finger is more like it...
Unfortunately, other than Seasonal Air Nz service only a few days a week from Auckland and a Silk Air (SQ regional) service from Singapore (which if memory serves we can't use UA miles for flights on anyways- thinking of a trip a few years ago to REP), no other *A services CNS. Either way in my situation it's a moot point, since I was just connecting there on a HKG-GUM-CNS-AKL-CHC. And I can't find any availability that weekend on any other *A carriers anytime that weekend to NZ.

I guess I could have UA reroute me HKG-SFO-LAX-MEL (and then find a flight to NZ from Mel) in business... Might be wishful thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.