Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Cuts GUM-CNS/ICN and DEN-PTY

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I was looking at options for my GUM-CNS flight. If I can get to SYD, then a whole lot of airlines fly SYD-CNS for not a lot of money. Qantas was $145 one way, IIRC. Of course I'm trying to get there in their summer. But it looks like the SYD flights are getting cancelled or delayed a lot right now. I hope they figure something out before I go there. (I'm coming back from ROR, so I don't have a lot of options for using miles on other airlines and I'm not sure I could get an open jaw anyway.)
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:00 am

"Average fares on GUM-ICN are lower than expected as competition from Korean carriers has increased, and therefore our revenue did not meet expectations nor cover the cost of operating the aircraft rather than having it remain overnight at ICN," United told employees.

United cannot compete. They should ask themselves why "revenue did not meet expectations".

We can expect this sort of trend to continue. United does well went it doesn't have to compete, so do other mediocre businesses.

KE flies a 747-400 will real a Business Class on board
Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Duopolies remain:
UA has GUM and DL has SPN. That's not changing.
KE has GUM and OZ has SPN. That's not changing.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by meFIRST
KE flies a 747-400 will real a Business Class on board
Real Business Class is irrelevant, even if KE is using a 737 those Koreans will still fly KE and OZ over UA (CS), same logic like do you see much non-Japanese flying JL and NH ? No (even JL still had many non-sky suite equipped planes flying around and NH's C seats on 763 and some 772 are plain awful). Same with HKG-TPE, all the HKers only fly CX even CX had switched to cold snack box or box lunch in Y, whereas CI and BR still serve full hot meals.

The product is not as important as the brand.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:05 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.7mm
Originally Posted by mherdeg
That's too bad about CNS. I was looking to position there during the 2012 total solar eclipse and UA was very nearly the only available *A service (there is NZ from AKL seasonally and, not quite *A, Silkair from SIN).
I was there for the total solar eclipse in 2012 and you did not miss much. It was cloudy that morning and the eclipse was low on the horizon. Was also in Chengdu in 2009 for the total solar eclipse, also cloudy that day but still much better than the CNS eclipse.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:00 am

PTY-DEN gone?

last I show for this is on sept 7th - I have a flight later that month which was rebooked to go through IAH today. (actually now I find weekends only starting just before christmas into at least february- but nothing at all from 9/7 till late dec)

Frustrating, I greatly preferred DEN vs. IAH.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Woofdog123
Frustrating, I greatly preferred DEN vs. IAH.
you can call and request other options, however i don't believe that UA runs PTY-ORD, so you'd be stuck with either IAH or EWR as remaining options on UA metal and i doubt they'd put you on COPA (though it might not hurt to ask).
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
you can call and request other options, however i don't believe that UA runs PTY-ORD, so you'd be stuck with either IAH or EWR as remaining options on UA metal and i doubt they'd put you on COPA (though it might not hurt to ask).
Could probably also request a full refund and rebook on CM (assuming schedule change of 2 hours or more). Although CM pricing has become ridiculous and is not IMO warranted by the product.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
thanks for the idea - actual ticket is pty-las so they don't list EWR as a valid connection (afaik), so it is iah or CM direct. below post commenting on copa rates are right, unless you book during one of their periodic sales or otherwise get lucky. as far as I can tell, the added mileage (valuing at around 1.75c) is a major offset on a long flight, sometimes getting it near similar-cost.

not sure if full refund of pending flight still possible as this is the 2nd leg of a RT ticket.

my current layover at IAH is 4 hours (the prior las flight is 30 minutes after landing, which with luggage is not viable).
Old Jul 20, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Woofdog123
thanks for the idea - actual ticket is pty-las so they don't list EWR as a valid connection (afaik), so it is iah or CM direct.
Would not hurt to ask for a reroute thru EWR, if you desire. Given the fact, that they cxld your original flight, they might manually ticket a reroute.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Would not hurt to ask for a reroute thru EWR, if you desire. Given the fact, that they cxld your original flight, they might manually ticket a reroute.
Except that's a horrible routing (PTY-EWR-LAS).

I like the IAH routing from PTY. A longer connection allows time for a shower at Terminal E UC.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Except that's a horrible routing (PTY-EWR-LAS).

I like the IAH routing from PTY. A longer connection allows time for a shower at Terminal E UC.
layover for me via IAH is now just under 4 hours (the next shorter one is 30 minutes, which is impossible with baggage), so it is possible i have little to lose asking for EWR routing. potentially same travel time, and may help meet a PQM goalpost while reducing overall UA use in face of CM's new program. I will look into what is actually out there in terms of layovers.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
This is totally unacceptable. UA is on the hook for finding you another way, even if it has to buy you a revenue ticket on another carrier. You must not give up on this.
I've been looking at the Contract of Carriage and can't really find anything that talks specifically about this situation. Do you know where I might look or something I can reference when I call back to them in a few days? I agree they should be on the hook, but can't find anything specifically on point with this situation that says specifically UA will need to get me from HKG-CHC, even if it means spending $5K for a business ticket on Air NZ or Cathay/Qantas.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by pdxdtm
I agree they should be on the hook, but can't find anything specifically on point with this situation that says specifically UA will need to get me from HKG-CHC, even if it means spending $5K for a business ticket on Air NZ or Cathay/Qantas.
They don't. They can just offer you a refund. CoC Rule 24(C)(4).
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee
They don't. They can just offer you a refund. CoC Rule 24(C)(4).
That's interesting. I hadn't seen that rule when reading the CoC. I would argue Rule 24 C 2 is more on point:

At UA’s discretion, reroute Passengers over the lines of one or more carriers in an equivalent class of service when a Change in Schedule results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities;

I guess I can't push them too hard since its at their discretion, but I hope they come up with something good. Figure I'll give them til the end of the week to reach out to me and then follow back up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.