Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
It was cool when it opened up, but has really dated itself quickly and has issues. It's not even big enough to encompass all of UA's international arrivals in the afternoon. So technically they didn't even make it big enough when they built it:

The C-134 to C137 gate area is windowless and at least 1-2 gates are routinely out of service for the TLV flights (C138-C39 I think). Restrooms require long walks and there isn't a ton of shopping either -- just a below average food court. No GDS at at the gates either.

The strongest thing it has going for is it's use of natural lighting.
I agree the corner gates are an awkward design, a pretty strange shape brought about by the boundaries of the entire terminal area. I don't think there was ever an intention for C-3 to handle all of CO (now UA's) arriving international flights, as there simply was never going to be enough space to do it. TLV flights require a secondary screening (comprised of movable partitions) and the gate 138 area works well for it, since there are restrooms within the security cordon and gate 139 is blocked when a 777 parks at 138. The split operation at B/C is adequate even as compared to other hubs, for example, all UAL international arrivals at ORD/DEN require train rides to reach connecting flights.

Just about every EWR gate has GDS displays now, too... but they're mostly useless to me as I can usually pull my phone out, fire up the app, and obtain the same information in less time than waiting for the screens to cycle through.

Originally Posted by pbartp
And Smashburger
Not anymore... replaced by OTG "Nonna's Meatball Shop" or something to that effect!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 19, 2015 at 7:51 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Mod edit
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by halls120
No one should be the least bit surprised by this move. This management team believes that operating from a captive hub is the road to success.
Many of the world's most successful airlines benefit greatly from captive hubs.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Many of the world's most successful airlines benefit greatly from captive hubs.
See Delta and ATL.

^
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by EWR764
Not anymore... replaced by OTG "Nonna's Meatball Shop" or something to that effect!
Oh noes!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by EWR764
Stay away frm the meatball place. It serves dry tasteless institutional food. Slow service and way overpriced, too.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K | GHA Black
My concern with the move to EWR is upgrades, and not just the fact that CPUs will no longer be allowed on LAX/SFO-EWR flights.

Passengers on LAX/SFO-EWR flights who want to upgrade will have to use a confirmable upgrade instrument (RPU/GPU) or miles. That's how it is now on p.s. flights to/from JFK. But after the move to EWR, domestic passengers on LAX/SFO-EWR flights will have to compete for upgrades against international passengers, for whom the LAX/SFO-EWR flight is one leg of their itinerary. This wasn't typically the case with JFK, since JFK wasn't a connection point to international United flights...

It seems to me that having to compete against international passengers for upgrades will leave domestic passengers flying just the LAX/SFO-EWR route at a significant disadvantage. Upgrading an international flight, by rule, requires a confirmable instrument that's higher in the pecking order and a relatively expensive fare -- certainly, a fare that's higher than any discounted p.s. fare.

In light of this, I don't see how anyone flying just the LAX/SFO-EWR route can reasonably expect to be upgraded after the move; especially on an RPU and/or anything less than an M-fare.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LukeDaniell
My concern with the move to EWR is upgrades, and not just the fact that CPUs will no longer be allowed on LAX/SFO-EWR flights.

Passengers on LAX/SFO-EWR flights who want to upgrade will have to use a confirmable upgrade instrument (RPU/GPU) or miles. That's how it is now on p.s. flights to/from JFK. But after the move to EWR, domestic passengers on LAX/SFO-EWR flights will have to compete for upgrades against international passengers, for whom the LAX/SFO-EWR flight is one leg of their itinerary. This wasn't typically the case with JFK, since JFK wasn't a connection point to international United flights...

It seems to me that having to compete against international passengers for upgrades will leave domestic passengers flying just the LAX/SFO-EWR route at a significant disadvantage. Upgrading an international flight, by rule, requires a confirmable instrument that's higher in the pecking order and a relatively expensive fare -- certainly, a fare that's higher than any discounted p.s. fare.

In light of this, I don't see how anyone flying just the LAX/SFO-EWR route can reasonably expect to be upgraded after the move; especially on an RPU and/or anything less than an M-fare.
As United says, "If you want an upgrade, pay for it. Preferably in cash."
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Why did SQ fly SIN-EWR and not SIN-JFK w/ the all J class plane?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

Passengers on LAX/SFO-EWR flights who want to upgrade will have to use a confirmable upgrade instrument (RPU/GPU) or miles. That's how it is now on p.s. flights to/from JFK. But after the move to EWR, domestic passengers on LAX/SFO-EWR flights will have to compete for upgrades against international passengers, for whom the LAX/SFO-EWR flight is one leg of their itinerary. This wasn't typically the case with JFK, since JFK wasn't a connection point to international United flights.......
not quite, Asia-SFO/LAX-JFK was a common routing. And some *A flight-JFK-SFO/LAX (these was paid premium cabin -- but that still reduces seats for upgrading).
However, EWR will still be a bit worse with both Asia-SFO/LAX-EWR and Europe-EWR-SFO/LAX.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the AA forum, someone posted January fare data for SFO-JFK, and it appears that B6 isn't selling very many MINT seats on that route, even at a bargain-basement average fare of $633 each way:

Originally Posted by DWFI
read the colums across:
Carrier, average fare in premium cabin, average fare in coach, blended total average fare, total passenger count, and cumulative revenue

This data is for Jan 2015 (whole month).

SFO JFK SY ___0 149 152 ___69 ____9760
SFO JFK US _643 216 234 __353 ___75841
SFO JFK AA 1769 390 779 _9351 _6884535
SFO JFK B6 _633 234 282 12011 _3271117
SFO JFK VX 1368 252 345 13046 _4423589
SFO JFK UA 1597 328 589 20541 11703277
SFO JFK DL 1170 262 359 18964 _6563071
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24988033-post572.html

AA and UA continue to attract high average premium cabin fares and high average overall fares, despite DL and B6 selling seats cheap.

I suspect that UA will do OK even after moving the JFK operation to EWR.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
not quite, Asia-SFO/LAX-JFK was a common routing.
EWR will still be worse with both Asia-SFO/LAX-EWR and Europe-SFO/LAX-EWR
Let's not forget travelers to/from Oz. I would never fly EWR-LAX/SFO-SYD, always used JFK.

My preference has long been JFK for p.s. to Asia. Even when travel time to JFK was slightly longer, the shorter check-in and security lines meant I could be in the lounge 10-15 minutes after arriving. EWR processes far too many people and is nowhere near as efficient. This and lack of a GFL is more of a challenge for the relocation, not so much the JFK vs EWR question. Most of the premium cabin arrives by car service or taxi and either EWR or JFK has its issues based on time of day and where you are starting out from.

UA will lose the LI residents for sure but the advantage or proving flat bed service now from LAX and SFO to the smaller cities in Europe like MAN and TXL will be a great benefit. I would rather transfer in EWR than FRA or LHR for flights like that. I basically doubt that UA will have a substantial increase in EWR flights to LAX and SFO in the long term. Just less CPUs as more BF p.s. seats go to people on international business class tickets.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:34 pm

Wow Delta is really underperforming on premium fares on the route.

And JetBlue is only getting the discount fliers in premium.

Not enough corp contracts for either as new entrants.

Look forward to more from this source. Not good news for those of us who like the premium products though.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
On the AA forum, someone posted January fare data for SFO-JFK, and it appears that B6 isn't selling very many MINT seats on that route, even at a bargain-basement average fare of $633 each way:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWFI

read the colums across:
Carrier, average fare in premium cabin, average fare in coach, blended total average fare, total passenger count, and cumulative revenue

This data is for Jan 2015 (whole month).

SFO JFK SY ___0 149 152 ___69 ____9760
SFO JFK US _643 216 234 __353 ___75841
SFO JFK AA 1769 390 779 _9351 _6884535
SFO JFK B6 _633 234 282 12011 _3271117
SFO JFK VX 1368 252 345 13046 _4423589
SFO JFK UA 1597 328 589 20541 11703277
SFO JFK DL 1170 262 359 18964 _6563071

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24988033-post572.html

AA and UA continue to attract high average premium cabin fares and high average overall fares, despite DL and B6 selling seats cheap.

I suspect that UA will do OK even after moving the JFK operation to EWR.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Seems more like UA did this on purpose so it's competitors like OS cannot get any connections to the west coast from JFK.

IMO it's harder to find award space going from Europe to SFO vs Europe to New York though they cost the same.

But afterall the %'s are so slim.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La

Agreed, though I share the experience of many others here in virtually never being able to upgrade EWR-SFO and v.v. with RPUs, much less CPUs, as 1K. I can't remember the last time this cleared; I am usually on mid-level economy fares at relatively peak times.

Count this as a feature, not a bug, in the change. I suppose that UA is banking on people paying for C; we'll see if they're right.

Also the impact on Star Alliance connections from SFO/LAX to Europe via JFK, even though it's relatively small, is also a feature and not a bug. This change eliminates many options to get from SFO/LAX to Europe with a flat-bed the entire way and using partner airlines, especially on awards.

You can fly LH/LX/TK/SK direct from the west coast, with scanty premium-class award availability. (I have never seen a C/F award on LX out of LAX or SFO or C award on SK out of SFO; add that to the recent effective ban on LH F awards.)

Gone are offbeat routings, such as SFO-JFK-VIE or SFO-JFK-IST (TK has more seats out of JFK than SFO+LAX combined), which I have enjoyed from time to time to try different Star Alliance airlines while leveraging the benefits of p.s. instead of a run-of-the-mill UA F to ORD or IAD. I don't originate from the east coast too often, but I have flown things like JFK-SFO-PEK on CA or JFK-SFO-ICN on OZ; of course both of these airlines fly from JFK, and there are non-stop UA options from EWR, but again it just slightly reduces the universe of fully-flat award options that many of us value to get the most out of our hard-earned miles.

A minor loss in the grand scheme of things, but it's one more intentional cut to the value of Star Alliance as a UA flyer.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:49 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald (BA GGL), *A Silver (Miles & Less), Skyteam Pleb (KLM FlyingBlue), Mucci Platinum
Originally Posted by LAXIAD8
Other than certain airports such as GIG or ATH, UA flies to far more global destinations from the "wrong" gateway than DL and AA combined out of the "right"
It's irrelevant where UA flies to in this case. Far more premium international flyers are coming in on proper premium airlines - BA, ANA, SQ, CX, EK etc - not on a third-rate airline.

You can see the difference in international arrivals at JFK vs EWR - it's a huge differential. You can also see it in the relative frequencies of airlines who do fly into both airports: BA probably has 3x as many JFK flights than EWR (even without the AAJV); VS is pulling out of EWR altogether; CX has 4x the number of JFK flights than EWR.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 20, 2015 at 8:55 am Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.