Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by kettle1
As I said up-thread, UA is currently the 2nd largest airline in the World. They can not provide service to IAH, DEN, ORD, IAD, SFO and LAX (all hubs) from JFK - something is wrong if they can not make a profit on those routes.

Forget LAX - UA can not compete on service levels in C (I get that). I question SFO being dropped, as that is a UA fortress hub? They can not make money going to ORD, IAD, and IAH? That, I question?

There must be more to this? For the 2nd largest airline in the World not to fly to one of the largest International Airports (JFK).

I deal with International clients from all over the World, and believe me they are not flying to EWR. When they think of New York City - they think of JFK. Period.

This may be a "brilliant" move by UA or it may be some Texas wisdom that is flowing though Willis Tower with this current UA management team. Time will tell. I know many clients that will not be traveling to EWR to visit New York City even if it is more convenient. They will choose another carrier. They will not take a train or bus, and that is a sure thing.
Yes, that's nice and all, but what are you advocating here exactly? That since UAL is in the world's largest airline ranks, that they then must offer service at JFK, because you know, it's JFK, and like premium, and it's JFK - and if they can't make it work, they're losers?

I think you're failing to realize that even if they loose a certain [perhaps large] percentage of premium o/d from JFK, the strategy is that it'll be more than made up by:

1) Drastically reducing building/staffing costs. I know these changes are hard, but I saw the writing on the wall for JFK as soon as the merger was complete. I was surprised JFK was kept on for this long to be perfectly honest, but I'd venture to guess that B6's Mint flights were the straw that finally broke the camel's back here.

2) Increasing the prestige and standing of the EWR hub, which lets be honest, vies with only SFO for being the primary strategic standing within the combined network. EWR's history non-withstanding, it's the future that matters, and the airport certainly has potential to transform itself..

I'll personally miss the SFO-JFK-SFO shuttle, but I can certainly see the favorable benefits from the company's perspective of consolidating all the traffic to Newark.

This has nothing to do with "Texas-think/wisdom" guys. This is a move that UAL Corp. would have made in a second if they had had EWR as their East-coast Atlantic gateway. And it's not even all the shrewd of a move - just a smart one.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: CHASE UNITED CLUB; CITI PRESTIGE; IHG SPIRE AMBASSADOR; RITZ-CARLTON GOLD; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jiburi
This is crazy. I'm sure they weighed everything and compared the pros and cons of three nyc airports, but to seeing JFK take the cut, a huge surprise. There is still LGA but why couldn't UA choose domestic LGA the airport to cut. Grr

Jiburi
LGA is also international, I flied to Canada from LGA. It is currently limited by the 1500-mile perimeter rule.

LGA is a true NYC airport, more so than JFK. Many people take a short cab from midtown to LGA and everything in LGA goes faster than in JFK.

UA would be out of its mind to give up on LGA. I would return my club membership to UA if it should give up LGA.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tuolumne
2) Increasing the prestige and standing of the EWR hub, which lets be honest, vies with only SFO for being the primary strategic standing within the combined network. EWR's history non-withstanding, it's the future that matters, and the airport certainly has potential to transform itself..

I'll personally miss the SFO-JFK-SFO shuttle, but I can certainly see the favorable benefits from the company's perspective of consolidating all the traffic to Newark.

This has nothing to do with "Texas-think/wisdom" guys. This is a move that UAL Corp. would have made in a second if they had had EWR as their East-coast Atlantic gateway. And it's not even all the shrewd of a move - just a smart one.
I agree that pmUA would have eventually made this move. While it makes sense in many respects, I don't think it's "smart" at all. While I avoid all NYC airports, EWR is always going to be #3 on that list, thanks to the often horrendous delays one experiences at an airport that has as few runways as EWR.

You could tear down all of the existing concourses and build beautiful new ones, and you'd still have the limited airfield space, which means long delays at peak periods.

Last edited by halls120; Jun 18, 2015 at 6:15 am
Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by halls120
You could tear down all of the existing concourses and build beautiful new ones, and you'd still have the limited airfield space, which means long delays at peak periods.
Actually, there are plans floating around that involve moving the terminals and one of the runways. That would solve a lot of EWR's prblems. It's not likley to ever happen, though.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by gengar
JFK used to be an international hub for UA. IIRC, JFK-NRT and JFK-LHR were the last two international routes, canceled in the mid-2000s (UA moved JFK-NRT to IAD and I think sold off the LHR routes to DL... sound familiar?). As recently as the 90s, UA served HKG, a bunch of South and Central American destinations (some FT'ers compiled a list in a past thread - it was surprising to me, anything from EZE to CZM!), and BOS, SEA, ORD, and even SAN from JFK. In the 80s, I believe there was even HNL service.

It has been a long way down to zero.
Definitely lots of Latam in the 90s - I spent a LOT of time on UA JFK-GRU and JFK-EZE. The old recliners in business - always took several hours to get the tingling to stop in my hands from having my forearms resting on the armrests while I slept.

It was my start of significant work travel, and I remember choosing UA over AA (same routes, same times, etc.) because I didn't like the "sheepskin" back of the AA J seats, and preferred UA's cloth.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ylord789
LGA is also international, I flied to Canada from LGA. It is currently limited by the 1500-mile perimeter rule.

LGA is a true NYC airport, more so than JFK. Many people take a short cab from midtown to LGA and everything in LGA goes faster than in JFK.

UA would be out of its mind to give up on LGA. I would return my club membership to UA if it should give up LGA.
LGA is not an international airport. They do not have Customs and Immigration and flights from Canada are considered domestic on arrival since you clear US Customs and Immigration at most Canadian airports.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Jet Blue responding to the UA capacity cut with a capacity increase:

JetBlue Adds Additional Mint Coast-to-Coast Service From JFK

-- New York's Hometown Airline Will Fly Even More Mint, Its Refreshing New Take on Premium Travel, to Los Angeles and San Francisco From Its Home at JFK --

-- Up to 10 Daily Flights to LAX and 6 Daily Flights to SFO Planned --

NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwired - June 18, 2015) - JetBlue (NASDAQ: JBU), New York's Hometown Airline(TM), today announced that it will add additional flights of its acclaimed Mint experience from New York's John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK) to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) and San Francisco International Airport (SFO). The schedule expansion offers customers looking for new options to travel between JFK and the West Coast with an affordable premium experience that is above and beyond the traditional standard that customers have come to expect from other airlines.

Beginning October 25, JetBlue will offer up to six daily Mint flights between New York and San Francisco. JetBlue will also add additional service between New York and Los Angeles beginning October 25, with up to 10 daily flights by February when the airline takes delivery of its newest A321 Mint aircraft.

Since launching Mint in June 2014, JetBlue has again disrupted the air travel status quo with a refreshing take on the premium experience that features a thoughtful product offering and exceptional service from specially trained JetBlue crewmembers.

"In just one year, Mint has taken off in a way that we never imagined and we're thrilled to bring even more Mint to customers who want to fly between JFK and the West Coast," said Marty St. George, executive vice president commercial and planning, JetBlue. "We've driven demand for Mint with low prices and the best premium experience in North America. Whether it's the touch of a handwritten note or their personalized attention to detail, customers rave about our inflight crewmembers who deliver a truly exceptional experience every day."

JetBlue's top-notch inflight service is matched by the Mint aircraft itself, which includes private suites, the widest seat and longest fully-flat bed in the U.S. domestic market (a), tapas-style dining, custom amenity kits, a 15-inch flat screen with 100+ channels of DIRECTV(R) programming and more than 100 channels of SiriusXM(R) satellite radio, and free broadband connectivity with their acclaimed Fly-Fi service. Additional frequencies will be available for purchase starting June 21, 2015.

Customers should also stay tuned for additional Mint fleet expansion in 2016.

All customers traveling on the additional flights will benefit from JetBlue's new Airbus A321 aircraft, which features the airline's new core experience. Every A321 offers the most legroom in coach (b), a new world-class seat designed to maximize comfort, larger 10.1" seatback screens with 100+ channels of DIRECTV(R) programming and more than 100 channels of SiriusXM(R) satellite radio, free Fly-Fi broadband Internet, in-seat power outlets accessible to all customers and a drink holder.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sammyindc
LGA is not an international airport. They do not have Customs and Immigration and flights from Canada are considered domestic on arrival since you clear US Customs and Immigration at most Canadian airports.
Actually, LGA is an international airport. There's actual definitions of what qualifies, and LGA does. Just because there is no regular customs setup, doesn't make it a domestic airport. Something about them having facilities for customs and to have staff/officers available if needed would qualify, I believe.

Having flights to/from Canada, regardless of the pre-clearance arrangements, shows it is international. But having international flights is not a pre-requisite to being an international airport anyway - certainly the ability for C&I to operate there is, and maybe other factors, as well. But there are many, possibly hundreds of international airports in the U.S. that don't have regularly scheduled international flights.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Jet Blue responding to the UA capacity cut with a capacity increase:

Beginning October 25, JetBlue will offer up to six daily Mint flights between New York and San Francisco. JetBlue will also add additional service between New York and Los Angeles beginning October 25, with up to 10 daily flights by February when the airline takes delivery of its newest A321 Mint aircraft.
@:-) If someone is going to give you their lunch, you might as well eat it...

SunLover
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by SunLover
UA is just propelling more formerly habitual customers into the "consideration pool," incenting them to check out other options. And the options on B6, AA, and VX are in many ways superior.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by BearX220
UA is just propelling more formerly habitual customers into the "consideration pool," incenting them to check out other options. And the options on B6, AA, and VX are in many ways superior.
Yes indeed, first thing I thought when seeing the JetBlue post was "Maybe I should give B6 a try on a transcon"...
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SunLover

SunLover
Ironically UA started dumping capacity on LAX/SFO-EWR routes to try to kill off VX competition in those markets and now they have a bigger problem on their hands. At the end of the B6 press release it says...with more Mint markets to be announced in 2016. BOS-LAX/SFO being at the top of the list.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, with no CPU-able flights between EWR-LAX/SFO left at all (if I am reading this correctly), this will make EWR less attractive for overseas connections - unless you are on a Y/B fare; not really an enhancement in my book.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220
not just habitual customers, but "high-value" habitual customers
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:42 am
Suspended

would this B6 increase mean perpetually $599 fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.