Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I still maintain it's a temporary blip...I have multiple PS flights in Dec that are still showing as "live". Once they get the schedules corrected, and move everyone over to EWR, all that R space is going to disappear.
I know...I did that specifically to beat the automatic reassignment of itineraries that would take up a lot of space.

As a bonus, I also got my R upgrade on LAX-JFK rebooked onto LAX-EWR, same lie-flat, but it's showing Z fare now...hello 1.5x PQM bonus! (hopefully)
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by minnyfly
UA commanded the highest fares on both LAX-JFK and SFO-JFK. Clearly their C product was highly competitive...
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Customers have spoken over and over. They will not pay more for premium. Price rules in a near commodity.
Aren't those contradictory thoughts?

And if the second thought is correct, why isn't Allegiant the biggest airline in the country?

Purchase decisions are based not only on price but schedule, convenience, service / brand reputation, reliability, and status / miles considerations.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: United GS, Emirates iO (Invitation Only)
Though this isn't a very common route for me, it's still really disappointing. EWR is a dump and I try to avoid it as much as possible (and have been able to for a long time).
Looks like I might just end up flying through IAH or ORD or maybe even fly JetBlue mint which is a very nice product, in the case that I need to go to from east/west coast, anything to avoid EWR and the struggle of getting from there to the city and Long Island. To me, flat beds aren't worth EWR ( which is just my opinion).
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
FWIW, there does appear to be quite a bit of R availability on the newly-upgraded EWR-LAX/SFO flights. I ran into a very nice United agent on the hotline who, in the process of changing an LAX-JFK to EWR, did me a solid and let me book my outbound EWR-LAX flight an hour earlier with no change fee - snagged R seats on that (I'm continuing on to TPAC, so getting on the waitlist is a no-brainer, IMO, if it means I could get 2 lie-flat flights). She basically treated it like a change to flight itinerary in other words...very nice of her ^
I too was able to call yesterday morning and get my November Y to J confirmed RPU flight changed to the same day (much earlier as a bonus) on a SFO-EWR flight that was showing R space. She put me on hold for about 2 minutes because she "had just read about the changes" and wanted to "check what they were supposed to do". I think she thought I was asking for them to open space but when she got back I said I already see the 7am has R space open and I just want to switch to that. Wasn't a problem. It is showing the p.s. config but I put myself in the front rows just in case there was/is a swap to INTL 757.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 10:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mduell
I think this is a huge win for jetBlue... all the *A carriers will partner with them for transcons (as some already have) rather than AA/DL.
Originally Posted by airplanegod
This is a win for B6 because now many of those carriers out of JFK (especially the Star Alliance carriers) can now feed the traffic continuing on to LAX/SFO to B6's Mint service.
Imagine B6 joining *A....will be the end of UA.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
If they actually flew anywhere you'd be right, but their network is tiny by comparison.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by mduell
I think this is a huge win for jetBlue... all the *A carriers will partner with them for transcons (as some already have) rather than AA/DL.

Originally Posted by airplanegod
This is a win for B6 because now many of those carriers out of JFK (especially the Star Alliance carriers) can now feed the traffic continuing on to LAX/SFO to B6's Mint service.
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
This is just LOL and -worthy.

There's likely almost zero connecting traffic of significance XXX-JFK-LAX/SFO for UA, given that almost every airline of significance when it comes to *A service to the USA flies nonstop into one or both of LAX and SFO (and some of the ones who don't fly into IAD). LH, LH, SQ, NH, OZ, and so on. Really, come on now.

JFK is an O/D airport for *A for NYC (given that LGA isn't capable of handling the kind of heavies and passenger capacity it would need to handle to be one). Has been for over a decade now, since UA wound down service from there (and you can't blame Smisek and the merger for that). UA doesn't have the slots to make JFK scale reasonably as a hub. They've chosen EWR and LGA. It's not an unreasonable decision given slot restrictions and being in a dogfight at JFK like AA, B6 and DL are. Really, where are the slots for a UA hub at JFK going to come from?

The TATL revenue-sharing JV that *A has isn't going to include B6. There's really no reason for LH/LX/etc. to steer connecting traffic to JFK over a UA hub. The JV also allows for price and schedule coordination. Can't do that with B6.

So, no, JFK isn't going to suddenly turn into a *A connecting hub because of B6 Mint and UA withdrawing.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jun 18, 2015 at 11:35 am
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: UA MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by jmanirish
That's one way of looking at it. UA clearly is hoping this will entice more J pax to actually book UA metal from the west coast. It made no sense to fly LAX-EWR-xxx(in Europe) in J when lax-ewr was in a crappy domestic F seat, when Lax-Fra/muc/Zrh-xxx on LH or Lx were priced identically. Now it swings things a bit more in favor of UA to avoid the infra-Europe "business" and get a lie-flat the whole way. And I can tell you that the lax-Europe business fares are a lot more than the lax-jfk o/d especially after b6 came in.
Hmm, I agree SFO/LAX-EWR-(EU) is a more attractive connection with flatbed seats all the way, but I would NEVER voluntarily take that over SFO/LAX-FRA/MUC/LHR-(intra EU). The red eyes from the East Coast to EU are too short to get a proper night's sleep.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 1Konsultant
Hmm, I agree SFO/LAX-EWR-(EU) is a more attractive connection with flatbed seats all the way, but I would NEVER voluntarily take that over SFO/LAX-FRA/MUC/LHR-(intra EU). The red eyes from the East Coast to EU are too short to get a proper night's sleep.
Which is why I have a hard time buying the "OH NOES WHAT ABOUT ALL THE HIGH VALUE TRAFFIC CONNECTING AT JFK FROM INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS?!?!?!". You, High Powered Executive Buying C are going to add a couple of hours to your flights and making it harder to sleep because... T7 at JFK is awesome? Riiiiiight.

First off, nobody going TPAC who isn't a "maximize my time in C/F" FTer is flying TPAC-JFK-LAX/SFO. So we can safely say it's TATL traffic.

Secondly, XXX-FRA/ZRH/MUC-SFO/LAX instead of XXX-FRA/ZRH/MUC-JFK-SFO/LAX. Hmm, this isn't exactly rocket science to figure out which itinerary's preferable. Unless you really dig ice cream sundaes.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
I agree that pmUA would have eventually made this move. While it makes sense in many respects, I don't think it's "smart" at all. While I avoid all NYC airports, EWR is always going to be #3 on that list, thanks to the often horrendous delays one experiences at an airport that has as few runways as EWR.

You could tear down all of the existing concourses and build beautiful new ones, and you'd still have the limited airfield space, which means long delays at peak periods.

FYI Nate Silver just updated his numbers, and JFK is now rated as slower than EWR (both are terrible of course, as is LGA): http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/flights/

It's really unfortunate capacity isn't increasing substantially. Booking 1-2 days out for J travel, I've rarely been able to find an LAX-EWR intl feeder flight with j space available. This is only going to make that worse..
Actually J capacity looks to be going up pretty substantially, as noted upthread.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
... suddenly..
Your words. No one said anything about "suddenly". Things take time. And no one said anything about connecting SFO/LAX-JFK-X. More like BOS-JFK-X, or PVD-JFK-X, or MNH-JFK-X, or BUF-JFK-X, or PHL-JFK-X, or ROC-JFK-X, or ...
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:13 pm

The worst part about this, for a NJ resident, is that EWR might eventually become a Untied Ghetto with everybody else at JFK.

I want more Jetblue options
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

As a bonus, I also got my R upgrade on LAX-JFK rebooked onto LAX-EWR, same lie-flat, but it's showing Z fare now...hello 1.5x PQM bonus! (hopefully)
I wouldn't advertise that on flyertalk, especially on a thread started by United. You may see it revert back to R in due course....
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP, FB Silver (former UA 1K)
Thank you for your informative reply. The challenge here is getting to WDH in something close to the original travel time of 29 hours. That's already a long haul. Notwithstanding the option of using *A carriers across the Pond, UA metal actually offers the best connections and E+ will be nice. I may upgrade with miles outbound and seek an accommodation on the co-pay. (Not something to which I'm entitled, but worth the ask since J will likely be empty on Xmas evening flight).

Originally Posted by Indelaware
No reason whatsoever that UA wouldn't route you through Europe. And it doesn't matter if it is UA metal. They'd prefer you to be on a j.v. partner, but they would re-route you on any *A without much hesitation.

Here are some other routes to consider:

SFO-IST-JNB on TK/TK. Dep SFO 610p Arv JNB 950a
SFO-IAD-ADD-JNB on UA/ET/ET. Dep SFO 1139p Arv JNB 110p

You might also, maybe, be able to talk UA into SFO-ORD-JFK on UA/DL or UA/AA

Or you could just overnight at JFK.

You might be interested to know that SFO-FRA-JNB-WDH is only 524 mi longer than SFO-JFK-JNB-WDH.

Last edited by Tunapalooza; Jun 18, 2015 at 12:40 pm
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Regulatory review posed no problems for the NW/DL, CO/UA, or US/AA mergers, which clearly affected competition and the consumer travel experience much more than this slot swap. I don't think it's a serious problem.
First PS is dead, and someone will buy the JFK spots. But DOT has not generally approved swaps at capacity controlled airports (especially with slots, see NYC, DCA) when it pushed up concentration. AA/US had issues, as did WN at DAL.

For many folks JFK/LGA is not a realistic option, and no way that DOT should allow UA to further increase concentration at EWR, particularly when the market power is created by a federal rule (slots).

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I would be surprised if they couldn't make ORD/IAH-JFK work. I guess JFK is an expensive operation.
I had not thought about this but JFK must be very senior, with high wage rates. If these people simple go to EWR, it does not help to get rid of them, but I would not be surprised if United's management simply looked at what it cost to run JFK vs. closing it, and did not think beyond that.

Originally Posted by kettle1
As I said up-thread, UA is currently the 2nd largest airline in the World. They can not provide service to IAH, DEN, ORD, IAD, SFO and LAX (all hubs) from JFK - something is wrong if they can not make a profit on those routes.

Forget LAX - UA can not compete on service levels in C (I get that). I question SFO being dropped, as that is a UA fortress hub? They can not make money going to ORD, IAD, and IAH? That, I question?
Having pondered on this some, in the pmUA days, I recall many times UA execs said that PS was about corporate accounts, and while slightly profitably, was not about the profits on that route, but about getting/keeping the corporate accounts. Access to NYC (all of it), LI, and southern CN was needed to sell the network.

Fast forward, we know that DL has said that is has done very well with Corporate share in NYC and LAX, and AA has said they have held their own. United has as far as I know, never said that its LAX or NYC (or for that matter SFO) share has increased. With VX and B6 in the market, those flyers are coming from somewhere. United has lost its yield premium post 2012 and badly underperformed DAL, AA, and now VX.

My assumption is that there has been so much damage to the high end and corporate business over the last three years that PS has gone from being a necessary part of retaining the corporate business to a huge drain now that that traffic is gone. So they hope to get a little bump from this. This said, I would expect the knock on impacts of this to further hurt UA with corporate and business travelers (at SFO, and particularly at LAX) and have long term impacts. But we all know that long term thinking is not part of the current UA play book.

Originally Posted by tuolumne

I think you're failing to realize that even if they loose a certain [perhaps large] percentage of premium o/d from JFK, the strategy is that it'll be more than made up by:

1) Drastically reducing building/staffing costs. I know these changes are hard, but I saw the writing on the wall for JFK as soon as the merger was complete. I was surprised JFK was kept on for this long to be perfectly honest, but I'd venture to guess that B6's Mint flights were the straw that finally broke the camel's back here.

2) Increasing the prestige and standing of the EWR hub, which lets be honest, vies with only SFO for being the primary strategic standing within the combined network. EWR's history non-withstanding, it's the future that matters, and the airport certainly has potential to transform itself..

I'll personally miss the SFO-JFK-SFO shuttle, but I can certainly see the favorable benefits from the company's perspective of consolidating all the traffic to Newark.

This has nothing to do with "Texas-think/wisdom" guys. This is a move that UAL Corp. would have made in a second if they had had EWR as their East-coast Atlantic gateway. And it's not even all the shrewd of a move - just a smart one.
I think the staffing cost reductions will not be that great, particuarly if those folks just go to EWR. I don't think adding PS flights (and I expect that the PS flights will be gone in a year or so) can fix the "prestige" of EWR. Folks who are currently flying via EWR (with out PS) will probably like the upgrade, but they may not like the higher prices/lack of upgrades. I seriously question if United can get more for its flights ex-EWR as PS vs the existing service (i.e. I don't think it can sell anywhere this number of BF seats at a premium price) and I doubt even more that most of its existing JFK traffic will just move over to EWR. I think much of that traffic is will just go. And I might add that UA appears to agree with me, as this is a major NET cut in sets SFO/LAX-NYC on UA.

Originally Posted by uanj
JFK and MIA were the last markets to be developed under UA's (late 70s early 80s?) business plan. UA intended to be the premier business airline of choice by supporting all of the largest business markets in the US. UA also did a lot of point to point flights to support business travel, this is how JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX got started.

Though we have not heard UA articulating such a strategy, the US market is in need of a true business traveler airline. One we can reliably count on in IRROPS. One that moves mountains when some operational issue causes delays or cxl's. DL comes a bit closer than AA or UA, but it would be a real opportunity for any of the US3 to focus on this.
This is clearly DL's statagy, and everything they have done in the last three years is directed at this. West Coast Shuttles, LAX/NYC build out, reorienting Asia flights ex-SEA, VS purchase, leading OT percentage, better service in F and EC. Its all oriented to the business traveler.

Originally Posted by BearX220
That's clearly the model DL aspires to domestically, and is showing genuine progress with product, network / route system, key markets, reliability, and irrops recovery.

The jury is obviously still out on what AA will become, the narrowcase A321 transcon proposition notwithstanding.

UA is shrinking from the "true business traveler airline" thing. They want to charge those prices, and the FF program is now mainly suited for OPM-spending business flyers, but they lack the products, key market presence, reliability, or irrops recovery.
+1. Exactly my view.

UA clearly is hoping this will entice more J pax to actually book UA metal from the west coast. It made no sense to fly LAX-EWR-xxx(in Europe) in J when lax-ewr was in a crappy domestic F seat, when Lax-Fra/muc/Zrh-xxx on LH or Lx were priced identically. Now it swings things a bit more in favor of UA to avoid the infra-Europe "business" and get a lie-flat the whole way. And I can tell you that the lax-Europe business fares are a lot more than the lax-jfk o/d especially after b6 came in.

I've complained a bunch about this because DL and AA all allowed for lie-flat service lax-Europe via Jfk by virtue of having their international flights out of JFK. This was a big gap for UA.

Only time will tell if the extra $$ from more international J traffic from the west coast will (more than?) offset the sure loss from O/D lax-jfk traffic.

It's really unfortunate capacity isn't increasing substantially. Booking 1-2 days out for J travel, I've rarely been able to find an LAX-EWR intl feeder flight with j space available. This is only going to make that worse.

Looks like I'll continue to book LH and GPU to F, and dismiss any GS or MM chances.
If United is expecting people to book paid J on UA SFO/LAX-EWR and then on to Europe, they ought to rethink. Y, yes, it will happen (and that may actually be hurt by the lack of domestic upgrades, I might have considered Domestic F to EWR, then E+, no way I would do it all in Y) but if someone is actually paying for F/J and not locked in to UA via a corporate deal, no way they would break up that fight with a stop in a world renowned armpit plagued by delay. Newark is widely recognized as the Calcutta of airline hubs. While the facilities at IAD are worse, IAD is at least on time. I bet if we took a poll, 95% of FTers would rather do a connection in IAD than EWR any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.