Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by entropy
Perception and group think is a hard think to change. CO tried for years to convince people that Gatwick was an easier/better/at least just as good as LHR, and they were salivating over the end of Bermuda2 because they knew that as much as they wanted to pretend it was the same, its not...
Exactly, only in the NYC case UACO is now forced to pretend the opposite, that the also-ran airport is just as good as the primary, preferred O/D one. And they will have their work cut out for them, to wit:

Originally Posted by dkc715
I was on a PS flight yesterday from LAX to JFK. Two GS agents were on board holding the hands of GS customers, listening to their customers tell them their transcon business is going to Jet Blue or Delta. The extremely nice agents were trying to get them to consider the service into EWR and touting the corporate lines. These particular customers appear to have made up their minds.
I expect they are far from alone.

...CO made a great investment in EWR, 15 years ago, and are still trumpeting that investment as if its new. but no question, they did build a very strong O/D and connecting operation.
More like close to 30 years ago. PeoplExpress commissioned Terminal C in the early '80s but went bust before it was done; CO christened it and moved in in 1987, and that was the beginning of CO's evolution away from its DEN-IAH axis. But not much has been done to enhance the EWR experience ever since except the monorail.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Which is why they come up with calling in Newark/New York. Or Liberty ... its all about making people forget its in the middle of the sewer that's NJ.
Because Jamaica, NY is such a paradise.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Maybe name the airport New York Liberty, or New York Newark (like BWI is named Baltimore Washington to signify its presence in Baltimore and Washington DC metro areas)
they already call it that... BWI 4 miles further than IAD from central Washington DC, and its still considered a low-cost airport..
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by BearX220
More like close to 30 years ago. PeoplExpress commissioned Terminal C in the early '80s but went bust before it was done; CO christened it and moved in in 1987, and that was the beginning of CO's evolution away from its DEN-IAH axis. But not much has been done to enhance the EWR experience ever since except the monorail.
For what it's worth, the 1999-2002 expansion that built C-3 at EWR cost about $1 billion, roughly $800m of which was paid by CO alone. So certainly a significant investment, regardless of whether you consider it something that 'enhanced' the EWR experience.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BearX220

I would not consider that monorail to be an enhancement.

When it was shut down for emergency maintenance last year, I found it easier to move between terminals and rental car on the substitute shuttle buses. And if the weather's pleasant, I prefer to walk between the terminals than take the monorail.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by dkc715
I was on a PS flight yesterday from LAX to JFK. Two GS agents were on board holding the hands of GS customers, listening to their customers tell them their transcon business is going to Jet Blue or Delta. The extremely nice agents were trying to get them to consider the service into EWR and touting the corporate lines. These particular customers appear to have made up their minds. Interesting to watch it play out on board.
By cutting total NYC to LA/SF capacity by 30% United is expecting a good chunk of this.

Question is how much - and none of us knows - though they do know the mix of passengers who have flown into both airports to at least get some sense of who has shown willingness to use both.

The adjustment valve they have is 1) reducing the number of 28 J seat aircraft and 2) reducing frequency if the forecast is grossly off.

Last step would be not promising premium transcon on all flights as noted above.

But with the 16 seaters they have a good amount of flexibility the way Delta does with its transcon operation.

And I wouldn't be surprised if a few of their bigger corporate contracts stipulate having a premium transcon service.

The one I wonder is long for this world is the 3 cabin setup on AA. They are selling those seats for $1597 roundtrip - a grand $300 premium over Business with half the density.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People, people, people: All three NYC-area airports suck. A lot. There's a grand plan to spend billions of dollars renovating LGA, and maybe it won't suck quite as much once that's completed. Most of the JFK terminals have been renovated, but it still resembles a dump overall, and getting to JFK is no picnic. Newark is a complete dump, but it's somewhat convenient for the northern NJ suburbs. And it's a pain to get to from no matter where you originate.

Originally Posted by fly18725
Actually, the DOT has approved every proposed slot swap. There have been slot divestitures required with mergers.
Eventually, the government approved the DL-US slot swap, but it required some divestitures, and that was not a merger.

Ideally, the government will deny this slot swap and UA and DL will not be permitted to enhance their already-dominant positions at EWR and JFK, respectively.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:30 pm

The real underlying problem is the inability, due to poor political policy or lack of investment, of ATC and airport infrastructure to keep up with growth. There are too many planes in the skies around NYC and in the northeast corridor.

Its a simple fact that the job of ATC is to ensure the safety of all flights under their control. They do not care if you have to circle, divert, sit on the ramp for hours, or have your flight canceled. They and the rules they follow have limited bandwidth and few on the Hill care to spend the money to increase that bandwidth.

Disclosure: Airline Employee, this post is my own opinion.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FWAAA
People, people, people: All three NYC-area airports suck. A lot. .
The airports as a whole may suck but Terminal 5 at JFK is actually quite nice. They have lots of security lines and the restaurants are quite good. Wifi doesn't work all that well all the time but aside from that Terminal 5 is quite a pleasant experience compared to LGA, EWR, or Terminal 4 at JFK.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The airports as a whole may suck but Terminal 5 at JFK is actually quite nice. They have lots of security lines and the restaurants are quite good. Wifi doesn't work all that well all the time but aside from that Terminal 5 is quite a pleasant experience compared to LGA, EWR, or Terminal 4 at JFK.
Terminal 8 at JFK (AA) is new and perfectly fine as well.

As was F on the A321 from JFK to LAX yesterday, which I commuted to from our offices in midtown. No one in our offices voluntarily uses EWR.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
The one I wonder is long for this world is the 3 cabin setup on AA. They are selling those seats for $1597 roundtrip - a grand $300 premium over Business with half the density.
Much more than half the density. While the configuration is 1+1, the angled nature of the seat means that the seat pitch between rows is also much lower in F than in J. I would estimate that AA's A321T F density is closer to 75% of its J density.

Also, those roundtrip prices require 30-day advance purchase. Tickets for next week are more like $4500.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Agreed - DL made C/D at LGA shockingly nice. AA's D concourse at LGA is amazingly far nicer than UA's C concourse 100 feet away.

I still don't get the JFK hate, T4/5/8 are all quite good, and T7 is a nice little haven. UC reps were incredulous today when I was talking to them.

The high-C gates at EWR-C were a nice experience (about the only one at EWR IMO) but they just butchered that by putting in yet more retail in the middle of the nice open space.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC AA
Much more than half the density. While the configuration is 1+1, the angled nature of the seat means that the seat pitch between rows is also much lower in F than in J. I would estimate that AA's A321T F density is closer to 75% of its J density.

Also, those roundtrip prices require 30-day advance purchase. Tickets for next week are more like $4500.
Both B6 and AA fly A321 on their transcons so let's look at that. Between doors 1 and 2, it's 10F on AA or 16J on B6, which equates to 63% density

The 4 suite seats on B6 have aisle access, so one can say they *nearly* rival that of AA F. Available for as low as $599 apiece one-way.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by SJC AA

First award space at the Saver level is wide open on those flights next week.

They are charging $4500 in Business on those flights. DL and UA are also charging $4500.

Hard to find a meaningful premium for First on AA.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Jun 19, 2015 at 1:20 pm
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
JetBlue fits 16 seats in the same forward cabin of an A321. 8 F on AA is half the density.
No - AA would have half the density if B6 had 20 seats...since AA actually has 10 seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.