Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
No - AA would have half the density if B6 had 20 seats...since AA actually has 10 seats.
Also, the comparison was to AA's J density, not B6's (which I would have to imagine is somewhere in between AA F and AA J).
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by entropy
they already call it that... BWI 4 miles further than IAD from central Washington DC, and its still considered a low-cost airport..
And BWI is a PITA to get to from most of Northern Virginia, so it isn't in the mix for many.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:22 pm

No - AA would have half the density if B6 had 20 seats...since AA actually has 10 seats.
Yes LAXIAD has it. 63%.

Fitting 16 seats up there is a real option for AA.

Don't think the small gaps we are seeing between first and business fares is what they had in mind when launching this. Mint just wasn't on the radar.

They aren't putting much into the soft product (much like UA...) - could be a lot more differentiated than it is.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Originally Posted by neuron
Jetblue will be increasing their service on this route.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...ited/28930155/
"JetBlue will offer up to six daily Mint flights from JFK to San Francisco, up from four today. The airline also plans to add up to 10 daily flights to Los Angeles by February, when the airline takes delivery of its latest Airbus A321 aircraft."

I haven't flown JetBlue before, but just watched that video at the USA Today link. The Mint "suite" looks pretty good, I may give this a try when they expand their routes to L.A. in February (The JFK vs. EWR thing doesn't personally affect me materially, except for losing GS access to the GFL in JFK - I typically cab or black car it in to midtown). While I have a slight preference for JFK, my main worry as others have also noted, is that this is the beginning of the end for p.s.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Yes LAXIAD has it. 63%.

Fitting 16 seats up there is a real option for AA.

Don't think the small gaps we are seeing between first and business fares is what they had in mind when launching this. Mint just wasn't on the radar.

They aren't putting much into the soft product (much like UA...) - could be a lot more differentiated than it is.
I also roughly estimate the J seat is roughly 3.25x the floor space as the Y one.

If AA/DL matches the $599 fares, they would have to price their Y at $184 a.i. one-way or less to even maintain the same revenue per square foot ratio. Or put it in the reverse - a typical $500 a.i. RT econ fare means the J fare should be $1625 or more.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:44 pm

On a separate note, does anybody know the status of AA's F cabin on the A321's? There were rumors from some credible posters a few months back in the AA forum that the new regime was going to either rationalize, or get rid of, the 3-class F altogether.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Agreed - DL made C/D at LGA shockingly nice. AA's D concourse at LGA is amazingly far nicer than UA's C concourse 100 feet away.
Has anyone noticed that the leaking ceiling near the payphones in the UA C concourse has remained unrepaired for, what, 10 years? What an embarrassment....
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I'm pretty sure UA knew this decision wouldn't make everyone happy but there are some other real positives about this move. Keeping a station open where you only serve 2 markets and 3 of your competitors have actual hubs there made it an uphill climb from the start.

Moving the P.S. planes from JFK to EWR and closing the JFK station has freed up about a dozen or so A320 and B737 aircraft as well as a couple 757-300s that can now be used to beef up other domestic service or replace RJ flying.

We get it that some of you hate EWR and New Jersey in general. EWR works very well for UA and the flight options/destinations they can offer from their hub is more diverse than any carrier in the region so they're smart building on it.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuolumne
On a separate note, does anybody know the status of AA's F cabin on the A321's? There were rumors from some credible posters a few months back in the AA forum that the new regime was going to either rationalize, or get rid of, the 3-class F altogether.
I know this statement I'm about to make isn't indicative of anything statistically, but from all my anecdotal searches on the premium transcons with AA, saver F is always far more available than J.

One thing I wished were the A321 flights departing out of JFK "T8A" instead of "T8B satellite". I think only the T8A side has a F lounge, so if you want to board early you'll have to leave a bit earlier.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LAXIAD8
I know this statement I'm about to make isn't indicative of anything statistically, but from all my anecdotal searches on the premium transcons with AA, saver F is always far more available than J.
This is the case using Avios as well. A few days before the flight free seats open up using Avios in F class most every day. Nearly impossible to use BA miles on AA in J on these flights.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PenaltyBox
I'm pretty sure UA knew this decision wouldn't make everyone happy but there are some other real positives about this move. Keeping a station open where you only serve 2 markets and 3 of your competitors have actual hubs there made it an uphill climb from the start.

Moving the P.S. planes from JFK to EWR and closing the JFK station has freed up about a dozen or so A320 and B737 aircraft as well as a couple 757-300s that can now be used to beef up other domestic service or replace RJ flying.

We get it that some of you hate EWR and New Jersey in general. EWR works very well for UA and the flight options/destinations they can offer from their hub is more diverse than any carrier in the region so they're smart building on it.
Heck, I dislike NJ immensely (I will rip on everything Garden State if you would like), but I do think this makes sense from an overall strategic sense.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond

One thing I wished were the A321 flights departing out of JFK "T8A" instead of "T8B satellite". I think only the T8A side has a F lounge, so if you want to board early you'll have to leave a bit earlier.
Both the 09:00 and 10:00 flights out of JFK T8 yesterday for LAX were out of T8-A.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Absolutely matches my experience searching as well. They typically hold it until 3-5 days before departure, then dump it at saver levels when it doesn't sell. In my most recent search that meant 5 flights to choose from for JFk-lax in F...and only 12.5k more, even as part of an international itin. That lack of revenue pax cannot be sustainable.

While many corporate pax can book J, there just aren't enough that can book 3 cabin F to sustain tha amount of F capacity AA has implemented.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by EWR764
For what it's worth, the 1999-2002 expansion that built C-3 at EWR cost about $1 billion, roughly $800m of which was paid by CO alone. So certainly a significant investment, regardless of whether you consider it something that 'enhanced' the EWR experience.
It was cool when it opened up, but has really dated itself quickly and has issues. It's not even big enough to encompass all of UA's international arrivals in the afternoon. So technically they didn't even make it big enough when they built it:

The C-134 to C137 gate area is windowless and at least 1-2 gates are routinely out of service for the TLV flights (C138-C39 I think). Restrooms require long walks and there isn't a ton of shopping either -- just a below average food court. No GDS at at the gates either.

The strongest thing it has going for is it's use of natural lighting.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 19, 2015 at 7:50 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed - http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#offensive
Old Jun 19, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
The strongest thing it has going for is it's use of natural lighting.
And Smashburger

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.