Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA

.... it's clear that UA doesn't see EWR as a perfect substitute for NYC airports or else it would be selling its LGA slots and moving all those flights to EWR.
What about White Plains? I don't recall any mention of this smaller airport north and east of NYC.

Could UA increase its volume to HPN to attract some of those HVFs from southern Connecticut and Westchester? Perhaps more E175s?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
[delete]
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by fly18725
No business succeeds by trying to cater to everyone.
And no "full service" airline prospers catering to solely to GS--a miniscule percentage of passengers--and Kayakers.

Yet that is COdbaUA's business model.

Originally Posted by transportprof
What about White Plains? I don't recall any mention of this smaller airport north and east of NYC.

Could UA increase its volume to HPN to attract some of those HVFs from southern Connecticut and Westchester? Perhaps more E175s?
Aren't there enough RJs already?

Per seat costs are higher on RJs than mainline aircraft. UA needs fewer RJs--not more.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Just booked JFK-SFO on 10/17 and found some R space! A great sendoff to JFK.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
And no "full service" airline prospers catering to solely to GS--a miniscule percentage of passengers--and Kayakers.

Outside of comments on FlyerTalk, I see no evidence to support that United is not catering to a broad cross-section of passengers. The complaints about the number of pax in Group 1 is also contradictory to that comment.

The move to EWR does alienate some pax. United was never going to win with those focused on JFK, particularly with the resurgent AA and Delta and the Mint.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

100% accurate. Not to get too off topic, but the existence of GS and the upgrade priority changes after the merger made 1K significantly less than what it used to be. No such comparison with EXP or Diamond.

Now, back on topic with this change, I don't think they took HVF's into consideration who strongly prefer JFK. I predict many will avoid UA from California to NYC as a result of this change.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Too much travel
Ah - I believe you're thinking that the majority of premium class passengers flying internationally into or out of the New York area are local, when in fact most are non-US passengers like myself. I've never had to take a connecting flight into JFK because, well, JFK has much broader set of international linkages than EWR.
Plus most non-US passengers assume that JFK is the only airport in the USA, and certainly the only one that one can fly into from their home country. So the bulk of them don't even look at EWR when flying into the USA. That has nothing to do with access or convenience or price or flight availability, it has to do with simple ignorance.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I'd say that's a pretty apt description of the SQ and EK business model. 10 abreast and/or 5 cpm longhaul fares in the back and fantastic service up front for the high fare premium cabins.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fly18725
The move to EWR does alienate some pax. United was never going to win with those focused on JFK, particularly with the resurgent AA and Delta and the Mint.
IOW, UA isn't offering a competitive product at JFK, right?

Originally Posted by demkr
Now, back on topic with this change, I don't think they took HVF's into consideration who strongly prefer JFK. I predict many will avoid UA from California to NYC as a result of this change.
Other than the new LHR UC and their recent upgrade to F cabin food, I don't think UA has been taking HVF's into consideration in any aspect since the merger.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Plus most non-US passengers assume that JFK is the only airport in the USA, and certainly the only one that one can fly into from their home country. So the bulk of them don't even look at EWR when flying into the USA. That has nothing to do with access or convenience or price or flight availability, it has to do with simple ignorance.
Are you being sarcastic? I highly doubt that this is the case.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by transportprof

I gave up on HPN when UA pulled the E70s and replaced with crap E145s. I think the market is too HVF for them to serve, they don't know how

I will be flying an AA 2 cabin RJ there in Sept, I look forward to it.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MattR23
Are you being sarcastic? I highly doubt that this is the case.
Well, if you look at the passenger numbers for JFK vs. EWR, foreign visitors prefer JFK over EWR by a huge margin. So maybe they know there are other US airports than JFK, but they clearly prefer JFK.

http://www.transportation.gov/sites/...e%202014_3.pdf
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
I'd say that's a pretty apt description of the SQ and EK business model. 10 abreast and/or 5 cpm longhaul fares in the back and fantastic service up front for the high fare premium cabins.
Not at all. That is making a comparison with blinders on.

SQ and EK don't abandon major economic centers (e.g., JFK in favor of proprietary secondary airports [EWR]) and do not focus solely on PPS Solitaire members (SQ's equivalent of GS), ignoring everyone else in-between, categorizing them with disdain as "over-entitled elites."

SQ and EK offer a premium product in C and F that passengers are actually willing to pay for. UA instead offers a poor product and instead relies upon captive hubs and corporate contracts, which has resulted in declining PRASM numbers.

Trying to compare UA to SQ and EK is like trying to compare shopping at Walmart to Nordstrom. It is a silly comparison.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I would assume that if people who aren't savvy travelers want to fly to the US from other countries, they search Google or other travel Web sites for flights to "United States" or to "New York". Results for such searches lump EWR with the other NYC airports.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by halls120
Well, if you look at the passenger numbers for JFK vs. EWR, foreign visitors prefer JFK over EWR by a huge margin. So maybe they know there are other US airports than JFK, but they clearly prefer JFK.

http://www.transportation.gov/sites/...e%202014_3.pdf
Agreed; that's a lot different than saying "most non-US passengers assume that JFK is the only airport in the USA."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.