Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by JakiChan
I took public transit to EWR once. Sorry, but lugging my luggage through public transit is not worth the pain, aggravation, and sweat. And flying to EWR isn't worth United's crappy product. Then again, the only time I'd fly UA transcon is to be with my partner and he has to bribe me with Y to do it. Now maybe he'll fly VX more with me...
I was agreeing with you.

I was just pointing out a way you can save $40 -45 by taking a few minute path journey with elevators at both sides.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
- if flying paid J/F, no free UC access on PS (don't believe this has been mentioned too much)
Wait, is this confirmed?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Whatever one may think of EWR - I think it is a great airport - to say that JFK is "Americas premier International airport," is a bit of a stretch.
Not really. I think you are just hung up on EWR being part of a source of NJ history & pride more than it's handicapped functionality compared to JFK.

JFK is more of a premier int'l airport as it has far more international carriers, domestic hubs & competition, a better overall on-time rate, newer terminals, more space.

EWR is crippled in comparison. High fares, less competition, inferior public transit options, more delays/diversions etc.

As I said before, I'm from NJ and it's hard to stand up for EWR at this point. It's just an aggravating experience start to finish. It's great for people from NJ to have access to a hub and contribute to UA's hub captive setup, but they are sheep and are ignorant to the fact that UA is hosing them.

Last edited by REPUBLIC757; Jun 17, 2015 at 3:32 pm
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Seen several posts lamenting the loss of CPU on this route. Has anyone actually been regularly clearing CPUs on SFO<>EWR recently? Even as a 1K, I feel somewhat lucky when I get it using instruments!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Cargojon
So to summarize 30-some pages of waxing philosophical on this move, those that have already left UA and/or who live on Long Island hate it. Those who live on the other side of the Hudson love it.
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Anyone NYC, not just on the other side of the Hudson.
Count me as an Upper West Sider who should like this change but hates it. I take the subway and AirTrain to JFK and don't have to worry about traffic or weather when doing the commute. And if a delayed plane gets me in at 2am I can still take the AirTrain and LIRR to Manhattan. Newark doesn't offer the late-night option. The bus at Port Authority works if there is no traffic and it isn't peak season. But since the PA is the last Manhattan stop the bus can be full by the time it arrives and only a few can get on.

Getting to JFK was easy and reliable. Getting to EWR is a crapshoot.

Oh, and I fly ps about every 6 weeks and always sit in J with an upgrade or paid ticket.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
There are two prisons, a brewery, and a solid waste transfer facility within a mile of the EWR perimeter. Depending on which way the winds are blowing you can get an interesting mix of aromas!
not to mention all those chemical plants along the Turnpike?
(or are they petroleum refineries?)

I pity the United employees who have to work at EWR instead of JFK.
JFK is no picnic area, but at least it smells better than the EWR area.

Having said that, I do like EWR as an airport because it's easy to
connect to Amtrak Acela and regional trains.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:34 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I predict they'll drop the p.s. branding completely, not unlike when Singapore Airlines unceremoniously renamed Raffles to Business Class. Same product. Different plain name.

For competitive reasons, I'd be surprised if the flat-bed seats went away, but I also might not be shocked if they "right size" some off-peak flights to a 737 when premium equipment is not needed (like, Saturday night redeyes, for example). In sum, it'll look and act just like Continental.

Remember that p.s. was born in part out of United's desire to offload its 767-200 fleet after 2001, and was a gentle poke at AA's continued use of the aging 767 on transcon flights. It was seen as innovative at the time. It has barely evolved since it launched, except to reduce to a 2-cabin layout.

Innovation does not seem to be in United's DNA any more. From my perspective, DL leads the pack among the major carriers with product innovation. They were the first to proactively to go heavy on GoGo Wifi, heavy on 2-cabin regional jets and heavy on premium amenities (like free booze and snacks in Economy Comfort).

AA have been a fast follower. United seems to be on a completely different strategic tangent - "we'll give the customers what WE want, and they'll buy it because there is frequently no other option."
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer

#1 Has been predicted for over 10 years and hasn't happened
#2 I don't think there is any way UA will ever give away meals for free in coach domestically, in the absence of competitive pressure forcing it. and since the move to EWR eliminates competitive pressure, it won't lead to meals in coach.
#3 Even if we forget the perimeter rule for the moment, the fact that UA shut down JFK's non-stops to SFO/LAX means it is virtually impossible that they would be interested in opening the same thing from LGA. it's contrary to the hub consolidation strategy the JFK shutdown clearly demonstrates. at least it won't happen under this management team.
Re #3, UA flies to all its hubs except LAX from DCA, despite having a hub at IAD. The SFO flight was added not too long. I'm sure if the perimeter rule ever goes away, UA would very quickly try to serve SFO and maybe even LAX from LGA.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
- if flying paid J/F, no free UC access on PS (don't believe this has been mentioned too much)
What?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes right now is the time to book your "ps" flights for post-October 25 if you want to upgrade or burn miles.
Done - booked BF DCA-EWR-SFO at Thanksgiving (!!) for 25K miles. No co-pay. Lots of saver BF availability in November.

This is definitely a negative if they keep the restrictive upgrade rules for PS service, as I assume they will (the current "window of opportunity" not withstanding). Although as others have said it's very rare to get an upgrade these days on any TCON route especially to SFO with so many 319/320s on the route.

I'll be curious to see what the east coast domestic connections price out at going forward. Currently it seems SHARES often drives you to EWR over IAD or ORD, but maybe they'll start driving some of that traffic away from EWR to hold the seats for these mysterious HVFs who are following UA to EWR...
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
a better decision would have been to build up JFK service (or does UA admit it can't compete with DL or AA??)
With what JFK slots during prime flying times do you propose they do this with?

Or do you propose that UA can build up service with a bunch of redeye flights out of JFK, or times that no rational human being would fly at unless the prices were stupid cheap ("Now boarding our 3am service to...")? Because that's what exists at JFK, it's a slot-restricted airport during peak travel times. AA/B6/DL are surely not going to hand out slots to UA. So where does this expanded service come from? (AS added service by flying an overnight redeye out of SEA getting in at 5 am, 7 am service out of JFK, not a great flight time. AA doesn't even fly a lot of West Coast transcons compared to DL/B6... and recall that UA has ORD/IAH/DEN-LGA service that's arguably more convenient for business travel than JFK.)

Like it or lump it, UA decided over a decade ago that JFK wasn't a priority for them by dropping flights like JFK-NRT/LHR (and corresponding slots). They are quite rationally ditching a airport that three airlines service as a hub (B6, AA, DL) and two routes that four airlines fly with premium products (B6, VX, DL, AA), at a time where B6's entry into the market is depressing prices. It's not an important connecting hub in their system. Concentrating UA's NYC service at LGA and EWR makes sense.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:55 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Even bag delivery takes longer at EWR than it does at JFK!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
I honestly don't get why all of the Jersey folks love it (note: my office is in NJ), UNLESS they are buying paid J/F
- no more CPU I'm guessing nobody outside of GS and a few 1K's are clearing many trans-con CPU's anyway?
- back-breaking mile/$ co-pays if wanting to UG This is unchanged JFK vs. EWR
- not really any new frequency on the route (a couple more per route, a drop in the bucket)So there really is increased frequency, just as not as much as you'd like to see?
- if flying paid J/F, no free UC access on PS (don't believe this has been mentioned too much)If you afford paid J/F, you can afford $400 for a club membership.
See my answers in red.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 3:59 pm

Have you actually lived in CT? I've never, ever met a single person who takes "the train" from CT to EWR.
Yes, I have lived in CT. And yes, I have taken the train from CT to EWR (as well as EWR to CT) -- many times. And why not, one can even get it on the same ticket?

You are conclusively wrong saying "EWR is easier than JFK coming from CT". JFK is about ~40 miles, EWR is ~60 from lower CT. I'm always happy knowing I can fly from JFK vs. EWR on UA (or I was happy)...JFK is just faster and easier.
CT-EWR: One train
CT-JFK: Two or more trains

CT-EWR much easier.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL GM, Hertz 5*, Marriott Plat
Lightbulb some data about the planned change...

Without rehashing the discussions that have been made so far... something didn't sit well with me with this announcement, as it seemed to me a "hidden" capacity cut (as some have surmised). So I took some time today to compare the schedules between Monday, October 19 (before the p.s. move to EWR) and Monday, October 26 (after the move) to find out what's going on with the transcon capacity to the NYC area. Not so much the frequencies, but the available seats, as I think that will make for interesting discussion.

(I know, I know... schedules and equipment may not be confirmed until a few weeks before the flight, etc etc... but at least this info gives us an idea of the general numbers behind the change)

tl;dr - overall transcon (LAX/SFO) capacity to the NYC area is cut by ~30%; additionally, EWR-LAX/SFO capacity remains more-or-less flat (with an increase in premium seats and decrease in economy seats)

Key:
All = total seats available between the city pairs
Premium = total premium (BusinessFirst + Domestic First) seats available
Economy = total economy (E+ and E-) seats available
BF = Lie-Flat BusinessFirst seats
First = Domestic First seats
E+/E- = Economy Plus / regular economy

Now, on to the data...

Available seats between EWR+JFK and SFO
Code:
NYC-SFO Market	All	Premium	Economy	BF	First	E+	E-
Seats Before	3410	440	2970	228	212	1041	1929
Seats After	2434	376	2058	376	0	750	1308
Difference	-976 	-64 	-912 	148 	-212 	-291 	-621 
Percent Change	-29%	-15%	-31%	65%	-100%	-28%	-32%
Available seats between EWR+JFK and LAX
Code:
NYC-LAX Market	All	Premium	Economy	BF	First	E+	E-
Seats Before	2962	388	2574	200	188	861	1713
Seats After	2062	268	1794	268	0	600	1194
Difference	-900 	-120 	-780 	68 	-188 	-261 	-519 
Percent Change	-30%	-31%	-30%	34%	-100%	-30%	-30%
As some correctly guessed, there is indeed a sizable capacity cut across the board for transcon flights. Approximately 30% reduction in available seats for both cabins on NYC-LAX. The economy cabin on NYC-SFO sees a similar reduction, but the premium cabin sees a smaller reduction of 15%. I can expect higher fares as a result.

The only advantage I see is for p.s. flyers that (a) always sit in the BF cabin and (b) don't care about flying out of EWR. Their options for BF seats goes up by 10x NYC-SFO and 7x NYC-LAX.

What's more interesting is if you take out the JFK flights and solely compare the schedules ex-EWR before and after the change:

Available seats between EWR and SFO
Code:
EWR-SFO Market	All	Premium	Economy	BF	First	E+	E-
Seats Before	2416	244	2172	32	212	705	1467
Seats After	2434	376	2058	376	0	750	1308
Difference	18 	132 	-114 	344 	-212 	45 	-159 
Percent Change	1%	54%	-5%	1075%	-100%	6%	-11%
Available seats between EWR and LAX
Code:
EWR-LAX Market	All	Premium	Economy	BF	First	E+	E-
Seats Before	2110	220	1890	32	188	573	1317
Seats After	2062	268	1794	268	0	600	1194
Difference	-48 	48 	-96 	236 	-188 	27 	-123 
Percent Change	-2%	22%	-5%	738%	-100%	5%	-9%
There isn't a huge change in overall capacity (in fact, in LAX, capacity is trimmed by about 2%). What's more, total economy seats out of EWR will be reduced by 5% with this change.

This indicates to me that they anticipate not many JFK flyers switching airport allegiances - and, as many have guessed, that this is a way to pull seats out of a highly competitive transcontinental route in order to reduce capacity (and theoretically increase profits).

Methodology: I took the 10/19 and 10/26 schedules from united.com, along with the planned equipment for each flight and the types+counts of each seat available (thanks United Fleet Website!), as the basis for the information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.