Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Will Never be a World-Class Airline Until They Get Rid of CRJs on Major Routes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Will Never be a World-Class Airline Until They Get Rid of CRJs on Major Routes.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I think my earlier point is still valid, which is that ATL is a GIANT hub (almost 1,000 flights daily). DEN is maybe 1/3 of that. Why would there be any expectation that DEN-ATL on UA would be anywhere close to the same capacity that DL offers, given how much larger ATL is of a hub for DL, relative to DEN for UA.

It's hard to make an apples to apples comparison. If I look at DL flights to MSP-IAH (basically, from one of Delta's smaller hubs to one of UA's largest), they fly 6x RJs there (CRJ-900s). So on that basis, one could say that maybe UA could throw on a couple more flights to ATL, but given relative size, I find it hard to argue that UA should put more than 1 or 2 more flights on the route (granted, this is not really an economic analysis of the situation, but just proportional sizing given ATL is still nearly 2x the size of UA"s IAH hub).
What about ORD-ATL? ORD-DTW? ORD is bigger than DTW but its still mostly all regional. ORD and ATL, yes ORD isn't the same size as ATL but it's close. How could UA justify flying mostly rj's when DL was flying 757's, MD90's and 717's. Now 739's are on the route.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by cornfedcowboy
IMO the heavy use of CRJ and ERJ aircraft is the number one reason for scoring low on customer satisfaction polls. Virtually every customer that sets foot on these flying sardine cans is dismayed. Doesn't matter if the service is great and the flights are on time. Until this changes, United will be bottom of the barrel.
The looks and sighs and open frustration when people realize its a tiny plane that cant even handle the carry on's and they have to gate check everything, and wait 15 mins after deplaning to retrieve in crowded jet bridge, yes, people hate that. I am not sure why anyone is even arguing this.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
May I suggest? NEVER start your search on Delta.com! Or United.com. Or AA.com.

Unless, of course, you are completely beholden to a single airline.

Always start with google flights, hipmunk, kayak, or whatever tool you prefer. Even if you end up clicking through to DL.com to buy, at least you'll see other options / routing / pricing before you buy.

I see what you are saying, but there are on some routes for instance that I do not even bother going to kaya or momondo, I know what airline I want, and for example with DL I use their two week low fare guide, and thats it.
Old May 27, 2015, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by davidviolin
I know what airline I want, and for example with DL I use their two week low fare guide, and thats it.
What is a 'two week low fare guide'?
Old May 27, 2015, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
The looks and sighs and open frustration when people realize its a tiny plane that cant even handle the carry on's and they have to gate check everything, and wait 15 mins after deplaning to retrieve in crowded jet bridge, yes, people hate that. I am not sure why anyone is even arguing this.
If they had the demand for seats to justify a bigger plane I'm sure they'd use it. They're not going to put a 787 on that route just to make people feel better while they fly with 20% of their seats sold.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
I wasn't confusing it at all. First Officer flies plenty of the flights too. Captains go to bathrooms, captains go on breaks etc etc
Ridiculous comment. Captain is in the Left Seat during Take off and Landings and any weather. He is the one that is responsible whether First Officer has hands on yoke or not.

How would you like to have some 1000 hour pilot with your life or Captain Sullenberger who landed in the Hudson.

There is no substitute for experience and that is what you get in Full Size jets.

You don't get it with Mini Jets. Simple as that!
Old May 28, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kapkap46
Ridiculous comment. Captain is in the Left Seat during Take off and Landings and any weather. He is the one that is responsible whether First Officer has hands on yoke or not.

How would you like to have some 1000 hour pilot with your life or Captain Sullenberger who landed in the Hudson.

There is no substitute for experience and that is what you get in Full Size jets.

Captains on regional jets have thousands of hours of experience. First officers have to have at least 1,500. They are not inexperienced aviators.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Who ever suggested UA wants to be a world class airline? It wants to be a profitable one.
Profitable today. But its profits have trailed its competition. Significantly. And what about tomorrow?

Does anyone seriously think UA's current business plan is savvy and a good long-term strategy?
Old May 28, 2015, 5:03 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
This is one of the most bizarre threads I've ever seen. "World class" and "US carrier" have been orthogonal since the glory days of Pam Am.

Smisek Air? World class? Perhaps if the world is Pluto.
Old May 28, 2015, 6:00 am

What is a 'two week low fare guide'?
Go to delta.com and select "flexible days" when you search. Gives you a decent guide to what days are lower priced.

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
If they had the demand for seats to justify a bigger plane I'm sure they'd use it. They're not going to put a 787 on that route just to make people feel better while they fly with 20% of their seats sold.
Right, chicken and the egg... They can either provide better planes and better service and people will notice and fly UA more. Or they can provide bad service and horrible planes and people will notice and fly them less. And then when they can't find smaller planes, they cut frequency.

Casing point: UA used to fly RJ ONLY between ATL-NYC I would say about 6 times daily. Now they switched to mainline A319's, with at least one 738 per day, and the planes are mostly full, just like when they used RJ's. People notice.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:46 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by CALMSP
its actually quite simple. DL is pulling all pax for everything in the SE plus local. the connecting opportunities out of ATL far exceed anything DEN has to offer.
Connectivity is a function of the number of destinations served, capacity and number of departures. Delta has a massive number of flights, seats and destinations served from ATL, an operation which is orders of magnitude larger than UAL @ DEN.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Baze
If shareholders actually flew the airline they would never put up with things. But because it is institutionally owned they don't care, as long as the profits are there in shareholder value.
I doubt investors in Dollar General ever set foot in the stores, either.

Patently false assertions there.

They can either provide better planes and better service and people will notice and fly UA more. Or they can provide bad service and horrible planes and people will notice and fly them less. And then when they can't find smaller planes, they cut frequency.
The argument that UA schedules RJs on some trunk routes because that's what the traffic will bear overlooks the probability that the RJs are repelling traffic. It can be a self-accelerating failure spiral: bad planes --> fewer customers --> less demand --> more bad planes --> even fewer customers.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: AADULtArer

Captain Sullenbergers command inputs were over-ridden by the Airbus software to conform to the descent.

The success of the 'Miracle on the Hudson' was a result of pilot, co-pilot, crew, passengers, ATC, and first responders in the NY Metro area - not just pilot training.

Debates about safety of mainline vs RJ are usually infantile.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:50 am

Go to delta.com and select "flexible days" when you search. Gives you a decent guide to what days are lower priced.
How on earth would that be valuable to me? (on DL.com, UA, AA, or an airfare search site)

When I travel for a meeting, the meeting is fixed and I need to get there.

When I travel personally, I may look at the 'low fares +/- 3 days' option, but in most cases we have a fixed date of departure and return.

Perhaps one day far in the future when we are retired, we will have the luxury of looking at two week windows to find less expensive flights!
Old May 28, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
How on earth would that be valuable to me? (on DL.com, UA, AA, or an airfare search site)
As I showed above, the year before Jeff introduced his "savvy" plan, United made MORE money (by $100M) than did Delta. In the first three years of his plan (which was supposed to result in an extra $1.2B in profits/year) UA made either 1/8 (if you included the massive integration related expenses) or 1/2 (if you don't) of what Delta did...

Why? Well a large part of it is that United used to have large numbers of people who just flew UA, even though they had options on most/all routes. They were happy enough with the service and they got valuable benefits from concentration their flying on UA. They had a flight, they just went to UA.com. I used to do this, lots of people I know used to do this, lots of people I know still do this, just not on UA.com, they now go to VX.com, or DL.com or AA.com.

When Jeff and his Houston crew took over, United changed the value proposition. They focused on upsell revenue (following the advise of the hunter keays of the world), and did so to the dramatic detriment of those who flew they day in and day out, and then they cut the OT reliability, reduced IRROPs recovery, and cut the quality of the hard and soft product.

We see the results on this board day in and day out. People who used to mostly/exclusively fly UA (and would have paid more to concentrate their flying on UA) now (a) don't fly UA at all, book away from UA, or (b) only fly UA when its clearly the best option and then when its cheaper. I think you are an example of (b) - as you have admitted you take VX when it has a flight that works - and I bet that before Jeff took over you would just have taken United. What you do mirrors what everyone I know in SF who still flies United does, they shop around.

And when - as UA has become - your product is a commodity, with no positive benefits and some serious disseminates associated with it, you have to discount more to try to fill your planes. The result is predictable, and a number of us predicted it - PRASM and yield have stagnated, and the loss of passenger revenue that results has just swamped any extra upsell revenue that UA has pried out of people's hands when added to the savings from the cuts to product and service quality.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:37 am

I did not say it was valuable to you. I said thats what I do. We are different people with different needs.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by cornfedcowboy
IMO the heavy use of CRJ and ERJ aircraft is the number one reason for scoring low on customer satisfaction polls. Virtually every customer that sets foot on these flying sardine cans is dismayed. Doesn't matter if the service is great and the flights are on time. Until this changes, United will be bottom of the barrel.
That is probably a piece of it, but this thread offers more of a reason why UA will never rank high. You have an OP that erroneously believes the pilot is at fault for having to burn off fuel. It may not have been caused by the small plane or ground crew at all. You have multiple others complain that UA doesn't offer proper competition against DL on the same route. But they are failing to recognize and understand the markets and connective flows that show that UA is a strong competitor on a relative basis, and it's DL that doesn't compete well. You have further more complain about how UA has more RJs, failing to understand that their balanced, smaller hub structure will always demand that if UA is to match supply and demand and remain profitable. They don't realize the alternative could be no nonstop flight at all, or that you would have to go out of your way to connect in ATL, DFW, or CLT because that's all the carrier has.

Customer satisfaction scores are inherently biased. They treat every customer as if they have the same expectations. That's simply not true. People are different, and you will have different expectations based on culture, knowledge, brand experience, etc. In the airline industry, it's much easier to satisfy your customer when they didn't expect much in the first place.

Originally Posted by spin88
And when - as UA has become - your product is a commodity, with no positive benefits and some serious disseminates associated with it, you have to discount more to try to fill your planes. The result is predictable, and a number of us predicted it - PRASM and yield have stagnated, and the loss of passenger revenue that results has just swamped any extra upsell revenue that UA has pried out of people's hands when added to the savings from the cuts to product and service quality.
The airline industry essentially is a commodity. UA would be foolish not to operate its business as such. They would be out of business is no time. You simply cannot afford to spend large money greatly differentiating your product when the vast, vast majority of what the customer is paying for is the same across the board--safe transportation from point A to point B. The best separater is price.

BTW, you're smiling when your predictions have been wrong lately?

Casing point: UA used to fly RJ ONLY between ATL-NYC I would say about 6 times daily. Now they switched to mainline A319's, with at least one 738 per day, and the planes are mostly full, just like when they used RJ's. People notice.
The demand was likely already there, and/or UA is experiencing lower yields. RJs are simply not driving away an significant amount of traffic from, say, RJ demand to mainline demand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.