Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Will Never be a World-Class Airline Until They Get Rid of CRJs on Major Routes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Will Never be a World-Class Airline Until They Get Rid of CRJs on Major Routes.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fly18725
It's a black and white issue, isn't it? United either sucks or is the best. There's no possible way the truth is more nuanced as that would not be supportive of productive and insightful conversations.
From an elite member passenger perspective (1K until this year, now MM Gold), I would have a tough time coming up with anything that is an improvement on COdbaUA.

If I have missed something, do let me know.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
From an elite member passenger perspective (1K until this year, now MM Gold), I would have a tough time coming up with anything that is an improvement on COdbaUA.

Some improvements:
* E+ expanded to the pmCO fleet, forcing DL and AA to implement their versions of E+
* Upgrades to the domestic F meals and addition of F meals on more flights

Back to the topic...UA will not be a world class airline until it focuses on taking care of its employees and empowering its employees to take care of its customers, who then "rewards" the airline with loyalty thus taking care of the shareholders. This formula works perfectly for Southwest.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Austin787
Some improvements:
* E+ expanded to the pmCO fleet, forcing DL and AA to implement their versions of E+

Back to the topic...UA will not be a world class airline until it focuses on taking care of its employees and empowering its employees to take care of its customers, who then "rewards" the airline with loyalty thus taking care of the shareholders. This formula works perfectly for Southwest.
I am a pmUA flyer. UA already had E+. It still has it. That is not an improvement.

UA had decent meals. COdbaUA took them away. Giving them back (and they still aren't up to what UA had previously) is not an improvement.

Southwest is a success because its passengers expect nothing and are not disappointed when that is what they receive. All they get is a smile and free checked luggage.

UA, unlike Southwest, is a supposedly a full-service, long-haul, international airline. It just isn't delivering that service. Add to that IRROPS, IRROPS handling, and the cuts to Mileage Plus and Southwest is running circles around UA.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Southwest is a success because its passengers expect nothing and are not disappointed when that is what they receive. All they get is a smile and free checked luggage.
Umm, Southwest has better legroom than United, has wifi, has streaming movies, has live tv, gives you two free bags and doesn't charge change fees.

Add in exceptional customer service, and I would say that is a lot more than offering nothing...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Umm, Southwest has better legroom than United, has wifi, has streaming movies, has live tv, gives you two free bags and doesn't charge change fees.

Add in exceptional customer service, and I would say that is a lot more than offering nothing...
That is true. When fans of the legacies dismiss WN as "offering nothing," it generally means WN doesn't offer first class seats to Tokyo and Paris, which very few flying citizens of the United States care about. WN is no longer the cheap alternative but it's a good product with execution that is head and shoulders above UA across the board.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott

I agree with your points except the one about legroom. Southwest legroom post Evolve isn't better than United. Plus Southwest doesn't have E+ seats.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Some improvements:
* Upgrades to the domestic F meals and addition of F meals on more flights.
DL actually announced EC on int'l flights before Jeff could decide on what to do with E+ on the pmCO fleet.

Short answer is the UA won't become a world class airline with Jeff in charge. He destroyed CO and UA in my opinion. The first step to that level is to get rid of Jeff.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I agree with your points except the one about legroom. Southwest legroom post Evolve isn't better than United. Plus Southwest doesn't have E+ seats.
I guess it is airplane specific. Everything except the 700's list 32-33 inches including evolve. United offers 30" on the airbus, and 31 on the 737's.

Of course on the E+ (and of course F Class etc), but that wasn't the discussion. The other thing with Southwest is that their upcharges are good value. With them not assigning seats, paying the $12 for Early Bird gets you more or less whatever seat you want near the front of the aircraft in most cases.

$12 for something of value, United charges way more and gives less
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:55 am

I guess it is airplane specific. Everything except the 700's list 32-33 inches including evolve. United offers 30" on the airbus, and 31 on the 737's.

Of course on the E+ (and of course F Class etc), but that wasn't the discussion. The other thing with Southwest is that their upcharges are good value. With them not assigning seats, paying the $12 for Early Bird gets you more or less whatever seat you want near the front of the aircraft in most cases.

$12 for something of value, United charges way more and gives less
I assume you are referring to E+ seating when you say "WN charges $12 for something of value, United charges way more and gives less"?

I disagree strongly.

United charges a lot more (agree), but you receive a much greater benefit on UA: An E+ seat with much more legroom! Likely window or aisle unless you are last minute or on a elite heavy / very busy route.

An E+ seat is a far greater benefit than "Early Bird gets you more or less whatever seat you want near the front of the aircraft in most cases." in my opinion.

Now, there are people who say 'I'd prefer an E- aisle over an E+ middle'.

For those people, where legroom is not the priority and aisle seating is, then WN's approach will cost them less to get what they want.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
For those people, where legroom is not the priority and aisle seating is, then WN's approach will cost them less to get what they want.
I have saved a bundle on change fees on my flights this year that E+ is not decider anymore. WN and UA slimline seats are equally bad (I feel UA is particularly worse). UA lining up people on different groups is quite similar to the WN lineup, except in WN you know your position compared to UA style of having 3-4 lines leading up to a single group line.

Anyways, I came here to share my recent experience with UA this week. A simple DEN-YYZ-IAD-DEN trip. DEN-YYZ flight went into 30 minutes delay even though all the flight tracking showed the scheduled aircraft will be on time and so on. Thankfully I got myself on the AC flight instead. Same ERJ but vastly superior quality seats and it was on time. YYZ-IAD was delayed and got rebooked (after calling as no agent in YYZ would help, I guess outsourcing has its limits) onto the YYZ-ORD flight. Most terrible slimline seats of my travel experience. Then ORD-DEN waited for the pilot to show up.

Needless to say that the RJ experience has not changed a single bit. Now that the shackles of MileagePlus has been broken, I know which carrier to book on.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Now that the shackles of MileagePlus has been broken, I know which carrier to book on.
Amen.

I bet you wish you had made this change much sooner than you actually did!
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Agreed. Evolve is tight and miserable. Very similar to the UA slimlines, except no E+.

If the Evolve seat is listed as 32-33 inches, someone needs to check their tape measure. Because that measurement is off by close to 10%.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Amen.

I bet you wish you had made this change much sooner than you actually did!
True. But I just tried after 8 months of not flying any revenue flights on UA. I reckon it is not going to get better. Just stay away from UA
Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT

Don't worry, United is not hiding the "good stuff" when you arrive, you are not missing anything.

Some improvements:

The first part is a pure-CO perspective. on pmUA we had E+ (on nearly all of our flights, no icky ERJs ) and we also got upgrades. We also got semi decent, rather than icky meals. For us - mostly in COMPETITIVE HUBS - it was straight down when the Hou-crew took over....

The second part, I agree with. The "follow procedure, so no, or get written up" CO management approach has just killed the airline.

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
True. But I just tried after 8 months of not flying any revenue flights on UA. I reckon it is not going to get better. Just stay away from UA
I have a revenue UA flight tomorrow, its on an A320, so I will be unhappy. Return is on AA, UA flight was a "slimmed" CRJ-700, so UA will not get my 45 c/mi spending on the return.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
DL actually announced EC on int'l flights before Jeff could decide on what to do with E+ on the pmCO fleet.
I believe DL announced it after Jeff told the world that E+ was profitable from sales and reduced weight alone, even before factoring in loyalty. Shortly therafter, AA copied as well. UA kept that card to themselves for many years, while others thought UA was just fat and wasteful.

Recall that CO management was regarded for being ruthlessly cost focused. Jeff, being from CO making that comment was a very strong signal to airlines. They didn't have to experiment when Jeff told them all how to make more money. They just did it, and quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.