Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Will Never be a World-Class Airline Until They Get Rid of CRJs on Major Routes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Will Never be a World-Class Airline Until They Get Rid of CRJs on Major Routes.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CALMSP
yes, b/c DL has to send everyone to ATL, where UA can offer direct flights from DEN to the destinations beyond ATL. Pretty simple explanation on this one.
That logic makes no sense - reverse it, DL can also offer direct flights from ATL to destinations beyond DEN (and they clearly do).
Old May 27, 2015, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
yes, b/c DL has to send everyone to ATL, where UA can offer direct flights from DEN to the destinations beyond ATL. Pretty simple explanation on this one.
Actually, DL would send much of its connecting traffic from DEN to SLC, not ATL. TPAC would be routed through SEA, and much of the remaining international connecting traffic route through DTW, MSP, or JFK.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That logic makes no sense - reverse it, DL can also offer direct flights from ATL to destinations beyond DEN (and they clearly do).
Exactly!!! Again, I haven't flown UA into ATL, MSP or DTW in years from ORD. I have no reason to even check UA.com..

I go straight to delta.com, I book my flight, usually on a 757, (but that is gone now for my ORD route)....

In checking ua recently, it does seem like they are getting more mainline on ORD-MSP,SLC and ATL....

It's still not enough to go back to UA on route to DL hubs..
Old May 27, 2015, 1:21 pm
Suspended

My issue with UA is it seems like a lot of employees still think Continental is still around. No thanks, i'll fly the new AA, DL, B6, WN, AS etc where those employees know that there is only one airline. I kind of blame UA management for this though for creating a "merger of equals" where they preserved multiple aspects of both PMUA and PMCO instead of creating a unified brand employees from both airlines can get behind.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Exactly!!! Again, I haven't flown UA into ATL, MSP or DTW in years from ORD. I have no reason to even check UA.com..

I go straight to delta.com, I book my flight, usually on a 757, (but that is gone now for my ORD route)....

In checking ua recently, it does seem like they are getting more mainline on ORD-MSP,SLC and ATL....

It's still not enough to go back to UA on route to DL hubs..
May I suggest? NEVER start your search on Delta.com! Or United.com. Or AA.com.

Unless, of course, you are completely beholden to a single airline.

Always start with google flights, hipmunk, kayak, or whatever tool you prefer. Even if you end up clicking through to DL.com to buy, at least you'll see other options / routing / pricing before you buy.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by spin88
Well DL can offer direct flights to the destinations beyond DEN as well. Your explanation (on this route) makes no sense.

While there are some head to head comparisons (IAH-ATL, EWR-ATL) with a similar level of market penetration, this one is caused by three factors. First, United has chased away much of the O/D market share at DEN to OALs (it currently only has a 40% market share, SWA is 25%), as a result they just have fewer passengers who fly them ex-DEN than DL has ex-ATL. Second, the "connecting traffic" that is pulled through the hub at ATL is much greater than what UAL can pull through DEN, hence more passengers on the connecting ATL-DEN and DEN-ATL flights on DAL. Third, more of the regional traffic on UAL gets pulled into other hubs (ORD, IAH) on UAL than into competing hubs of DLs (MSP, SLC).

Part of this is natural (as to DEN) and part of it is self inflicted, with the loss of passengers then causing downgrades to RJ, which chases away more passengers. At some point it comes unsustainable (see CLE) as there is too little high yield traffic on the RJs as it has booked away.
its actually quite simple. DL is pulling all pax for everything in the SE plus local. the connecting opportunities out of ATL far exceed anything DEN has to offer.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Agreed, I know a few very low hour folks flying 777's at United. Don't assume because they are in the 777 that they have loads of experience. Besides, where did the loads of experience help the folks on Air France 447. It's a mixed bag
You are confusing someone in the Right or First Officer seat with the Captain.

You will find no low hour 777 Captains that is for sure! That is who I trust my life to and believe me the Captain of my flight from Den probably had 20% of the hours that the average 777 Captain has.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by kapkap46
You are confusing someone in the Right or First Officer seat with the Captain.

You will find no low hour 777 Captains that is for sure! That is who I trust my life to and believe me the Captain of my flight from Den probably had 20% of the hours that the average 777 Captain has.
I wasn't confusing it at all. First Officer flies plenty of the flights too. Captains go to bathrooms, captains go on breaks etc etc
Old May 27, 2015, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
the connecting opportunities out of ATL far exceed anything DEN has to offer.
And that's because UA has not developed DEN to its potential.

ATL is a great example of fabricated through traffic. There is a lot more service at ATL than the city justifies from an O/D basis.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by channa
And that's because UA has not developed DEN to its potential.

ATL is a great example of fabricated through traffic. There is a lot more service at ATL than the city justifies from an O/D basis.
And the corollary is that DL can pull traffic from DEN to ATL because UA has a huge gaping hole in its network in that part of the country.

There are good reasons that DL can (and does) compete into UA hubs, while UA essentially cedes the DL hubs. UA has a very difficult time competing straight up.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder how many UA shareholders are UA customers too
Old May 27, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
I wonder how many UA shareholders are UA customers too
Very few. UA is mostly institutionally held (currently 93.36%).
Old May 27, 2015, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
Very few. UA is mostly institutionally held (currently 93.36%).
I was being a little facetious. If shareholders actually flew the airline they would never put up with things. But because it is institutionally owned they don't care, as long as the profits are there in shareholder value.
Old May 27, 2015, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I think my earlier point is still valid, which is that ATL is a GIANT hub (almost 1,000 flights daily). DEN is maybe 1/3 of that. Why would there be any expectation that DEN-ATL on UA would be anywhere close to the same capacity that DL offers, given how much larger ATL is of a hub for DL, relative to DEN for UA.

It's hard to make an apples to apples comparison. If I look at DL flights to MSP-IAH (basically, from one of Delta's smaller hubs to one of UA's largest), they fly 6x RJs there (CRJ-900s). So on that basis, one could say that maybe UA could throw on a couple more flights to ATL, but given relative size, I find it hard to argue that UA should put more than 1 or 2 more flights on the route (granted, this is not really an economic analysis of the situation, but just proportional sizing given ATL is still nearly 2x the size of UA"s IAH hub).
Old May 27, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
IMO the heavy use of CRJ and ERJ aircraft is the number one reason for scoring low on customer satisfaction polls. Virtually every customer that sets foot on these flying sardine cans is dismayed. Doesn't matter if the service is great and the flights are on time. Until this changes, United will be bottom of the barrel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.