Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Will Never be a World-Class Airline Until They Get Rid of CRJs on Major Routes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Will Never be a World-Class Airline Until They Get Rid of CRJs on Major Routes.

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Friends don't let friends fly UA into a DL hub. Makes 0 sense to fly UA on that route.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
The business is there to serve its shareholders so it needs to be a profitable one - and that's, in the long run, good for customers too. I cannot for the life of me understand why customers care if it wants to be "world class". Pan Am wanted to be world class but didn't care about profitability and we all know what happened. "World class" is a meaningless concept. We might want UA to offer more customer goodies for less money, but that doesn't make it "World Class".
This concept that a company should only care about its shareholders and not the customers or staff is where many US companies have taken a wrong turn.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:01 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
This concept that a company should only care about its shareholders and not the customers or staff is where many US companies have taken a wrong turn.
Its resulting in a wrong turn for the UA shareholders as well. UA has not only not made the profits it should have made due to the merger, it went backwards. DL has made about 4x the profit that UA has since Jeff came in with his savvy plan on 3/12. But as others have noted, the real damage is still coming. More people are giving up on UA, and competition is heating up. And if/when the economy takes a fall, UA will bleed red.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by minnyfly
UA isn't losing half their passengers because of an RJ.
They're not losing half their passengers, but they're losing passengers because of RJs. Jeff Himself acknowledged there's a book-away factor with RJs.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by channa
They're not losing half their passengers, but they're losing passengers because of RJs. Jeff Himself acknowledged there's a book-away factor with RJs.
Clearly demonstrated by their current focus on eliminating (small) RJ's from their fleet... I agree, United agrees, channa agrees (kumbaya): Get rid of the small RJ's, increase mainline!

*All this said as I am booking a family trip SFO-ABQ and realizing that the direct RJ really is the better option. At least the outbound 700 has F! Return is on a 200... Still, not worth flying through DEN or LAX due to our schedule.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:27 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Originally Posted by kapkap46
Really UA. If you can't compete on that route get out of it completely.

Those mini jets were designed for flights to 2nd level airports. Not between 2 of the busiest airports in the world.
By that philosophy, AA should be getting out of their all-RJ route between DEN and LAX. And DL should get out of flying between SEA-SFO on, you guessed it, all RJs.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
*All this said as I am booking a family trip SFO-ABQ and realizing that the direct RJ really is the better option.
I can see this. Many people don't like their family.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by JC5280
By that philosophy, AA should be getting out of their all-RJ route between DEN and LAX. And DL should get out of flying between SEA-SFO on, you guessed it, all RJs.
You cannot compare a Delta RJ and a United RJ. The majority of the DL RJ's have first class, wifi, proper meals and nice employees. In addition to that, they arrive on-time a lot more often than their United counterparts. DL are also a lot more respectful of the segment lengths they are used on. Out of Newark, pretty much everything is on the EMB145 with no wifi, no first class, no meals and segments of 3hr+
Old May 27, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Who ever suggested UA wants to be a world class airline? It wants to be a profitable one.
DING DING! This is so correct on so many levels.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I think this would be better titled,

"UA Will Never be a World-Class Airline Until They Get Rid of JSMIs in the Executive Offices"
Old May 27, 2015, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
Company management in a public corporation has a fiduciary responsibility to act in the best interest of shareholders. Ask the SEC.

Now, many understand that taking care of customers and staff is an excellent way of taking care of the shareholders. I think most corporations, including UA, understand that.

But there are limits.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:29 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Company management in a public corporation has a fiduciary responsibility to act in the best interest of shareholders. Ask the SEC.

Now, many understand that taking care of customers and staff is an excellent way of taking care of the shareholders. I think most corporations, including UA, understand that.
Totally agree and well put.... although I'm not sure UA gets it.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: *
This is what happens when you have mini-jets piloted by low time pilots on major routes .
.... stop sticking us with these mini jets and pilots who have a fraction of the experience of a Captain of even a B737.
This is a somewhat derisory remark. Pilots regardless of the aircraft they operate are professionals doing a highly professional and important job. To infer one's competence, ability or achievement is limited because they fly a smaller plane is a bit extreme.

Last edited by ani90; May 27, 2015 at 3:43 am
Old May 27, 2015, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
This is a somewhat derisory remark. Pilots regardless of the aircraft they operate are professionals doing a highly professional and important job. To infer one's competence, ability or achievement is limited because they fly a smaller plane is a bit extreme.
I was specifically referring to this pilot who wasted time loading fuel and then sat for 15 minutes burning off fuel he had loaded.

In addition plane was oversold and their are standards for Weight and Balance when plane is full. This was not surprise where 40 extra passengers showed up .

All and all a questionable performance by ground staff and cockpit crew.

And if you think the pilot in a RJ , CJ etc in any way compares with the experience of a Captain in an A32o or B737 etc , you know nothing about pilots or the airline hiring practices!
Old May 27, 2015, 5:26 am

Programs: *
I was specifically referring to this pilot who wasted time loading fuel and then sat for 15 minutes burning off fuel he had loaded.

And if you think the pilot in a RJ , CJ etc in any way compares with the experience of a Captain in an A32o or B737 etc , you know nothing about pilots or the airline hiring practices!
I am not a pilot but as others point out decisions on refuelling a plane and on amount of people and cargo put on the plane are not made primarily or exclusively by the pilot.

I do not know whether the experience of a pilot on one small plane mirrors another (a 737 is also a small plane) - is there a hierarchy where the most junior and inexperienced fly the smallest planes and as you get bigger your planes do to? Well if age has anything to do with anything, the pilot who flew me on a RJ this morning (on US Air I must add - US is not only airline that uses RJ) was at least in his 50s and didn't look inexperienced (but who knows he might have taken on flying late in life); in contrast I have seen pilots who look as young as mid 20s flying 757s. BTW if UA had no RJS and same happened on an A320 then would we not then be calling them inexperienced or whatever compared to 787 pilots? Where does the comparison end?

That said you are correct that I know nothing about pilot hiring practices, but I do hope the pilots are similarly professional whether flying an RJ or a 747.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.