Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Will Never be a World-Class Airline Until They Get Rid of CRJs on Major Routes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Will Never be a World-Class Airline Until They Get Rid of CRJs on Major Routes.

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Company management in a public corporation has a fiduciary responsibility to act in the best interest of shareholders. Ask the SEC.

Now, many understand that taking care of customers and staff is an excellent way of taking care of the shareholders. I think most corporations, including UA, understand that.

But there are limits.
Companies have a responsibility to act in the best interests of stakeholders. Not all stakeholders are shareholders, but all shareholders are stakeholders.
Customers, employees, vendors, etc are all stakeholders as well as the shareholders.
Companies who find the right balance of balancing the interests of all stakeholders do well.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by sbm12
DL feeds far more onward connections over ATL from DEN than UA does from ATL over DEN. UA picks up its O/D customers and a few others in the Mountain region. DL is flowing the whole southeast or Europe connections on those flights. Different demand-->Different capacity.
So you are saying that there are (roughly) three times as many people going from Denver to somewhere in the southeast as there are from Atlanta to somewhere in the west? And DL flies three times the capacity of UA because passengers prefer Delta destinations to UA destinations? If that's true, then it seems like UA chose the wrong hub city(ies). Help me understand this.

Or looking at SFO-ATL, UA flies two 737s while DL flies seven planes (the 737 is the smallest and there are several 767s). So more people are connecting from SFO via ATL to Europe and the southeast than are connecting from ATL to the west and to Asia? Again, I don't really understand how the issue is primarily related to connecting traffic.

Or ten 717s (DL) vs. six 737s (UA) from EWR to ATL. OK, the DL planes are slightly smaller but still DL has more capacity to the primary transatlantic hub for each airline.

Last edited by eefor jfp; May 27, 2015 at 7:24 am Reason: added second & third paragraph.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

That said you are correct that I know nothing about pilot hiring practices, but I do hope the pilots are similarly professional whether flying an RJ or a 747.
It's about the difference between mainline and non-mainline. Typically, you're more likely to find young pilots starting out a smaller, regional airline which would then do business as United Express or American Eagle and what have you. The salaries there aren't anywhere near as good as those of a mainline pilot, so there's an incentive to "graduate" to a mainline position. There's a much more detailed breakdown here.

With that in mind, it's not unreasonable to assume that on average, a pilot flying a UAX RJ does not have the same amount of experience and isn't being paid the same as a pilot flying mainline on a 737, let alone a widebody.

As the Colgan Air disaster showed, there was a standards gap between mainline and regional pilots in terms of training, regulation and so forth. In the wake of that crash, measures have been taken to address those issues, and one would hope that they've been sufficient to at least address the safety aspect of this discussion.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
...someone needs to tell 'em that one who never strives will never achieve. And that next economic downturn is coming...
Originally Posted by spin88
...the real damage is still coming. More people are giving up on UA, and competition is heating up. And if/when the economy takes a fall, UA will bleed red.
If UA racks up this kind of shabby underperformance in an era of strong business travel fueled by high corporate profits, low interest rates, low oil prices, and high overall demand... imagine how they'll cope in the next, inevitable recession. They're living a rosy scenario, and this is as good as they can do. Team Smisek ought to be terrified by what lies ahead.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ani90
I am not a pilot but as others point out decisions on refuelling a plane and on amount of people and cargo put on the plane are not made primarily or exclusively by the pilot.
Pilots and dispatchers make the decisions on fuel loading, and at all airlines in the USA, pilots have the final call on fuel. If the OP's flight took on too much fuel, that was an error by the captain. That said, their error was probably not loading too much fuel, but over-estimating the taxi-time. A shorter-than-expected wait for takeoff can result in too much fuel onboard. For most airplanes, the maximum taxi weight is several hundred pounds over the maximum takeoff weight, to account for the fuel burned sitting on the taxiways waiting to takeoff.

I do not know whether the experience of a pilot on one small plane mirrors another (a 737 is also a small plane) - is there a hierarchy where the most junior and inexperienced fly the smallest planes and as you get bigger your planes do to? Well if age has anything to do with anything, the pilot who flew me on a RJ this morning (on US Air I must add - US is not only airline that uses RJ) was at least in his 50s and didn't look inexperienced (but who knows he might have taken on flying late in life); in contrast I have seen pilots who look as young as mid 20s flying 757s. BTW if UA had no RJS and same happened on an A320 then would we not then be calling them inexperienced or whatever compared to 787 pilots? Where does the comparison end?
Typically, less experienced pilots fly small planes and more experienced pilots fly larger planes. You won't find any 30-year old 777 captains at AA, DL or UA. By time they work their way up to those planes, they're old and usually very experienced, with many thousands of hours of flying.

Old-looking pilots don't always equal very "experienced" pilots. The captain of the Colgan crash was 47 and was hired by Colgan just 3.5 years before that tragedy. Like most RJ/turboprop pilots, he had relatively few hours of flying experience. So your RJ pilot who looked to be in their 50s may have had lots of experience but might not be so experienced.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Typically, less experienced pilots fly small planes and more experienced pilots fly larger planes. You won't find any 30-year old 777 captains at AA, DL or UA. By time they work their way up to those planes, they're old and usually very experienced, with many thousands of hours of flying.
This is certainly true of captains, but with the current upheaval in the ranks of pilots at the majors (lot of retirements, expansion, merger-related movements, etc.), airlines like UA are putting new-hires into the right seat of 757s and 767s. That being said, 747/777/787 right seats are considered plum because of the desirability of scheduling/trips and nature of the flying (or lack thereof...). It all depends on where the vacancies are at the various basis when classes graduate.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by EWR764
This is certainly true of captains, but with the current upheaval in the ranks of pilots at the majors (lot of retirements, expansion, merger-related movements, etc.), airlines like UA are putting new-hires into the right seat of 757s and 767s. That being said, 747/777/787 right seats are considered plum because of the desirability of scheduling/trips and nature of the flying (or lack thereof...). It all depends on where the vacancies are at the various basis when classes graduate.
Agreed, I know a few very low hour folks flying 777's at United. Don't assume because they are in the 777 that they have loads of experience. Besides, where did the loads of experience help the folks on Air France 447. It's a mixed bag
Old May 27, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL DM, UA 1K, MR PP
Originally Posted by minnyfly

DL doesn't universally offer better reliability or service than UA. It's a fantasy if anyone thinks that. From my experiences, I have a much better chance of getting good service on a UA flight than a DL flight.

UA competes very strongly with DL when you recognize and understand markets. It's simply wrong to say they avoid it.
Your experience must be unique, I was Gold with UA flying 3 times a month out of CLE 2 years ago. I was impressed by the service maybe 3-4 times a year. Now I am PM on Delta flying every week out of CLE. I am impressed by the service 2-3 times a month, and almost never disappointed.

It is a night and day difference in service and culture at Delta, don't take my advice, look at most customer satisfaction surveys...
Old May 27, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
Company management in a public corporation has a fiduciary responsibility to act in the best interest of shareholders. Ask the SEC.

Now, many understand that taking care of customers and staff is an excellent way of taking care of the shareholders. I think most corporations, including UA, understand that.

But there are limits.
Ha, ha, ha, United is the case study on how managing for the market, and sticking it to your customers back fires, and hurts shareholders.

The year before Jeff announced his "savvy" plan, and all of his "changes you will like" UAL made $1.3B (ex specials), and $840M with them. Delta made $1.2B (ex specials)

Jeff promised any extra $1.2B in "synergies" each year ($800M extra revenue, $400M in savings), which should have gone to the bottom line.

Well from 2012-2014 with his plan in place, United made $3.659B ex specials, but if you include the massive specials for integration, etc back in United has only actually made $1148B. Given they were supposed to (and I expect they did, they were just swamped by other losses) gain $1.2B in profit each year its a stunning failure.

Delta? Well under different management, with a goal of having leading product and CS, it made $8.8B ex specials (the figures including specials also include taxes, which are not actually paid, so are less relevant.)

Given the bump that Jeff got from consolidation of two airlines w/o overlap (in extra revenue of $800M/year) and ability to save on joint functions (of $400M/year), its hard to think of a better example to show that slavishly focus on wall street metrics like Smisik has ("there are limits") do better for their shareholders.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
it's interesting that Delta has eight mainline flights a day (at least on the day I checked) vs. three on UA (one mainline and two RJs on the day I checked). That's a huge difference in capacity.
yes, b/c DL has to send everyone to ATL, where UA can offer direct flights from DEN to the destinations beyond ATL. Pretty simple explanation on this one.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
This is a somewhat derisory remark. Pilots regardless of the aircraft they operate are professionals doing a highly professional and important job. To infer one's competence, ability or achievement is limited because they fly a smaller plane is a bit extreme.
not to mention, there are those that are even more tenured pilots flying an RJ than a mainline a/c.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by CALMSP
yes, b/c DL has to send everyone to ATL, where UA can offer direct flights from DEN to the destinations beyond ATL. Pretty simple explanation on this one.
Huh? This makes no sense to me because it doesn't work when flipped around.

From ATL, UA has to send everyone to DEN to destinations beyond DEN, while DL has nonstops to many more places, so UA should have more feed to DEN than DL has.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by channa
Huh? This makes no sense to me because it doesn't work when flipped around.

From ATL, UA has to send everyone to DEN to destinations beyond DEN, while DL has nonstops to many more places, so UA should have more feed to DEN than DL has.
I feel like the relevant comparison is to compare DL's service from ATL (or maybe one of its smaller regional interior hubs, like MSP) to IAH or ORD. DEN is nowhere close to ATL in terms of size (for UA), and the only folks who would route to DEN from ATL are some TPAC travelers or people connecting to somewhere in the west but don't need to go to SFO or LAX.

ETA: doing a little bit of research shows ATL has nearly 1,000 daily flights for DL. UA doesn't even break 600 at ORD or IAH. Really hard to compare when the magnitude between largest hubs is that stark.

Last edited by PsiFighter37; May 27, 2015 at 12:34 pm
Old May 27, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by CALMSP
Well DL can offer direct flights to the destinations beyond DEN as well. Your explanation (on this route) makes no sense.

While there are some head to head comparisons (IAH-ATL, EWR-ATL) with a similar level of market penetration, this one is caused by three factors. First, United has chased away much of the O/D market share at DEN to OALs (it currently only has a 40% market share, SWA is 25%), as a result they just have fewer passengers who fly them ex-DEN than DL has ex-ATL. Second, the "connecting traffic" that is pulled through the hub at ATL is much greater than what UAL can pull through DEN, hence more passengers on the connecting ATL-DEN and DEN-ATL flights on DAL. Third, more of the regional traffic on UAL gets pulled into other hubs (ORD, IAH) on UAL than into competing hubs of DLs (MSP, SLC).

Part of this is natural (as to DEN) and part of it is self inflicted, with the loss of passengers then causing downgrades to RJ, which chases away more passengers. At some point it comes unsustainable (see CLE) as there is too little high yield traffic on the RJs as it has booked away.
Old May 27, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by channa

But many of those people on DL from ATL to DEN would not have started their journey in ATL. Essentially DL is operating flights between DEN and X destination, with ATL as stopover, so the comparison is not between 8 DL flights Vs three UA but between DEN and a chosen city pair (which UA may or may not fly directly to). DEN is not that a big hub (for example to European or African Flights) as ATL is so the UA feed of DEN has to be smaller I don't think this is a helpful comparison except for those starting and ending the journey in ATL and DEN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.