FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Will Never be a World-Class Airline Until They Get Rid of CRJs on Major Routes.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:12 pm
LASUA1K

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I think my earlier point is still valid, which is that ATL is a GIANT hub (almost 1,000 flights daily). DEN is maybe 1/3 of that. Why would there be any expectation that DEN-ATL on UA would be anywhere close to the same capacity that DL offers, given how much larger ATL is of a hub for DL, relative to DEN for UA.

It's hard to make an apples to apples comparison. If I look at DL flights to MSP-IAH (basically, from one of Delta's smaller hubs to one of UA's largest), they fly 6x RJs there (CRJ-900s). So on that basis, one could say that maybe UA could throw on a couple more flights to ATL, but given relative size, I find it hard to argue that UA should put more than 1 or 2 more flights on the route (granted, this is not really an economic analysis of the situation, but just proportional sizing given ATL is still nearly 2x the size of UA"s IAH hub).
What about ORD-ATL? ORD-DTW? ORD is bigger than DTW but its still mostly all regional. ORD and ATL, yes ORD isn't the same size as ATL but it's close. How could UA justify flying mostly rj's when DL was flying 757's, MD90's and 717's. Now 739's are on the route.