Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Initial announcement thread - 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance
Update 2019 -- includes all partner flights on 016 ticket
for non-016 ticket , see Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.
Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (PQD)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)

Multipliers based on Premier status: & (breakeven CPM)
  • x5 General Members -- (20 cpm)
  • x7 Silver -- (17.86 cpm)
  • x8 Gold -- (18.75 cpm)
  • x9 Plat -- (19.44 cpm)
  • x11 1K/GS -- (18.18 cpm)

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $100 ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

Note that for itineraries which span the March 1 changeover date, the existing scheme will apply to any segment departing prior to March 1 , the new scheme will apply to the segments departing March 1 or after.

Appears no extra mileage for using a Chase MP card than the standard card mileage earning

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Sitewww.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html

Relevant UA Insider posts:
Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.
Answered Questions:
Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.

Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.

Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.

Unanswered Questions:
Originally Posted by a9504477
...Would this apply also to UA flights not on 016 stock? And if not, what would be the best way of purchasing such?
Unknown, but the FAQ indicates that all UA and UAx flights issued by ANY airline would be subjected to the new earning rates. There are exceptions (group tickets, bulk tickets, etc) like "Specialty Tickets" as mentioned below.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Do elite bonuses still apply to those [specialty] tickets?
It is mentioned in the FAQ: If applicable, Premier bonus award miles will be based on a member’s Premier status and the lower of the distance flown or miles awarded, per the chart above. Basically the bonus miles will be awarded but based on the lower number (i.e. distance flown for higher fares or the % based on fare). A 1K passenger purchasing F-fare from EWR-SFO would get only a 2565 mile bonus while a N-fare would get (50% of 2565) 1283 mile bonus. Still unclear what are the percentage bonus of each premier level but assume that it is the same (100% GS/1K, 75% Plat, 50% Gold, 25% Silver).

Specialty Tickets:
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.

Eligible fare classes
Flight operated by United and United Express
150% - J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
100% - Y, B, M
75% - E, U, H, Q, V, W
50% - S, T, L, K, G, N
Print Wikipost

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:09 am

Programs: UA MP 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I got one yesterday and cannot see what you are referring to. Was this the ticket that gets sent to your email address or on the site or both or where?
On the site, open the reservation, scroll down to "Travelers", this is what is shown:

MileagePlus® totals:
9,163 Award Miles
7,332 PQM | 2 PQS | $833 PQD
View MileagePlus earning information

On the receipt, this is the breakdown:

Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 5,200 CNY
China Airport Fee: 90
September 11th Security Fee: 36
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 112
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 32
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 44
U.S. Customs User Fee: 35
International Surcharge: 1,115
Per Person Total: 6,664 CNY
eTicket Total: 6,664 CNY

The airfare you paid on this itinerary totals: 5,200 CNY
The taxes, fees, and surcharges paid total: 1,464 CNY

The exchange rate is USD1.00=CNY6.27 so the total ticket price 6,664CNY = 1,062USD. I understand that the various taxes and fees of 349CNY are not counted towards PQD, but my previous assumption was that the International Surcharge of 1,115CNY is included in the PQD calculation (and if I look back at my last year's tix, I think it was). But the information now showing on my reservation is clearly for base fare only. Is this right?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by eegulleye
On the site, open the reservation, scroll down to "Travelers"...............snip.....
Ok, got it, thanks. I actually end up with 1584 more miles than I would normally get. I won't crow about it as some people are doing. It is just a fact.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:06 am

Programs: UA 1K MM,Marriott platinum,ihg spire
MP earnings

I have question regarding RDM calculation on one of my upcoming trips.
Itinerary was purchased on November 30, 2014.
All flights are in W class , purchased on the website and are on 016 stock.

1st question : on the reservation details , it says 'the itinerary includes one or more flights that are ineligible to earn mileage or premier qualifying credit'.
Seems strange since it are all UA metal flights on 016 stock

2nd question : it looks like the international surcharge is not taken into account for the RDM calculation.
On the earning details, it starts from 1214 USD , which is the 975 euro ticket price converted to USD at the exchange rate EURO -USD of november 30 (1 USD = 0,80342 EUR)
So, the 457 euro international surcharge was not taken into account.
Is that correct ?
taken the international surcharge into account at the rate of 11/30 , it should be 1780 USD , times 11 --> 19611 RDM instead of 13354.

3rd question : what exchange rate applies ? the one at the time the ticket was purchased , or the one at the time the flight will be taken ?

Does anybody exactly knows how this needs to be calculated, or should I wait till after the flights (beginning of may) are taken ?

Thanks.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
The new 'feature' of the web site that shows earning rates for upcoming tickets is wrng. The 'International Surcharge' amounts will be included in the earnings calculation.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:38 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I would like to hear someone try to justify that two travelers should be rewarded the exact same # of RDM's when one spent 0.3X$$ on a K class fare while the other paid X$$ for a M class fare on the same flight.
The miles earned were based on the miles flown. I'd have thought you would have known that.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Now, I feel that the ship has been righted.... though I am a bit biased because my business travels will compensate those lost miles and more with all the last minute travel patterns. Even if everything changed and my business travel slowed or stopped, I will still believe that the changes are for the best, and besides, if I were to run this business, these are the decisions I would have made (though I would try to not so blatantly copy DL's changes).
Lets see if you feel the ship is righted when they start rewarding the payer not the flyer, as soon as they develop the IT capability to do so, or when the govt starts taxing your work-earned points, since they are now directly tied to revenue

Now that would be the righting of the ship, if we are going to reward "spend" after all.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ehplam
...Wait until the Apple of airlines emerges.
For those who may not recall, Apple's computers were proprietary and much more expensive than PCs. That was not cost-effective and stifled innovation on the Mac side, and the PC/Windows world took over. If not for the religious devotion of Apple devotees, I think the same thing would be happening today in the Smartphone/Tablet world. There's been a spirited discussion of this phenomenon over in Omni for over five years.

Is that what you want in an airline?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: UA-1K
Thumbs down New PQD/RDM calculation in view reservation is not correct

Reservation for PHL-SFO/SFO-PHL in April.
Receipt shows Airfare as 405.58.
View reservation/Travelers/MileagePlus totals shows PQD as 388

One more confusing part of this new MileagePlusPuzzle.

Receipt:
Fare Breakdown
Airfare: 405.58 USD
U.S. Federal Transportation Tax: 30.42
U.S. Flight Segment Tax: 8.00
September 11th Security Fee: 11.20
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 9.00
Per Person Total: 464.20 USD

View Reservation:
4,268 Award Miles
5,042 PQM | 2 PQS | $388 PQD
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I just got more miles from LAS-DEN then IAD-FRA.
Ugh
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Yeah. Unassailable. Until people [me] tire of United's crap and walk. Along with their ~$45,000 a year in spend [me].

Looking at the PRASM numbers, I am not the only one.
I'm surprised that so many of you agree with this mantra: United rewards only the people who spend the most right now. It's evident that not a lot of you are familiar with the service industry world where brand loyalty is important. In the service business, it's important that companies appeal to customers that *are*, *have been*, and *will be* valuable customers. Many reasons for this. For those of you not familiar, just google "brand consideration" to see what I'm referring to.

I have been a MP member since 1986. My father signed me up when I was a teen. I signed up my children. You can't pay enough for that kind of loyalty. Some of you inferred that I am resting on my MM status laurels. Maybe - I only fly about 50k miles/year now. But isn't that worth something? What if I switch all my business and that of my wife and kids to another airline? Is the short sightedness of chiseling a loyal customer worth the potential loss of the customers that I can influence? And the customer that I will become again (I'm at a price-conscious start-up now)?

I just booked a r/t flight from SF to HK on UA before I realized the ramifications of the new mileage program changes. I'm getting a measly
6,776 Award Miles for that trip. Next flight will be on an airline that will reward me for the "here and now".

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 11, 2015 at 2:01 pm Reason: unneeded remark removed
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:55 am

Programs: United Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
For international fliers, it is disconcerting to see that the 'international surcharge' is not counted towards the PQD.

My Newark to Manila ticket is $1,196 fare plus $446 taxes (of which $326 is the international surcharge). The PQD calculated is $1,198.

United says the PQD should the fare plus any carrier-imposed surcharges. How does one definite 'international surcharge?' In the past, a carrier would argued the surcharge was to cover higher fuel costs or foreign expenses. Has anyone tried to reach out to United about this?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Next flight will be on an airline that will reward me for the "here and now".
Not sure which airline that will be as you'd have to be putting your miles into a new program. All STAR carriers are now giving 25% and 50% for the lowest discounted economy fares, so pretty close to what you'd get with UA.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by JamesWC_NJ
For international fliers, it is disconcerting to see that the 'international surcharge' is not counted towards the PQD.
I've gotten YQ in the PQD for all of my intl trips last year and this year.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I have been a MP member since 1986. My father signed me up when I was a teen. I signed up my children. You can't pay enough for that kind of loyalty. Some of you inferred that I am resting on my MM status laurels. Maybe - I only fly about 50k miles/year now. But isn't that worth something? What if I switch all my business and that of my wife and kids to another airline?
Sadly, there isn't another airline unless you mean AA.

There are only 3 US based airlines flying to HKG now. DL started this and UA followed. I'm not sure when AA will follow.

DOT allowed US airline consolidation which reduced competition. Never good to consumers.

Foreign airlines FFP may be even worse if you buy deeply discounted tickets.

So, you have no where to go.....
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: United Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by eng3
I've gotten YQ in the PQD for all of my intl trips last year and this year.
Weird...
I just checked my past trip Newark to/back Manila.
I paid $961.80. Fare was $405.00 plus $556.80 in taxes/fees.
The PQD for that trip came out to $853.00.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.