Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Initial announcement thread - 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance
Update 2019 -- includes all partner flights on 016 ticket
for non-016 ticket , see Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.
Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (PQD)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)

Multipliers based on Premier status: & (breakeven CPM)
  • x5 General Members -- (20 cpm)
  • x7 Silver -- (17.86 cpm)
  • x8 Gold -- (18.75 cpm)
  • x9 Plat -- (19.44 cpm)
  • x11 1K/GS -- (18.18 cpm)

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $100 ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

Note that for itineraries which span the March 1 changeover date, the existing scheme will apply to any segment departing prior to March 1 , the new scheme will apply to the segments departing March 1 or after.

Appears no extra mileage for using a Chase MP card than the standard card mileage earning

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Sitewww.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html

Relevant UA Insider posts:
Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.
Answered Questions:
Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.

Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.

Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.

Unanswered Questions:
Originally Posted by a9504477
...Would this apply also to UA flights not on 016 stock? And if not, what would be the best way of purchasing such?
Unknown, but the FAQ indicates that all UA and UAx flights issued by ANY airline would be subjected to the new earning rates. There are exceptions (group tickets, bulk tickets, etc) like "Specialty Tickets" as mentioned below.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Do elite bonuses still apply to those [specialty] tickets?
It is mentioned in the FAQ: If applicable, Premier bonus award miles will be based on a member’s Premier status and the lower of the distance flown or miles awarded, per the chart above. Basically the bonus miles will be awarded but based on the lower number (i.e. distance flown for higher fares or the % based on fare). A 1K passenger purchasing F-fare from EWR-SFO would get only a 2565 mile bonus while a N-fare would get (50% of 2565) 1283 mile bonus. Still unclear what are the percentage bonus of each premier level but assume that it is the same (100% GS/1K, 75% Plat, 50% Gold, 25% Silver).

Specialty Tickets:
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.

Eligible fare classes
Flight operated by United and United Express
150% - J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
100% - Y, B, M
75% - E, U, H, Q, V, W
50% - S, T, L, K, G, N
Print Wikipost

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: EY Gold, GF Gold, IHG Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa
That would be you. Giving you 12k miles for less than $100 is a major loss for the airline. The math simply shows it to be unsustainable. So now they give you less than 1k miles and the benefits are more in line with the costs.

That is the intent of this change. Quit rewarding low cost flyers at the same rate that they reward high value flyers.

Now, with your more detailed explanation the calculation might be different. You should be able to go to your MP account and see a breakdown by segment flown. At least you could do that prior to March 1.

Check that out and report those numbers back, if you would.
Here we are:
Note that the 3/4/ EWR-YHZ was put in Y as I was put on different flight at the gate (mistake form gate agent)

3/4/2015 United 896-K class Singapore-Hong Kong...................110...........66........... 76...........1,603...........1...........$22
3/4/2015 UA Express 4373-Y class New York/Newark-Halifax 1,570...........942...........2,512...........921. ..........1.5...........$314
3/4/2015 United 180-K class Hong Kong-New York/Newark 465...........279...........744...........8,060... ........1...........$93
2/18/2015 United 179-K class New York/Newark-Hong Kong 8,060...........4,030...........12,090...........8 ,060...........1...........$184
2/16/2015 UA Express 4597-L class Halifax- Newark 614...........307...........921...........614..... ......1...........$164
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zrs70
Perhaps I missed the memo with the new scheme…

According to the matrix, we aren't 630 base miles for Seattle-LAX. Mind you, there was a slew of other bonus and pqms.

But when I care most now are the miles that count toward million miler status.

Any insight as to where this calculation is listed?
The base miles (flight miles on the mobile app) are now calculated as 5X the base fare paid. The bonus miles are the additional miles added to get a total of 7X, 8X, 9X, or 11X the base fare, depending on your status.

The calculation of PQM and lifetime miles should not change.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by rascally14
Here we are:
Note that the 3/4/ EWR-YHZ was put in Y as I was put on different flight at the gate (mistake form gate agent)

3/4/2015 United 896-K class Singapore-Hong Kong...................110...........66........... 76...........1,603...........1...........$22
3/4/2015 UA Express 4373-Y class New York/Newark-Halifax 1,570...........942...........2,512...........921. ..........1.5...........$314
3/4/2015 United 180-K class Hong Kong-New York/Newark 465...........279...........744...........8,060... ........1...........$93
2/18/2015 United 179-K class New York/Newark-Hong Kong 8,060...........4,030...........12,090...........8 ,060...........1...........$184
2/16/2015 UA Express 4597-L class Halifax- Newark 614...........307...........921...........614..... ......1...........$164
These numbers make sense, given the new system. I believe the 76 on the first line should be 176 though. Thank you for the detailed report!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: UA MP 1K 1MM
I noticed today when I cut a ticket there is a new line under "traveler information" showing the award miles, PQM, PQS, PDQ, and a sub-menu showing the detailed calculations. However the calcs for my itinerary do not include the international surcharge which at almost $175 is about 15% of the total ticket price. I think it was previously stated that international surcharge is part of ticket price for PQD purposes. Is this a glitch or a change? Maybe it is a SHARES problem. When pricing the itinerary before purchase, the "taxes and fees" show as about $55 but after cut the taxes and fees show as $231, exactly the difference of the intl surcharge.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: AS MVPG; Hertz Pres; Tanquery Million Minier
UA: PDX-DEN-AUS - 1062 RDMs
AS: AUS-SEA-PDX - 5094 award miles

I'm still booking some trips with UA, but when the schedule is similar it's certainly no contest with AS at the moment.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by eegulleye
I noticed today when I cut a ticket there is a new line under "traveler information" showing the award miles, PQM, PQS, PDQ, and a sub-menu showing the detailed calculations. However the calcs for my itinerary do not include the international surcharge which at almost $175 is about 15% of the total ticket price. I think it was previously stated that international surcharge is part of ticket price for PQD purposes. Is this a glitch or a change? Maybe it is a SHARES problem. When pricing the itinerary before purchase, the "taxes and fees" show as about $55 but after cut the taxes and fees show as $231, exactly the difference of the intl surcharge.
I got one yesterday and cannot see what you are referring to. Was this the ticket that gets sent to your email address or on the site or both or where?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Is it correct that *none* of the taxes/fees/etc are included in PQD? For example I'm currently in FLL and paid roughly $490 for the r/t ticket. The airfare paid was $415 and taxes are $75. When looking at PQD calculations I am getting credit for $417 (most likely because of rounding on several segments). Is that correct? I assume so but just wanted to check.

Thanks,
RM
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Is it correct that *none* of the taxes/fees/etc are included in PQD? ...
PQD only includes airline fees, so it is correct no taxes or external entity fees are included in PQD.
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
... For example I'm currently in FLL and paid roughly $490 for the r/t ticket. The airfare paid was $415 and taxes are $75. When looking at PQD calculations I am getting credit for $417 (most likely because of rounding on several segments). Is that correct? ....
impossible to defintively answer without seeing the full fare construction, but looks about right. 85% is a typically PQD yield for a mid-price domestic economy ticket.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:47 pm

Angry Premier Gold Member Burned by United's new MP Policy

I'm a Million Miler. Just completed a trip from San Francisco to Europe. First segment was SFO-LHR before March 1, so I received 8052 award miles (5368 flight miles x 1.5 bonus). Trip home from Barcelona via Lisbon/Newark to SFO. Flight miles = 6232. Award miles = 5432. Should have been 9348 on the return, so the new program has already ripped me off by 3916 miles. Welcome to 2015! Thanks, United.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ehplam
...Award miles = 5432. Should have been 9348 on the return, so the new program has already ripped me off by 3916 miles. Welcome to 2015! Thanks, United.
No, you should have been awarded 5432 according to the rules. You haven't been awarded less than United says they'll give you, so in what way have you been ripped off???? You're getting less that you did before, but you haven't been "ripped off". It is what it is.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Will this change encourage you to spend more money on UA flights — or, in particular, to switch your low-cost-per-mile trips to another airline while leaving your high-cost-per-mile trips on UA?
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
I'm a Million Miler. Just completed a trip from San Francisco to Europe. First segment was SFO-LHR before March 1, so I received 8052 award miles (5368 flight miles x 1.5 bonus). Trip home from Barcelona via Lisbon/Newark to SFO. Flight miles = 6232. Award miles = 5432. Should have been 9348 on the return, so the new program has already ripped me off by 3916 miles. Welcome to 2015! Thanks, United.
Not sure why you would consider this to be a ripoff when they had announced the rules and changes months ahead!
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Global Services and 3MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond/Marriott Titanium Ambassador, Hertz PC
It can go both ways. Spend more, get more. That is the new reality.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You bought a cheap ticket, so you got fewer miles. Why is that a rip off? You saved money and can put that money towards a vacation, your kids' college education or just stare at a pile of cash, as you choose.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I know exactly what you mean. I used to be able to fill up my tank with gas at the local station for 97 cents a gallon. Now they charge me over $2 a gallon. Talk about a rip-off! How dare they change things on me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.