Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Initial announcement thread - 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance
Update 2019 -- includes all partner flights on 016 ticket
for non-016 ticket , see Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.
Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (PQD)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)

Multipliers based on Premier status: & (breakeven CPM)
  • x5 General Members -- (20 cpm)
  • x7 Silver -- (17.86 cpm)
  • x8 Gold -- (18.75 cpm)
  • x9 Plat -- (19.44 cpm)
  • x11 1K/GS -- (18.18 cpm)

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $100 ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

Note that for itineraries which span the March 1 changeover date, the existing scheme will apply to any segment departing prior to March 1 , the new scheme will apply to the segments departing March 1 or after.

Appears no extra mileage for using a Chase MP card than the standard card mileage earning

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Sitewww.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html

Relevant UA Insider posts:
Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.
Answered Questions:
Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.

Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.

Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.

Unanswered Questions:
Originally Posted by a9504477
...Would this apply also to UA flights not on 016 stock? And if not, what would be the best way of purchasing such?
Unknown, but the FAQ indicates that all UA and UAx flights issued by ANY airline would be subjected to the new earning rates. There are exceptions (group tickets, bulk tickets, etc) like "Specialty Tickets" as mentioned below.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Do elite bonuses still apply to those [specialty] tickets?
It is mentioned in the FAQ: If applicable, Premier bonus award miles will be based on a member’s Premier status and the lower of the distance flown or miles awarded, per the chart above. Basically the bonus miles will be awarded but based on the lower number (i.e. distance flown for higher fares or the % based on fare). A 1K passenger purchasing F-fare from EWR-SFO would get only a 2565 mile bonus while a N-fare would get (50% of 2565) 1283 mile bonus. Still unclear what are the percentage bonus of each premier level but assume that it is the same (100% GS/1K, 75% Plat, 50% Gold, 25% Silver).

Specialty Tickets:
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.

Eligible fare classes
Flight operated by United and United Express
150% - J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
100% - Y, B, M
75% - E, U, H, Q, V, W
50% - S, T, L, K, G, N
Print Wikipost

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2023, 11:06 pm
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
How much would the same ticket cost 20 years ago? According to US bureau of labor CPI calculator, $1000 today has same purchase power as $600 in 2003.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 2:18 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by m.y
How much would the same ticket cost 20 years ago? According to US bureau of labor CPI calculator, $1000 today has same purchase power as $600 in 2003.
Sounds about right. But earning 16,000 miles back then.

Originally Posted by jsloan
The actual distance flown is irrelevant. Howeer, under 5000 miles for a ticket over $1000 seems a bit off, unless you mean something like 4980 miles for a $1050 ticket. Given that that sounds like an all-UA itinerary, he should receive 5 miles for each dollar of the base fare — that is, the fare less the taxes and fees. It’s worth checking to make sure that he wasn’t shorted.
Your numbers are spot on.

The butt-in-seat model was all about having to put in the time to earn. Now it is all about the money it seems, though our $100/2hr flight to Okinawa earned almost 1,000 miles one way, which I guess is a pretty good cpm return.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 2023 at 11:14 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 16, 2023, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Not only have earnings on cheaper tickets dropped significantly, but the value of the miles is way down as well. It used to be relatively easy to redeem UA over 2 cpp; now it's a challenge to get over 1 cpp. Bottom line is that frequent flyer programs, especially UA, have been massively devalued over the past decade. This was inevitable as publicity from bloggers publicized the outsized values that could be obtained. All good things come to an end.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not only have earnings on cheaper tickets dropped significantly, but the value of the miles is way down as well. It used to be relatively easy to redeem UA over 2 cpp; now it's a challenge to get over 1 cpp. Bottom line is that frequent flyer programs, especially UA, have been massively devalued over the past decade. This was inevitable as publicity from bloggers publicized the outsized values that could be obtained. All good things come to an end.
Polaris to Oz was so great when I could get Savers at 70k (partner 80k). But even now, at 200k it's still coming in well north of 2cpp.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mariol
Polaris to Oz was so great when I could get Savers at 70k (partner 80k). But even now, at 200k it's still coming in well north of 2cpp.
For every example of a good redemption, I can provide 10, 20, 50 (pick your number) of a poor one.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:28 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by mariol
Its been pretty easy to find 100K each way lately.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I've seen them, but not on the prime days I'm looking around New Years this year. I could have gotten one by extending my trip out 3 days.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:09 am

TO the OP: As Jon Favreau as the clown in Seinfeld said, 'you're living in the past man'.

Last edited by yakel; Dec 16, 2023 at 11:10 am Reason: add quote
Old Dec 16, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: United 1k, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador and LT-Gold
I guess, along the lines of what Wine said, what is the expectation?

$1000 for a TPAC (and more flight) and the expectation of enough miles for a "free" 1-way ticket to Hawaii also (I often see saver awards to OGG for 25k miles each way).... why not toss in a few upgrades......

we wonder why we are where we are now - but consider how many 1K's (and probably 1MM LT) earned status on the $500 RT Chicago-Hong Kong that I recall taking pre-COVID...or the old days of milage runs for status.... all this comes at a price.....

Did your son fly on UA metal? (I recall taking my first 787 in J SFO-KIX years ago)
- if so, at least he got BIS credit?

yes - all of these "status" (airline, hotel, etc) programs are essentially tiered glorified rebate programs..... and, whether we like it or not (and if you read FT enough - most are 'not') companies tend to not like rewarding "loyalty" to customers that try to spend as little money as possible for maximum benefit.....
SPN Lifer and m.y like this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 5:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
That's the economy price I was seeing for award tickets, exactly 1 cent per mile in value.

Originally Posted by mfirst
I guess, along the lines of what Wine said, what is the expectation?
Did your son fly on UA metal? (I recall taking my first 787 in J SFO-KIX years ago)
- if so, at least he got BIS credit?..
Yes, it was all UA, but it means little as he'll probably only have one such international roundtrip a year (unless he works for a company that requires such travel) and never get to any status.
It is true I (and most FlyerTalkers) want to maximize rewards, and this has been a reality check for me.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 16, 2023 at 6:16 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 16, 2023, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by mfirst
yes - all of these "status" (airline, hotel, etc) programs are essentially tiered glorified rebate programs..... and, whether we like it or not (and if you read FT enough - most are 'not') companies tend to not like rewarding "loyalty" to customers that try to spend as little money as possible for maximum benefit.....
As per my previous post here, there are still distanced based programs where you can maximize your flight's CPM (does not even have to be award booking). And, you can still game UA's program if you know where to look.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.