Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Initial announcement thread - 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance
Update 2019 -- includes all partner flights on 016 ticket
for non-016 ticket , see Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.
Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (PQD)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)

Multipliers based on Premier status: & (breakeven CPM)
  • x5 General Members -- (20 cpm)
  • x7 Silver -- (17.86 cpm)
  • x8 Gold -- (18.75 cpm)
  • x9 Plat -- (19.44 cpm)
  • x11 1K/GS -- (18.18 cpm)

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $100 ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

Note that for itineraries which span the March 1 changeover date, the existing scheme will apply to any segment departing prior to March 1 , the new scheme will apply to the segments departing March 1 or after.

Appears no extra mileage for using a Chase MP card than the standard card mileage earning

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Sitewww.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html

Relevant UA Insider posts:
Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.
Answered Questions:
Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.

Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.

Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.

Unanswered Questions:
Originally Posted by a9504477
...Would this apply also to UA flights not on 016 stock? And if not, what would be the best way of purchasing such?
Unknown, but the FAQ indicates that all UA and UAx flights issued by ANY airline would be subjected to the new earning rates. There are exceptions (group tickets, bulk tickets, etc) like "Specialty Tickets" as mentioned below.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Do elite bonuses still apply to those [specialty] tickets?
It is mentioned in the FAQ: If applicable, Premier bonus award miles will be based on a member’s Premier status and the lower of the distance flown or miles awarded, per the chart above. Basically the bonus miles will be awarded but based on the lower number (i.e. distance flown for higher fares or the % based on fare). A 1K passenger purchasing F-fare from EWR-SFO would get only a 2565 mile bonus while a N-fare would get (50% of 2565) 1283 mile bonus. Still unclear what are the percentage bonus of each premier level but assume that it is the same (100% GS/1K, 75% Plat, 50% Gold, 25% Silver).

Specialty Tickets:
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.

Eligible fare classes
Flight operated by United and United Express
150% - J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
100% - Y, B, M
75% - E, U, H, Q, V, W
50% - S, T, L, K, G, N
Print Wikipost

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by nobleoz
And I am a 1K!
So? 1Ks are getting screwed too - unless you are OPM flying to present a last minute power point or sell widgets in small town USA with $1000 airfares for a couple hours in an ERJ.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
So? 1Ks are getting screwed too - unless you are OPM flying to present a last minute power point or sell widgets in small town USA with $1000 airfares for a couple hours in an ERJ.
basically. Just purchased a TATL P-class ticket and will earn 40% less than last year.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
RDMs are heavily influenced by spending yield. I know many people will not like the system. PQM/PQS requirements remain the same. Where this new criteria hurts is the lowish spending yield international flying segment. The higher spending yield domestic road warrior should do rather well in RDMs under this program. Some people will be upset due to a loss of accrual compared to the past, others will be elated. Welcome to the new world of less competition. I doubt we've seen the last of devaluation.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by cruisr
True that, sadly
As pointed out by others, low-fare MR'ing is hardly dead. Anyone with a PQD waiver remains all-in for cheap, long-distance mileage runs. For the 1K folk, sure, you gotta hit the dollar target, you gotta pay to play. And in fairness, the 1K gets a lot more than the Plat. An awful lot more. Not saying the 1K gets enough, but there's a huge gap between the two elite levels (as there should be, given the requirements of each).
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
As pointed out by others, low-fare MR'ing is hardly dead. Anyone with a PQD waiver remains all-in for cheap, long-distance mileage runs. For the 1K folk, sure, you gotta hit the dollar target, you gotta pay to play. And in fairness, the 1K gets a lot more than the Plat. An awful lot more. Not saying the 1K gets enough, but there's a huge gap between the two elite levels (as there should be, given the requirements of each).
without the RDM, the cost of MR is probably triple than before. there is no use of status if one does not have miles in the account. i generate majority of my miles from flying.

to me, MR is dead.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kb1992
My friend just received 4,000 RDM for ORD-HKG segment.

It used to be 16,000 RDM.

That's 75% loss.
Just got > 4000 RDMs for my DEN-MAF segment (563 miles). The world has been turned on its head for sure.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Just got > 4000 RDMs for my DEN-MAF segment (563 miles). The world has been turned on its head for sure.
I think that for 1K domestic leisure travelers (especially short haul), it is quite easy to break the $0.18cpm break even. For instance, a 1440 mile DEN-STL round trip break even point is at $259, which is what I usually pay for this RT.... if not more. Likewise $320 for DEN-ORD, $579 for DEN-EWR, $310 for DEN-LAX or DEN-IAH.... these are pretty standard fares for someone like me that makes personal travel plans fairly short notice (2 weeks or less).

1K int'l leisure travelers, on the other hand, are taking a big hit. A round trip from SFO-ICN would require $2039 to break even.... given I have seen these fares as low as $800.... I would say that 80% - 90%... or maybe more of the load on that flight is taking a steep hit on RDM accrual.... especially since a Silver would need to pay in like $0.34cpm to break even ($3800 or so). My quick math may be slightly off but not by much here.

It will be interesting to see if there will be a surge in credit card offers that will give more miles than current offers give once this program stands the test of time. People will feel the pinch of fewer RDM's through the year more and more.... will be interesting to see if the CC companies swoop in later this year and cash in on this..... may this be part of the UA master plan?

To add to your note.... this week, the windfall has begun:

Week of 03/02: DEN-FAT-DEN @ $1,315 PQD / 14,465 RDM's vs. typically 4,009 RDM's
Week of 03/09: DEN-FAT-DEN @ $1,397 PQD / 15,367 RDM's vs. typically 4,252 RDM's
Week of 03/16: DEN-EWR-DEN @ $1,620 PQD / 17.820 RDM's vs. typically 8,045 RDM's
Week of 03/23: DEN-FAT-DEN @ $1,397 PQD / 15,367 RDM's vs. typically 4,252 RDM's

I am netting almost 3X the RDM's at this point. I do wish the new system went into effect on Jan 1, which would have netted me approximately an additional 60,000 RDM's compared to what I actually received.

Last edited by jjmoore; Mar 5, 2015 at 4:59 pm
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I have no idea what a domestic leisure 1k is - maybe they exist, but somehow I doubt anyone flies 50 transcons a year for 'leisure'

And, thank you for illustrating my point with actual numbers

Originally Posted by rankourabu

Originally Posted by jjmoore
I think that for 1K domestic leisure travelers

Week of 03/02: DEN-FAT-DEN @ $1,315 PQD / 14,465 RDM's vs. typically 4,009 RDM's
Week of 03/09: DEN-FAT-DEN @ $1,397 PQD / 15,367 RDM's vs. typically 4,252 RDM's
Week of 03/16: DEN-EWR-DEN @ $1,620 PQD / 17.820 RDM's vs. typically 8,045 RDM's
Week of 03/23: DEN-FAT-DEN @ $1,397 PQD / 15,367 RDM's vs. typically 4,252 RDM's
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA, LH, AS, AB
MR to Fresno. No thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Perhaps for RDM accumulation -- but not as a status run for those with PQD waivers (international or credit card -- and not going for 1K)
In the next deval, if you aren't 1K, you aren't going to like it.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
My one-way F ticket MCO-LAX flown on 3/3 just posted

I am Silver Premier , so my earnings factor is 7 and the ticket was $395.

I did correctly earn the 2217 PQM

I also earned the RDM correctly (2,765), so its a + in earnings for me.

Oddly, though, when the credit the trip, my statement says:
BASE MILES 1975 BONUS MILES 790

Why are the splitting it up like this? That makes no sense. There should be no "bonus miles" right?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by caseminole
My one-way F ticket MCO-LAX flown on 3/3 just posted

I am Silver Premier , so my earnings factor is 7 and the ticket was $395.

I did correctly earn the 2217 PQM

I also earned the RDM correctly (2,765), so its a + in earnings for me.

Oddly, though, when the credit the trip, my statement says:
BASE MILES 1975 BONUS MILES 790

Why are the splitting it up like this? That makes no sense. There should be no &quot;bonus miles&quot; right?
It actually does. Bonus is going to be the difference between 5x for general members and 7x for silver. So 5x395 = 1975, 2x = 790, for your 7x total of 2765.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jjmoore
...Week of 03/23: DEN-FAT-DEN @ $1,397 PQD / 15,367 RDM's vs. typically 4,252 RDM's....
Somebody's booking flexible/refundable tickets, eh? That'll pile up the miles pretty quickly under the new world order.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
EWR -MCO. 2/21. 938 base miles and 469 bonus. PQD 74.00
FLL - EWR -ZFV. 3/3. 245 base miles 147 bonus. PQD 49.00

The ticket was $170.00 so the price UA pays Amtrak for the EWR-ZFV is backed out.

At least my UGs clear both ways and I am down to Gold now.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Is there a testable hypothesis here?

Consensus opinion is that UA's adoption of spend-based RDM will, all things equal, encourage high-CPM customers who have a choice of carriers to retain UA or move to UA; and it's thought that it will incentivize low-CPM customers who have a choice of carriers to prefer (say) AS/AA over spend-based carriers UA/DL/VX/B6/WN.

Can we test this, making the tenuous assumption that all other things (route network, amenities) stay equal among the carriers?

Can we say, after the changes have stabilized, that we'll expect to see in mid-July Q2 earnings announcements some change happen in Q2?

What would we expect to measure? Change in passenger revenue per available seat mile per carrier? And what would we expect to see happen – a significantly higher increase in UA PRASM compared with B6/AA PRASM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.