Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 12, 2015, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Initial announcement thread - 2015 MileagePlus Change - RDMs Will Be Calculated by Spend, Not Distance
Update 2019 -- includes all partner flights on 016 ticket
for non-016 ticket , see Earning Status (PQP) on non-016 Tickets and Partner Metal

Spend-based mileage (RDM) earning for all UA metal flights effective March 1, 2015.
Redeemable Miles (RDM) changes highlights:
  • Miles earned will now be based on the ticket price instead of the number of miles flown
  • Ticket price is defined as base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges (PQD)
  • Class of service bonuses have been discontinued (e.g. X% more on A fares).
  • There is a limit of 75,000 miles earned per ticket (see below for spending limits by status)

Multipliers based on Premier status: & (breakeven CPM)
  • x5 General Members -- (20 cpm)
  • x7 Silver -- (17.86 cpm)
  • x8 Gold -- (18.75 cpm)
  • x9 Plat -- (19.44 cpm)
  • x11 1K/GS -- (18.18 cpm)

For example, a 1K would earn 1100 miles for a $100 ticket while a Silver would earn 700 miles for the same ticket.

Note that for itineraries which span the March 1 changeover date, the existing scheme will apply to any segment departing prior to March 1 , the new scheme will apply to the segments departing March 1 or after.

Appears no extra mileage for using a Chase MP card than the standard card mileage earning

As there is a maximum number of miles per ticket earned - this disincentives purchasing any ticket (excluding government taxes and fees) over the following:
  • $6818.18 for 1K/GS
  • $8333.33 for Platinum
  • $9375.00 for Gold
  • $10714.28 for Silver
  • $15000.00 for General Members

A way to avoid this is booking one-ways if the fare rules permit.

Premier Qualifying Miles (PQM) are not affected by this change.

Announcement Sitewww.mileageplusupdates.com
There is a tool on the site that allow you to enter how much you spent on a ticket along your premier status in order to calculate how many miles you will earn under the new system. The tool is aware of the miles per ticket limit.

There is a FAQ here: http://mileageplusupdates.com/faq.html

Relevant UA Insider posts:
Post 57: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23008349-post57.html
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we’re announcing changes to how MileagePlus members will earn award miles in 2015. We’ve posted complete details and a FAQ on united.com, but I wanted to share an excerpt of the key points with you directly:

As of March 1, 2015, the award miles you earn on most United and United Express tickets will be based on your ticket price (that is, base fare plus carrier-imposed surcharges) and your MileagePlus status, instead of the distance you travel. The new criteria for earning award miles will look like this:

<portion removed for brevity>

The changes to earning award miles will apply to all MileagePlus members worldwide, and will be based on status at the time of flight on or after March 1, 2015. These changes will not affect the qualification requirements for 2015 Premier status. PQM and PQS will still be based on the number of paid flight miles traveled and the fare purchased. And where applicable, PQD will still be determined by the base fare and carrier-imposed surcharges.

As mentioned above, there are more details and a FAQ posted online, and over the next few days we’ll be communicating this information to our members.
Answered Questions:
Originally Posted by SunLover
So a 1K purchasing a $5,000 EWR-NRT ticket would earn 55,000 miles plus the 1K additional RDM’s?
Class of service bonuses have been discontinued under the new system. There is already an adjustment for 1K over general members.

Originally Posted by ckidder331

LAX-Intl Location in Business Class as a Premier Gold

Would a $5,000 ticket in Business class to Asia earn:

5000 x 8 = 40,000 (Premier Gold earning)
5000 x .75 = 3750 (Class of Service bonus)
43,750 Total
For tickets that will earn award miles based on ticket price, the class-of-service bonus and Premier bonus will be included in the number of award miles you earn per dollar. Basically COS has been removed.

Originally Posted by mikelcf
...On the mileageplus announcement site and FAQ site it lists only 1K's. With respect to most mileage levels, etc. UA usually treats GS the same as 1K, so I assume that's the case here, but has anyone seen anything specific to GS?
E-mail received by GS lists 1K and GS together.

Unanswered Questions:
Originally Posted by a9504477
...Would this apply also to UA flights not on 016 stock? And if not, what would be the best way of purchasing such?
Unknown, but the FAQ indicates that all UA and UAx flights issued by ANY airline would be subjected to the new earning rates. There are exceptions (group tickets, bulk tickets, etc) like "Specialty Tickets" as mentioned below.

Originally Posted by raehl311
Do elite bonuses still apply to those [specialty] tickets?
It is mentioned in the FAQ: If applicable, Premier bonus award miles will be based on a member’s Premier status and the lower of the distance flown or miles awarded, per the chart above. Basically the bonus miles will be awarded but based on the lower number (i.e. distance flown for higher fares or the % based on fare). A 1K passenger purchasing F-fare from EWR-SFO would get only a 2565 mile bonus while a N-fare would get (50% of 2565) 1283 mile bonus. Still unclear what are the percentage bonus of each premier level but assume that it is the same (100% GS/1K, 75% Plat, 50% Gold, 25% Silver).

Specialty Tickets:
Originally Posted by iloveipods
Specialty tickets that earn award miles in the current program (including, but not limited to consolidator/bulk, group, tour and other tickets where the fare paid is not disclosed on the ticket) will earn award miles based on a percentage of the distance flown and the purchased fare class as of March 1, 2015. Please refer to the chart below for details.

Eligible fare classes
Flight operated by United and United Express
150% - J, C, D, Z, P, F, A
100% - Y, B, M
75% - E, U, H, Q, V, W
50% - S, T, L, K, G, N
Print Wikipost

RDM earnings for UA tickets / UA operated flights - based on spend (PQD, now PQPs)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
how much they pay to fly those miles
Clearly they are not honouring their own rules in that case. Cake and eat it are two words that spring to mind.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, AF FB silver
Thumbs down Disappointed

I am not particularly desperate about miles, even if I purchase economy tickets and therefore on average I will lose about 40% of earned miles (in fact I traveled on the same route before and after March 1st, and got 13,960 miles before and 8,305 after). I have about 1 million miles which I don't use that often.
I am not going to be accountant for petty UA, my plat status is guaranteed by my credit card, IF I will stay with UA any longer.
What really bothers me is the pettiness of UA marketing choices: this year even the bag tags for 1K are half size as compared to before. This desperation to save money and cut benefits while the company is making profits is just pathetic.
What is more worrisome is that DL and UA implemented the exact same policy on the same day. I am not sure there is a free market anymore in the aviation industry.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 3:30 am

Programs: UAL Global Services; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
So far I like the 11 times multiple.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 4:24 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by easte
What really bothers me is the pettiness of UA marketing choices: this year even the bag tags for 1K are half size as compared to before. This desperation to save money and cut benefits while the company is making profits is just pathetic.
The Diamond Delta tags are metal with metal connectors with your status on them. The United ones are plastic, half the size, do not have name or status on them. It's pathetic and extremely short sited
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:05 am
RNE

Originally Posted by cowboy
So far I like the 11 times multiple.
Whereas I don't like the 9 times multiplier because it's only 1 times better than Gold's 8 times multiplier and not even twice what a measly GM gets!

RNE, feeling my Platinum is a tad tarnished.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:17 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by rankourabu
Does the conference need a new travel agent?
The same itinerary booked thru LH/AC is >$4000 cheaper

I dont think you will be getting much sympathy when the majority of flyers are getting screwed, and you call earnings on your overpriced OPM ticket unfair
Probably even less sympathy for an overpriced ticket that some one else paid for.

I agree the cap is stupid though. The incremental number of miles that UA would give up on this outlying ticket behaviour is tiny compared to the "negative marketing value" of the cap...its perceived negatively by everyone who likely will make FFbased decisions, even if it doesnt apply.

Originally Posted by zrs70
Perhaps I missed the memo with the new scheme…

According to the matrix, we aren't 630 base miles for Seattle-LAX. Mind you, there was a slew of other bonus and pqms.

But when I care most now are the miles that count toward million miler status.

Any insight as to where this calculation is listed?
Actual miles used for MM status. No bonuses. Chasing MM status is foolhardy unless you are within one year of target, though.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 8, 2015 at 10:45 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member - please use multi-quoting
Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Unless you spend crazy money, long haul traveling and acquiring miles are done. Short trips, LGA-ORD, IAD-LGA,DEN-PHX, will do well in the future, LAX-LHR and beyond are screwed.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RNE
Whereas I don't like the 9 times multiplier because it's only 1 times better than Gold's 8 times multiplier and not even twice what a measly GM gets!

RNE, feeling my Platinum is a tad tarnished.
Yeah, this is the biggest miss. The only real advantage to Platinum now is boarding group and maybe the 2 RPUs. I was close enough to consider it this year, but chose not to as I didn't see the benefit.

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
Unless you spend crazy money, long haul traveling and acquiring miles are done. Short trips, LGA-ORD, IAD-LGA,DEN-PHX, will do well in the future, LAX-LHR and beyond are screwed.
Short-haul fliers are likely cleaning up on miles, as expected. I've only had one rt since 3/1 (ORD-MCI) but I got more RDMs as a Gold than I did as a 1K last year...2000 last year and 2120 this year. Would have been 2915 if I had renewed 1K.

As I look ahead to the trips I expect for work over the next 2 months, I think I'm going to do quite well. still not sure it was the right business decision for UA, but I'm pretty happy with it.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
No kidding. i just priced a W fare intl trip that will earn a 1K roughly 25% the RDM they would have earned on the same itinerary before March 1.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: EY Gold, GF Gold, IHG Plat, UA Gold
Mileage at 1/15 after based on revenue

Here are the miles below on a return flight flown on March 4th and February 18th.

I'm speechless. Who on earth can now earn miles? Even on company dime at the highest earning rate of 11x the $$, these miles are not worth much value. Wow!!!

Date Flight Miles
03/04/2015 United 180-K class 744 (HKG - LAX)
02/18/2015 United 179-K class 12,090 (LAX - HKG)

I do get the bigger picture and understand well about classes and the earning structure and I am UA Gold, but a devaluation of 93%! I know UA is following the other airlines in revenue based earning of miles.

Outstanding United. The only good thing I have are the lounges for the rest of the year but won't have them anymore as I have no more loyalty to a program that insults my consumer logic.

I was happy with the newly discovered Trans-Pacific United Y cabin. Wasn't near as bad as I had read on FlyerTalk. However, for the same price, Asiana rock big time but more than likely, I'll fly trans-Atlantic instead and use Etihad or any other airline as I find this somehow a slap in the traveling public's psyche.

I've had 30 years of FF miles and I've had a good run but that is now ending. I will now channel my energy into Tai Chi or yoga instead of loyalty programs.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by rascally14
I'm speechless. Who on earth can now earn miles?
based on this thread and logic - OPM flyers flying short domestic trips at inflated last minute prices and/or to small town USA.

oh, and credit card holders
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Date Flight Miles
So lets see - on a Gold RDM factor of 5x, you paid about 300 USD for this trip before taxes?

I think anyone can see why a mileage redemption of old, 2x12090 or about 24000 RDMS, at a valuation of even 1cpm, of 240 USD didn't last.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by bocastephen
...Someone incorrectly decided that outstanding miles should be a liability on the books, which I strongly disagree with given there is no actual liability or cost until a ticket is redeemed ...
I think this is the crux of the matter. I can't debate with you or anyone whether outstanding miles should be treated as a liability but the fact remains that this is how they are treated right now. So DAL and UA have decided to reduce this liability over time and redistribute miles purely to those who spend more. Meanwhile, most will be able to earn more miles through credit card spend than through flying. This is very deliberate on the part of DAL and UA. This is why I can't see AA not following. They will also want to reduce liabilities commensurate with their peer group.

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Nobody was getting screwed, before or now.

HVF were getting about 5% rebates, LVF were getting 30%

now both are getting the same percentage discount off their spend if they are at the same status.

FF miles are a financial liability and accounting rules typically allow a historical overall use rate of 80%. Approximately 20% of miles expire unused. These facts stein airlines financials, public documents ( or can be calculated from statements therein)
So the airlines will end up reducing the total amount of liability by a fair percentage and then allocate a greater percentage of miles to their HVFs going forward to match benefits with fares paid. All of this appears logical to me. One day (hopefully sooner than later), I won't be GS/CK and I'll be on the other side of the equation. I'll just spend on my credit cards and use cash to get where I want to go in the cabin I prefer. The salad days of flying in front on mileage awards and earning RDMs on low priced trips are over.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
So lets see - on a Gold RDM factor of 5x, you paid about 300 USD for this trip before taxes?

I think anyone can see why a mileage redemption of old, 2x12090 or about 24000 RDMS, at a valuation of even 1cpm, of 240 USD didn't last.
Try again. Gold is 8x so he paid $93 somehow.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rascally14
Here are the miles below on a return flight flown on March 4th and February 18th.

I'm speechless. Who on earth can now earn miles? Even on company dime at the highest earning rate of 11x the $$, these miles are not worth much value. Wow!!!

Date Flight Miles

I do get the bigger picture and understand well about classes and the earning structure and I am UA Gold, but a devaluation of 93%! I know UA is following the other airlines in revenue based earning of miles.
You paid $93 to be flown about a third of the way around the world, I can see why UA doesn't want to reward that behavior.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.