Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Incorrect / Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Posted 14 March 2015
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your comments regarding our display of MileagePlus earning information.

We are aware that there are some rare instances, where international surcharge is being excluding from the display of award miles and PQD when viewing your upcoming reservation on United.com. We expect to have the earnings display corrected shortly. Please rest assured that the final earnings reflected in your Account summary once you have flown will include the surcharge.

-UA Insider
NOTE: The overwhelming consensus is that preflight PQD/PQM/RDM information on an itinerary is frequently wrong for inexplicable reasons, but it being wrong on the itinerary has no bearing on whether correct PQD/PQM/RDM will post to your MP account after flying a segment. So don't worry if things look wrong pre-flight; it is only necessary to contact MP if post-flight posting is incorrect.

Archive thread: Incorrect/Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Incorrect / Ineligible projected earning information showing on my itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2023, 4:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, National Exec Elite
Forecasting tool

I was just checking what United was forecasting my PQP to be by the end of this year. As it turns out they seem to be calculating the PQPs for a family of 4 on a trip later this year, when I assume they should just be PQPs for my ticket only? I didn’t use a United branded credit card, so I don't get family members PQPs, regardless if I paid for the booking.

Am I missing something or is this just part of United’s lousy forecasting for hitting status for 2024?
Old Oct 24, 2023, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by littlea905
I was just checking what United was forecasting my PQP to be by the end of this year. As it turns out they seem to be calculating the PQPs for a family of 4 on a trip later this year, when I assume they should just be PQPs for my ticket only? I didn’t use a United branded credit card, so I don't get family members PQPs, regardless if I paid for the booking.

Am I missing something or is this just part of United’s lousy forecasting for hitting status for 2024?
Flight earnings go to the traveler. A credit card doesn't make a difference, unless you are thinking of the spend.
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by littlea905

mystatus.united.com is notoriously wrong. That said, I have not seen or heard that it showed flights for other pax on the same PNR as part of the estimate. Best is to not rely on these tools ... use a good old pen/paper or Excel
jsloan likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 2:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
... ... use a good old pen/paper or Excel
Occasionally a protractor is needed also
Old Nov 10, 2023, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I was just adding up my accruals for the year, and one of my flights showed:

• This itinerary includes one or more flights that are ineligible to earn mileage or Premier qualifying credit.

(all UA metal)

I called and as she was checking for me, I refreshed the screen and it was now fine.
Showed 6 PQF and 2816 PQP and 30,976 miles, which is what I expected when I booked.

Before I could say anything, she came back with “ This trip will earn 6 PQF and 2714 PQP and 29K+ miles”
When I told her about the discrepancy, she said the Accruals shown online are “only approximate”

WHAT????
Old Nov 10, 2023, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chavala
I was just adding up my accruals for the year, and one of my flights showed:

• This itinerary includes one or more flights that are ineligible to earn mileage or Premier qualifying credit.

(all UA metal)

I called and as she was checking for me, I refreshed the screen and it was now fine.
Showed 6 PQF and 2816 PQP and 30,976 miles, which is what I expected when I booked.

Before I could say anything, she came back with “ This trip will earn 6 PQF and 2714 PQP and 29K+ miles”
When I told her about the discrepancy, she said the Accruals shown online are “only approximate”

WHAT????
In practise, yes the accruals are approximate because they apparently can't figure out how to code all the different cases correctly. And yes, that they can be wrong even with all UA metal.

Safest thing to do in that case is just look at your receipt, and sum the airfare + international surcharge lines. You should get that total for the trip, plus potentially around 1-5 extra if you have several segments.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by fumje
In practise, yes the accruals are approximate because they apparently can't figure out how to code all the different cases correctly. And yes, that they can be wrong even with all UA metal.

Safest thing to do in that case is just look at your receipt, and sum the airfare + international surcharge lines. You should get that total for the trip, plus potentially around 1-5 extra if you have several segments.
Thanks! I don’t remember what’s not included on a domestic tkt.
I have Airfare 2712.38
US Transportation Tax 87.38
US Flight Segment Tax 11.20
Sep 11 Security Fee 11.20
US Passenger Facility Charge 18.00
Shows MP total accruals as 2714 PQP and 29,854 Miles which is what agent told me.

That’s a pretty big discrepancy which will make or break me for 1K next year.
I can’t believe I trusted the system all this time. Now I have to go check all my reservations this way? Damn.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I have Airfare 2712.38
Shows MP total accruals as 2714 PQP and 29,854 Miles which is what agent told me.

I can’t believe I trusted the system all this time. Now I have to go check all my reservations this way? Damn.
For domestic itineraries, PQP is generally just the airfare portion. The rest, taxes and fees, are excluded. You are getting 2 extra PQP due to rounding (2,712 airfare vs. 2,714 PQP).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have Airfare 2712.38

I am surprised the accruals estimate (which is what they should call it) would be off by that much — seems almost like it included some of the taxes?? — but I have seen it mess up enough times that I never trust it for my own tallies.

Good luck making up the gap somehow! Hopefully one of your other reservations was off in the other direction by that amount.
Old Nov 10, 2023, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by fumje
I am surprised the accruals estimate (which is what they should call it) would be off by that much — seems almost like it included some of the taxes?? — but I have seen it mess up enough times that I never trust it for my own tallies.

Good luck making up the gap somehow! Hopefully one of your other reservations was off in the other direction by that amount.
Everything else is accurate. So instead of being over by only 4 PQP (personal best), I’m short 98 : (

BTW the Future Flight Status shows I made 1K — so that’s not accurate either

Last edited by chavala; Nov 10, 2023 at 10:30 am
Old Nov 21, 2023, 6:14 am

UA Marketed, AC operated but no mileage?

I have a trip booked and just looked more at my invoice receipt

It shows UA8053/AC8776, booked in K via United, as no mileage plan accrual. It was a cash ticket, in economy (not basic)

anyone know why?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 21, 2023 at 11:13 am Reason: Moved to subject thread
Old Nov 21, 2023, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Common issue
Should fix itself upon flight completion.

Looks like you booked everything through United. You will earn based on the fare plus any surcharges, but not taxes nor fees.
ty97 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 21, 2023 at 11:13 am Reason: cleanup after merge, thanks for the link
Old Nov 21, 2023, 11:11 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As mentioned, this is likely a common display error. But it is worth noting, juts because a flight is "UA Marketed" does not mean it will earning PQPs/PQFs. The underlying flight flight and flight operator is what determines earnings and a UA flight number does not guarantee earning.
However, in this case it is appears just to be a display error.

Look at the ticket pricing details and add Airfare+International Surcharge (if any) to get the total trip PQPs. Note each segment is rounded up, so you may get a few extra PQPs
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:30 am

Programs: MileagePlus - Gold
Trying to book YYZ to PHL (Feb 10th) through United.com. Some direct Air Canada codeshares are shown, but when viewing "details" of these flights it shows "0 base award miles, and 0 PQF / 0 PQP." This is a mistake right? Since this would be a 016 booking, shouldn't it give the same award/PQF/PQP as if it were on United metal?
Old Jan 15, 2024, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by willryu
Some direct Air Canada codeshares are shown, but when viewing "details" of these flights it shows "0 base award miles, and 0 PQF / 0 PQP." This is a mistake right?
YAIB (Yet Another IT Bug). Ignore reported accrual numbers for flights not operated by United.
willryu likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.