Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Press Release dated October 14 2015.

Oct 25: PS menus get upgraded and look delicious
Nov 1: Domestic first flights between 1:30 and 3:59pm that are more than 3 hours get lunch
Nov 1: Hawaii and transcon redeyes get dinner service

Beginning Nov. 1, the airline will refresh lunch and dinner choices for United First and United Business customers on flights throughout the U.S. and Canada, and to Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America leisure markets.

United-operated flights that currently offer meal service will addnew dishes, like Spanish paella, mushroom risotto and seafood cioppino on shorter dinner flights.

Meal window expansion

The carrier will also expand meals to:

Lunch flights longer than three hours, departing between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m., which will offer options that include seasonal entree salads like a Napa salad with grilled salmon, goat cheese and fig and an arugula salad with Milanese-style chicken; and

Late-night flights between Hawaii and Houston, Chicago, New York/Newark and Washington, which will offer full dinner service with new entrees, such as hoisin short ribs with wasabi grits and stir-fried vegetables.

Late-night non-p.s. transcontinental flights and service between Hawaii and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver, as well as other late-departing flights of at least five hours and 20 minutes, will offer hearty sandwiches after takeoff, such as a pretzel burger with bleu cheese dressing, arugula and pickled onions, followed by warmed pastries before arrival.

United will continue to offer its p.s. made-to-order sundaes for dessert, followed by bake-on-board cookies prior to arrival.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As a follow-up to our recent news release about investments we’re making in dining onboard and in our United Clubs, we have a number of details to share about changes coming this weekend to every cabin on many of our North and Latin America flights, to offer you restaurant-quality meals. These latest upgrades come in addition to those we made October 25 to premium-cabin dining on our p.s. Premium Service.

For a more in-depth look at the investment we’re making in our food, UnitedAirtime.com now includes insightful foodie stories and a new video about why we want the food we serve to be exciting and interesting – something we’re working on in partnership with The Trotter Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring new generations of culinary minds.

Here are some highlights of menu changes on flights within the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, and leisure markets in Mexico; which will be reflected beginning November 2 on our united.com North America premium-cabin dining page and Choice Menu page:

p.s. Premium Service enhancements beginning October 25:

Premium-cabin dining changes beginning November 1:
              -New seasonal entrée salads with refreshed protein component served on the side
              -New side salads and transcon/Hawaii starter salads
              -The United Business cabin on three-cabin aircraft will offer all entrée choices served in the United First cabin
              -United Express two-cabin regional jet service will also offer new premium-cabin lunch, dinner and snacks, and expanded lunch meal service to flights longer than three hours
              Choice Menu Bistro on Board changes beginning November 1

We hope many of you have the opportunity to experience these new dining options and we look forward to hearing from you.

-UA Insider
                  Print Wikipost

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
                  Originally Posted by channa
                  Personally I don't mind it, I think it's pretty good.

Though I've seen people get offended because they don't pick up that it's a chicken stuffed with tamale, they think it's a chicken tamale and totally inappropriate for BF.
                  heh, I'd much rather have chicken tamales.

Incidentally, last January I had a rare opportunity to do a true apples-to-apples comparison between UA and AA catering. I flew SFO-JFK on United PS, and ex-JFK on AA's new F on the same weekend and both were dinner flights that served a tamale-filled chicken breast (or at least I think the AA flight did--if not it was something similar). The difference on portion size was striking--I'm not sure I had ever seen a chicken breast the size of the AA one: http://imgur.com/a/hl1FO
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:13 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
                  Originally Posted by Kacee
                  I would have gladly taken it on Monday. Everything looked so awful I just ate the salad.
                  What kind of flight?

I had a BF flight with a ~9:00 AM departure, where I ate my salad and sides and left the steak. Nothing like a hunk of prison beef first thing in the morning!

I'm hoping the new sorbet is of decent quality that I will take it. I often get flack from the FAs when I decline the sundae. Well, not flack, they think it's unusual.
                  Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:48 pm
                  A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
                  What kind of flight?

I had a BF flight with a ~9:00 AM departure, where I ate my salad and sides and left the steak. Nothing like a hunk of prison beef first thing in the morning!

I'm hoping the new sorbet is of decent quality that I will take it. I often get flack from the FAs when I decline the sundae. Well, not flack, they think it's unusual.
                  ps JFK-SFO. My girlfriend had one bite of steak and pushed it away.

I always pass on the sundae. The FAs think it's weird.

Looking forward to wonton soup right now. Maybe the best dish UA serves.
                  Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:22 am

Currently on an IAD-SFO transcon. Was served the usual breakfast - omelet, potato glop, and hockey puck. The Croissant was fresh for a change. Sad aspect - once breakfast tray was cleared, the two FA's retired up front and no drink refills offered. I thought that aspect of pmCO service had disappeared, but I guess old habits die hard.
                  Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Sykes
                  heh, I'd much rather have chicken tamales.

Incidentally, last January I had a rare opportunity to do a true apples-to-apples comparison between UA and AA catering. I flew SFO-JFK on United PS, and ex-JFK on AA's new F on the same weekend and both were dinner flights that served a tamale-filled chicken breast (or at least I think the AA flight did--if not it was something similar). The difference on portion size was striking--I'm not sure I had ever seen a chicken breast the size of the AA one: http://imgur.com/a/hl1FO
                  AA is still serving main courses on those cheap little mini dishes? Looks pretty bad.

Even more so if it's First, but I'm guessing you actually flew Business.
                  Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:41 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
                  Originally Posted by halls120
                  Currently on an IAD-SFO transcon. Was served the usual breakfast - omelet, potato glop, and hockey puck. The Croissant was fresh for a change. Sad aspect - once breakfast tray was cleared, the two FA's retired up front and no drink refills offered. I thought that aspect of pmCO service had disappeared, but I guess old habits die hard.
                  Not at all. I had a crew the other day EWR-LAX with minimal service as well. I rang the call button (as my companion calls it) twice, and others rang it as well.

The whole F cabin was dry for the most part, with empty glasses and trash not picked up unless requested. The FAs were visibly annoyed when people wanted refills. Flight time was about 6 hours.

Others were bringing glasses up front as they went to the lav, and in order to avoid everyone asking for refills, the FA would refill just their beverage and have it waiting for them when they exited the lav. That way they didn't have to walk the aisle and get flagged down. Nice avoidance tactic there.

But it's inconsistent. My connection LAX-SFO had a very junior crew, and amazingly, we got more refill offers on that < 1-hour hop than we did on the transcon. They were most excellent.

Last edited by goalie; Jan 27, 2015 at 11:17 am Reason: removed PMCO trolling comment
                  Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
                  Flew a 3h 40min flight yesterday on an E175, departure at 5:40pm. Pathetic first experience: No PDB, plastic cups, ran out of red wine, tiny snack box (that qualifies as "Snack"?!), no wifi, no IFE, flight one hour late. Couldn't believe they had no fresh food on board.

These changes are long overdue!
                  Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:11 am

Not at all. I had a crew the other day EWR-LAX with minimal service as well. I rang the call button (as my companion calls it) twice, and others rang it as well.

The whole F cabin was dry for the most part, with empty glasses and trash not picked up unless requested. The FAs were visibly annoyed when people wanted refills. Flight time was about 6 hours.

Others were bringing glasses up front as they went to the lav, and in order to avoid everyone asking for refills, the FA would refill just their beverage and have it waiting for them when they exited the lav. That way they didn't have to walk the aisle and get flagged down. Nice avoidance tactic there.

But it's inconsistent. My connection LAX-SFO had a very junior crew, and amazingly, we got more refill offers on that < 1-hour hop than we did on the transcon. They were most excellent.
                  We finally got offered the snack basket and water. But as I look around, trash and empty glasses, and we now have 3 FA's up front - 2 sitting and one standing, having a good old time. And it isn't all pmCO crews. My last TCon, you'd have thought it was a pmUA flight - the sCO crew was fabulous - I made sure to recognize them to 1KVoice.

This crew's performance is ironic, given the "training is a continuous effort" video we saw before the safety video.

Last edited by goalie; Jan 27, 2015 at 11:18 am Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post
                  Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by halls120
                  We finally got offered the snack basket and water. But as I look around, trash and empty glasses, and we now have 3 FA's up front - 2 sitting and one standing, having a good old time. And it isn't all pmCO crews. My last TCon, you'd have thought it was a pmUA flight - the sCO crew was fabulous - I made sure to recognize them to 1KVoice.

This crew's performance is ironic, given the "training is a continuous effort" video we saw before the safety video.
                  The only thing consistent at the U.S. legacy carriers is inconsistent service from FAs. While horrible service is an exception, there's plenty of indifference in ALL legacy work groups.
                  Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:17 am
                  Suspended
                  Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
                  Originally Posted by fly18725
                  The only thing consistent at the U.S. legacy carriers is inconsistent service from FAs. While horrible service is an exception, there's plenty of indifference in ALL legacy work groups.
                  Indifference exists in customer service in every industry in the country, as it does in every country.

I just flew Emirates in paid F from CPT-DXB-LAX. Our CPT-DXB F crew was not particularly impressive, and was generally as indifferent as I've ever seen an international F crew. Yet most will agree that Emirates is a pretty good airline. Our F DXB-LAX crew, on the other hand, was amazing, perfectly reflecting why Emirates is such a lauded airline.

I've generally had very good experience with UA, including the outbound LAX-LHR on UA GF (award ticket) for that same trip. Even on domestic F with UA, I've found FAs to be pretty good, despite all the rhetoric herein. The food is fine, nothing special, but it gets the job done in keeping me fed. I'm delighted that UA will be improving the food selection.

All in all, I just don't hold the US (or Euro) carriers to the same standard as Asian and Gulf longhaul international carriers when I fly domestically. It always amazes me that others do. There are good crews and bad crews, but I almost always have a positive FA experience with UA.

Sometimes, I wonder if too many of the negative comments about UA (or other carrier) crews comes from disgruntled people who simply refuse to see the good and only see the bad. I'm a tough person to please, and when I pay for luxury I expect it to be delivered and am prepared to fight to get it or get reimbursed when it is not...but I have no expectation for luxury when I fly an airline in economy or E+ and have only a slightly better expectation for better and more comfortable service and amenities when I fly domestic F. Perhaps some people should adjust.
                  Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
                  Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
                  AA is still serving main courses on those cheap little mini dishes? Looks pretty bad.

Even more so if it's First, but I'm guessing you actually flew Business.
                  That was actually pmAA, before all the changes on 9/1.
                  Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
                  Originally Posted by Kacee
                  Looking forward to wonton soup right now. Maybe the best dish UA serves.
                  Is this the wonton soup you speak of?
                  http://i61.tinypic.com/28lwhf7.jpg

I had it on HKG-ORD and found it very strange tasting. Def not authentic, maybe some sort of modern take, almost sweet tasting. No real filling. Hopefully the one you're thinking of is different.

My fav dish is actually their steak (when not overcooked). That and maybe the braised beef with noodles, that's kind of hard to mess up.
                  Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
                  Originally Posted by eng3
                  Is this the wonton soup you speak of?
                  http://i61.tinypic.com/28lwhf7.jpg

I had it on HKG-ORD and found it very strange tasting. Def not authentic, maybe some sort of modern take, almost sweet tasting. No real filling. Hopefully the one you're thinking of is different.
                  That's the one. I didn't say it was authentic

The spicy noodle soup OZ serves in J/F is amazing.
                  Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
                  Really wish the new UX >800 mile policy had been in place this week. Flew GRR-DEN-EUG, both segments on CR7s in F. In the new world, both would have had fresh food (vs. just the pm snack box). Unexpectedly, my meetings ran very long so I was late getting to GRR, and had a very short layover in DEN. I had my contingency apple & almonds in my bag, but that doesn't exactly make for a great dinner (and the snack boxes are not much help). Fortunately, DEN-EUG was delayed and I was able to pick something up at DEN.

Obviously, that scenario is not the end of the world, and not super common for me. But, not having to worry about whether I'll be starving at the end of 7 hours of travel would be nice. So, anyways, fresh food on UX is long overdue and actually is a change I will like....
                  Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA G
                  Speaking of noodle soup, the mid-flight Ippudo ramen snack on NH is awesome. mmmm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.