Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Press Release dated October 14 2015.

Oct 25: PS menus get upgraded and look delicious
Nov 1: Domestic first flights between 1:30 and 3:59pm that are more than 3 hours get lunch
Nov 1: Hawaii and transcon redeyes get dinner service

Beginning Nov. 1, the airline will refresh lunch and dinner choices for United First and United Business customers on flights throughout the U.S. and Canada, and to Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America leisure markets.

United-operated flights that currently offer meal service will addnew dishes, like Spanish paella, mushroom risotto and seafood cioppino on shorter dinner flights.

Meal window expansion

The carrier will also expand meals to:

Lunch flights longer than three hours, departing between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m., which will offer options that include seasonal entree salads like a Napa salad with grilled salmon, goat cheese and fig and an arugula salad with Milanese-style chicken; and

Late-night flights between Hawaii and Houston, Chicago, New York/Newark and Washington, which will offer full dinner service with new entrees, such as hoisin short ribs with wasabi grits and stir-fried vegetables.

Late-night non-p.s. transcontinental flights and service between Hawaii and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver, as well as other late-departing flights of at least five hours and 20 minutes, will offer hearty sandwiches after takeoff, such as a pretzel burger with bleu cheese dressing, arugula and pickled onions, followed by warmed pastries before arrival.

United will continue to offer its p.s. made-to-order sundaes for dessert, followed by bake-on-board cookies prior to arrival.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As a follow-up to our recent news release about investments we’re making in dining onboard and in our United Clubs, we have a number of details to share about changes coming this weekend to every cabin on many of our North and Latin America flights, to offer you restaurant-quality meals. These latest upgrades come in addition to those we made October 25 to premium-cabin dining on our p.s. Premium Service.

For a more in-depth look at the investment we’re making in our food, UnitedAirtime.com now includes insightful foodie stories and a new video about why we want the food we serve to be exciting and interesting – something we’re working on in partnership with The Trotter Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring new generations of culinary minds.

Here are some highlights of menu changes on flights within the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, and leisure markets in Mexico; which will be reflected beginning November 2 on our united.com North America premium-cabin dining page and Choice Menu page:

p.s. Premium Service enhancements beginning October 25:

Premium-cabin dining changes beginning November 1:
              -New seasonal entrée salads with refreshed protein component served on the side
              -New side salads and transcon/Hawaii starter salads
              -The United Business cabin on three-cabin aircraft will offer all entrée choices served in the United First cabin
              -United Express two-cabin regional jet service will also offer new premium-cabin lunch, dinner and snacks, and expanded lunch meal service to flights longer than three hours
              Choice Menu Bistro on Board changes beginning November 1

We hope many of you have the opportunity to experience these new dining options and we look forward to hearing from you.

-UA Insider
                  Print Wikipost

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: United GS, MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
                  I have a flight from sna to den on Monday am. Hoping for some breakfast!! Still says refreshment on my details.
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
                  Originally Posted by radiowell
                  Check your reservations. My F/C meals are updated, highlighted by NRT-ICN meal changed from "Dinner" to "Snack" (which is more apt). I posted elsewhere that 737 NRT-ICN is now Business (just in January it was BusinessFirst) so this is one consequence, I guess.

Also my 200 mile segments changed from None to Refreshment.
                  I flew in January when the service was BF. Blankets and pillows were international Y standard. I did notice the round plates instead of "casserole dish" for the entree, guess that will change now. Meal was a "take it or leave it option" and served on a single tray, presented all at once including dessert. Excellent service which is usually the case with a GUM based crew. Actually, service felt more attentive than the previous EWR-NRT flight. NRT-ICN is only 785 miles so none of the above factors severely detracted from the experience.
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
                  Definitely not trying to play moderator, but should we maybe close this thread, and have all reports/questions on the new service be asked in the respective domestic/international threads, as the changes fall effective today (2/1/15)? That way, that would elimination confusion and potential duplicates.

Hope that makes sense!
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 7:36 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
                  Originally Posted by JVPhoto
                  You didn't answer the question on what is a pretty typical scenario (that I've been in myself coming from places like CUN/MBJ/GCM/SDQ).

I don't know how old your kids are or what your eating habits are. But, even if you ate breakfast at a pretty standard time you'd really be waiting another 5-6 hours before eating again on the plane?
                  You know I would feed my kids. But it doesn't make this right. My twins are 2 and the older one is 4.

With or without kids any flight of 3:45 minutes should have a meal. People have tight connections on to another 3+ hour flight, where they won't get a meal either.

Something should be served.

It looks like 80% good with the upgrades but 20% bad. Let's see how this "upgrade" plays out this month.
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
                  Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
                  As I ask other poster earlier, why should this being an "international" domestic service flight make it any different?
                  Why does ORD-LHR get a better meal over ORD-HNL. Simple, International. An international flight of 3:45 shoild get a meal at all times.
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:59 am

I'm flying united first IAH to CLE, 1091 miles, departing 7:14pm. edit: I should also mention this is a United operated flight, not regional.

I'm confused by united meal offerings - from what I've read, 900+ miles ("soon" changing to 800+ miles? not sure of actual date) offers meal service on *most* United First tickets any time before 8:01pm.

So, obviously the keyword is *most* flights - and when I check my flight amenities, it says only a "snack" is offered. Is there a reason why this flight is excluded from a meal service or are the amenities listed on the fare, wrong? I'm mainly concerned because I'm flying all evening and it would be great to know if I should eat prior to flying or not.
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
                  Originally Posted by LASUA1K
                  Why does ORD-LHR get a better meal over ORD-HNL. Simple, International. An international flight of 3:45 shoild get a meal at all times.
                  I am going to say it is that one is route full of business and/or well heeled travelers while the other one is a leisure route.

Sholnay as of today that should be:
                  On short-and medium-haul flights, we offer a full meal service with two entree choices on most flights departing between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m.
                  On flights departing between 1:30 p.m. and 3:59 p.m. and all flights departing after 8:01 p.m., a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit are offered between traditional meal times.

Of course I am sure "most" is thrown in there in the event that things happen or issues arise as needed UA can backpeddle out of it.
                  As mentioned upthread there are times when the UA listing for Meals (and even aircraft) are not always the most indicative of things.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 1, 2015 at 5:11 pm Reason: previous posted photo deleted
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:04 am

There's a big difference between international premium and international leisure markets like the Caribbean and Mexico.
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:12 am

Sholnay as of today that should be:
                  On short-and medium-haul flights, we offer a full meal service with two entree choices on most flights departing between 5 a.m. and 8 p.m.
                  On flights departing between 1:30 p.m. and 3:59 p.m. and all flights departing after 8:01 p.m., a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit are offered between traditional meal times.

Of course I am sure "most" is thrown in there in the event that things happen or issues arise as needed UA can backpeddle out of it.
                  As mentioned upthread there are times when the UA listing for Meals (and even aircraft) are not always the most indicative of things.
                  Thanks for the quick reply (and the lovely picture above it! haha).

So are you saying I should expect a meal? I saw the united page had updated to reflect the new 800+ dining option - which changed from my flight last week which still stated 900+.
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:14 am
                  Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
                  Your answer to "Why is international different?" is because it is international??? -- Appears to be a non-answer.

Why is ORD-LHR different from ORD-HNL -- well, fares and passagner demographics could be a factor. ORD-LHR has higher fares and a greater percentage of business vs leisure travel.

My question is "why a X length flight is inherent more deserving of a meal just because of international vs domestic???" Especially when the rest of the service levels are identical. Have yet to hear a meaningful answer.
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
                  Originally Posted by sholnay
                  I'm flying united first IAH to CLE, 1091 miles, departing 7:14pm. edit: I should also mention this is a United operated flight, not regional.

I'm confused by united meal offerings - from what I've read, 900+ miles ("soon" changing to 800+ miles? not sure of actual date) offers meal service on *most* United First tickets any time before 8:01pm.

So, obviously the keyword is *most* flights - and when I check my flight amenities, it says only a "snack" is offered. Is there a reason why this flight is excluded from a meal service or are the amenities listed on the fare, wrong? I'm mainly concerned because I'm flying all evening and it would be great to know if I should eat prior to flying or not.
                  You should get a full dinner, based on the updated meal information on the website.

800–1,499 miles
                  (Approximately 2:20–4 hours)800–1,499 miles

The website does show a snack being served for this specific flight. Probably a glitch, or someone forgot to update the codes. I'd recommend you contact UA and let them know. Even if it's a small thing, they need to make sure their website is completely up to date regarding meal codes, so customers' expectations are set properly.
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:26 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
                  No - it's not that simple. There's a difference between International (big I) and international (little i), as in Cancun, Nassau, etc. The difference being price and distance, not some line on a map.

Random F/BF r.t airfare March 9 - 13

ORD-LHR $6807
                  ORD-HNL $1385 (wow - this is why there're no BF seats/service on these planes)
                  ORD-NAS $1064

NAS is considered North American service, and understandably so - and a leisure destination, at that. Not sure why it should be treated better than other N. American route of same length, especially considering the price, which is cheaper than most N. American routes of that length.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 1, 2015 at 11:52 am Reason: March, not Feb, dates
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
                  You should get a full dinner, based on the updated meal information on the website.

The website does show a snack being served for this specific flight. Probably a glitch, or someone forgot to update the codes. I'd recommend you contact UA and let them know. Even if it's a small thing, they need to make sure their website is completely up to date regarding meal codes, so customers' expectations are set properly.
                  I did call, but wait times were "at least" 30 minutes - that's at the priority desk too, so I just came here
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
                  Originally Posted by sholnay
                  I did call, but wait times were "at least" 30 minutes - that's at the priority desk too, so I just came here
                  Well I had a "premier desk" agent tell me when I was flying TXL-MUC-EWR that at TXL LH wouldn't be able to issue me a boarding pass for the TATL segment because it was UA.

I'm all for pointing out the issue to UA but won't a call just clog already congested airlines? Is that agent going to take the time to log the issue and elevate it up the ladder or just hang up after and take the next call?
                  It's not making or breaking your current flight so maybe just send a CS email and/or if you are Twitter tweet something to UA...they seem to be the most responsive/proactive people there.
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:49 am

Well I had a "premier desk" agent tell me when I was flying TXL-MUC-EWR that at TXL LH wouldn't be able to issue me a boarding pass for the TATL segment because it was UA.

I'm all for pointing out the issue to UA but won't a call just clog already congested airlines? Is that agent going to take the time to log the issue and elevate it up the ladder or just hang up after and take the next call?
                  It's not making or breaking your current flight so maybe just send a CS email and/or if you are Twitter tweet something to UA...they seem to be the most responsive/proactive people there.
                  Definitely agree - which is why I hung up when they said the wait was 30+ minutes - I figure there are some disruptions somewhere and a bunch of people are trying to get new flights - no point clogging up the lines for my trivial question. I forgot to try twitter on this one - they usually reply very quickly on there, thanks for the reminder.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.