Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Press Release dated October 14 2015.

Oct 25: PS menus get upgraded and look delicious
Nov 1: Domestic first flights between 1:30 and 3:59pm that are more than 3 hours get lunch
Nov 1: Hawaii and transcon redeyes get dinner service

Beginning Nov. 1, the airline will refresh lunch and dinner choices for United First and United Business customers on flights throughout the U.S. and Canada, and to Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America leisure markets.

United-operated flights that currently offer meal service will addnew dishes, like Spanish paella, mushroom risotto and seafood cioppino on shorter dinner flights.

Meal window expansion

The carrier will also expand meals to:

Lunch flights longer than three hours, departing between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m., which will offer options that include seasonal entree salads like a Napa salad with grilled salmon, goat cheese and fig and an arugula salad with Milanese-style chicken; and

Late-night flights between Hawaii and Houston, Chicago, New York/Newark and Washington, which will offer full dinner service with new entrees, such as hoisin short ribs with wasabi grits and stir-fried vegetables.

Late-night non-p.s. transcontinental flights and service between Hawaii and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver, as well as other late-departing flights of at least five hours and 20 minutes, will offer hearty sandwiches after takeoff, such as a pretzel burger with bleu cheese dressing, arugula and pickled onions, followed by warmed pastries before arrival.

United will continue to offer its p.s. made-to-order sundaes for dessert, followed by bake-on-board cookies prior to arrival.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As a follow-up to our recent news release about investments we’re making in dining onboard and in our United Clubs, we have a number of details to share about changes coming this weekend to every cabin on many of our North and Latin America flights, to offer you restaurant-quality meals. These latest upgrades come in addition to those we made October 25 to premium-cabin dining on our p.s. Premium Service.

For a more in-depth look at the investment we’re making in our food, UnitedAirtime.com now includes insightful foodie stories and a new video about why we want the food we serve to be exciting and interesting – something we’re working on in partnership with The Trotter Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring new generations of culinary minds.

Here are some highlights of menu changes on flights within the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, and leisure markets in Mexico; which will be reflected beginning November 2 on our united.com North America premium-cabin dining page and Choice Menu page:

p.s. Premium Service enhancements beginning October 25:

Premium-cabin dining changes beginning November 1:
              -New seasonal entrée salads with refreshed protein component served on the side
              -New side salads and transcon/Hawaii starter salads
              -The United Business cabin on three-cabin aircraft will offer all entrée choices served in the United First cabin
              -United Express two-cabin regional jet service will also offer new premium-cabin lunch, dinner and snacks, and expanded lunch meal service to flights longer than three hours
              Choice Menu Bistro on Board changes beginning November 1

We hope many of you have the opportunity to experience these new dining options and we look forward to hearing from you.

-UA Insider
                  Print Wikipost

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:41 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
                  Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-P659 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Flew LIH-SFO today. Choices were filet on salad, chicken and sausage jambalaya, or portabella ravioli. Had the jambalaya which was tasty. Took them 4 years but finally a change I like.

Dessert still a cookie, but a bit bigger, and served on a white plastic plate, not in a bag. It seems that Jeff must have discovered Party City to get the plates.

Definitely an upgrade over the prison beef they used to serve.

Snack basket had some changes. Fig Newtons, Smart Food popcorn, the usual Cape Cod chips, etc.
                  Old Feb 1, 2015, 11:07 pm
                  In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
                  Plates eh? Don't suppose there are bread plates now as well or is that asking too much?
                  Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:26 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
                  Originally Posted by channa
                  Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-P659 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Flew LIH-SFO today. Choices were filet on salad, chicken and sausage jambalaya, or portabella ravioli. Had the jambalaya which was tasty. Took them 4 years but finally a change I like.

Dessert still a cookie, but a bit bigger, and served on a white plastic plate, not in a bag. It seems that Jeff must have discovered Party City to get the plates.

Definitely an upgrade over the prison beef they used to serve.

Snack basket had some changes. Fig Newtons, Smart Food popcorn, the usual Cape Cod chips, etc.
                  Is the no-ice cream just a LIH thing? Have gotten it ex-HNL/OGG
                  Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: UA 1K
                  Looks like the 2125 HNL-EWR is now 'snack'. Does that mean that the food in F on this 4,962 mile trip is now: no meal, mid-flight packaged snacks, and a pre-arrival refreshment?
                  Old Feb 2, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
                  SFO to FLL on 2-1, >2500 mi segment. Food choices offered was some sort of strange chicken with buffalo macaroni and cheese or portobello mushroom ravioli. There was a beef dish that was already gone by the time the FA got to row. GS seat mate had to beg to get the beef option which I didn't hear the details of. Dessert was a lemon sorbet. Then later cookie was offered as plane was descending through 5000 feet on approach.

Service on the flight was really bad. Way more attention on messing with the DirecTV system and watching the Super Bowl than paying attention to passengers. Food choice based on status not followed.
                  Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
                  What does the snack consist of? Is it the regular snack basket of kettle chips, orange, banana, Toblerone?
                  And now I have to eat my words

So, I didn't have any extra time at my connection as I was hustling just to make the flight and when I got to the gate I asked the agent if they were serving a meal or not - she looked it up in the system and said "no, it's a snack only". I was basically last to board and the FA's were busy so I didn't ask (what can I say, I was hangry at this point and sad that I'd have to wait a few hours to get dinner). 30 minutes in to the flight I was asked if I wanted a chicken salad (don't remember the type, southwest maybe?) or Teriyaki Chicken and fried rice. I went for the Teriyaki Chicken. It came with a side of cabbage salad with some sesame dressing (I'm partial to cabbage so this was good - fresh, crisp, assorted with red, green cabbage, carrots, green onion, maybe some other stuff). The Teriyaki chicken was mixed with red/green bell peppers and was acceptable, nothing was overbearing, good portion size, good service overall.

And, for dessert, I can only guess they burned the cookies - I could smell them - but they never made it out of the galley! haha

The ultimate 800+ mile food test will be next week, when I fly DFW-ORD, which is 801 miles on a embraer 170/5...
                  Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
                  Typing this from UA1101 SEA to Iah 545am departure. 3 choices for breakfast as promised in F. ..fritatta, blitzes, or cereal. I ordered blitzes as my first choice. If someone can give me a quick instruction on how to easily post photos i will. I should know how but I don't.

They announced 12gs and 23 1Ks on this flight. My instant upgrade M fare saved me..i up fared yesterday when changing to this flight from ps..no chance of an upgrade on ps today. I'm excited to try the variety!

Fyi no Prosecco. The FA said she didn't know what it was. Oh well.

Here are some photos of my blintzes..one is pretty sloppy looking but shows the ham underneath.

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Feb 3, 2015 at 6:07 pm Reason: Fixed photos
                  Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:13 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
                  Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
                  Typing this from UA1101 SEA to Iah 545am departure. 3 choices for breakfast as promised in F. ..fritatta, blitzes, or cereal. I ordered blitzes as my first choice. If someone can give me a quick instruction on how to easily post photos i will. I should know how but I don't.

They announced 12gs and 23 1Ks on this flight. My instant upgrade M fare saved me..i up fared yesterday when changing to this flight from ps..no chance of an upgrade on ps today. I'm excited to try the variety!
                  Create an account here in the gallery and upload the photos from your computer. Then you can copy their link address and image link them to a post using the 'insert image' button in the post toolbar. It's the little icon with a pair of mountains and a yellow background.
                  Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
                  Originally Posted by demkr
                  Is the no-ice cream just a LIH thing? Have gotten it ex-HNL/OGG
                  LIH is downline catered from the mainline point of origin, IIRC. Dry ice keeps food chilled but not cold enough to keep the ice cream frozen. Ice cream can only be served on the next flight from the catering station.
                  Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
                  Originally Posted by mherdeg
                  Looks like the 2125 HNL-EWR is now 'snack'. Does that mean that the food in F on this 4,962 mile trip is now: no meal, mid-flight packaged snacks, and a pre-arrival refreshment?
                  Sighhhhhh
                  Old Feb 2, 2015, 8:57 am
                  A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
                  Originally Posted by mherdeg
                  No I would expect that to be the cold plate or possibly the cheeseburger (or whatever the post 2/1 equivalent of those plates are).
                  Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
                  Originally Posted by CMK10
                  Plates eh? Don't suppose there are bread plates now as well or is that asking too much?
                  There are indeed bread plates on my flight this morning.
                  Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:27 am
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
                  Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
                  There are indeed bread plates on my flight this morning.
                  Were they the plastic Party City ones or china?
                  Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
                  Originally Posted by EWR764
                  LIH is downline catered from the mainline point of origin, IIRC. Dry ice keeps food chilled but not cold enough to keep the ice cream frozen. Ice cream can only be served on the next flight from the catering station.
                  Dry ice should be more than cold enough to keep ice cream frozen. In fact, I think it is commonly used for exactly that purpose. I don't think dry ice can last for a very long flight. I would assume that is the issue.
                  Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
                  Originally Posted by eng3
                  Dry ice should be more than cold enough to keep ice cream frozen. In fact, I think it is commonly used for exactly that purpose. I don't think dry ice can last for a very long flight. I would assume that is the issue.
                  Well, yeah, that's the point. The ice cream service comes in dry ice to begin with, but it's not going to last long enough for dessert on another leg 8-10 hours after being packed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.