Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA Press Release dated October 14 2015.

Oct 25: PS menus get upgraded and look delicious
Nov 1: Domestic first flights between 1:30 and 3:59pm that are more than 3 hours get lunch
Nov 1: Hawaii and transcon redeyes get dinner service

Beginning Nov. 1, the airline will refresh lunch and dinner choices for United First and United Business customers on flights throughout the U.S. and Canada, and to Mexico, Caribbean and Latin America leisure markets.

United-operated flights that currently offer meal service will addnew dishes, like Spanish paella, mushroom risotto and seafood cioppino on shorter dinner flights.

Meal window expansion

The carrier will also expand meals to:

Lunch flights longer than three hours, departing between 1:30 and 3:59 p.m., which will offer options that include seasonal entree salads like a Napa salad with grilled salmon, goat cheese and fig and an arugula salad with Milanese-style chicken; and

Late-night flights between Hawaii and Houston, Chicago, New York/Newark and Washington, which will offer full dinner service with new entrees, such as hoisin short ribs with wasabi grits and stir-fried vegetables.

Late-night non-p.s. transcontinental flights and service between Hawaii and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Denver, as well as other late-departing flights of at least five hours and 20 minutes, will offer hearty sandwiches after takeoff, such as a pretzel burger with bleu cheese dressing, arugula and pickled onions, followed by warmed pastries before arrival.

United will continue to offer its p.s. made-to-order sundaes for dessert, followed by bake-on-board cookies prior to arrival.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi everyone,

As a follow-up to our recent news release about investments we’re making in dining onboard and in our United Clubs, we have a number of details to share about changes coming this weekend to every cabin on many of our North and Latin America flights, to offer you restaurant-quality meals. These latest upgrades come in addition to those we made October 25 to premium-cabin dining on our p.s. Premium Service.

For a more in-depth look at the investment we’re making in our food, UnitedAirtime.com now includes insightful foodie stories and a new video about why we want the food we serve to be exciting and interesting – something we’re working on in partnership with The Trotter Project, a nonprofit organization dedicated to educating and inspiring new generations of culinary minds.

Here are some highlights of menu changes on flights within the U.S., Canada, the Caribbean, and leisure markets in Mexico; which will be reflected beginning November 2 on our united.com North America premium-cabin dining page and Choice Menu page:

p.s. Premium Service enhancements beginning October 25:

Premium-cabin dining changes beginning November 1:
              -New seasonal entrée salads with refreshed protein component served on the side
              -New side salads and transcon/Hawaii starter salads
              -The United Business cabin on three-cabin aircraft will offer all entrée choices served in the United First cabin
              -United Express two-cabin regional jet service will also offer new premium-cabin lunch, dinner and snacks, and expanded lunch meal service to flights longer than three hours
              Choice Menu Bistro on Board changes beginning November 1

We hope many of you have the opportunity to experience these new dining options and we look forward to hearing from you.

-UA Insider
                  Print Wikipost

Starting Oct 25 '15 UA PS/HNL long-haul redeyes/mid-cons will feature BETTER options!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
                  Originally Posted by Ender4576
                  I'm still a bit confused on what to expect post 2/1 --- Flying EWR-HNL in BF at the end of February, does this mean we'll get breakfast and lunch, including a multi-course lunch? Sundae on this route? Any idea?
                  My guess is there will be a multi-course breakfast, starting with a fruit plate and yogurt with breakfast breads on a tray, followed by a separate course of breakfast entrees (egg, french toast/pancakes, cereal). Supposedly, transcon/Hawaii will go back to meals being plated in the galley on a larger, round dish instead of the square casserole. The egg entree may be a bit different from the norm, given the mandate to change things up a bit. Snack basket at mid-flight, hot sandwich pre-arrival.
                  Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Plat, SPG/MAR Gold, Nat'l EEE
                  Originally Posted by EWR764
                  My guess is there will be a multi-course breakfast, starting with a fruit plate and yogurt with breakfast breads on a tray, followed by a separate course of breakfast entrees (egg, french toast/pancakes, cereal). Supposedly, transcon/Hawaii will go back to meals being plated in the galley on a larger, round dish instead of the square casserole. The egg entree may be a bit different from the norm, given the mandate to change things up a bit. Snack basket at mid-flight, hot sandwich pre-arrival.
                  Thanks for the input, hope it's better than it has been in the past --- previous posts about this route have me thinking it might be best to bring my own food on-board. Fingers crossed for a trip report post 2/1!
                  Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
                  Originally Posted by Ender4576
                  Thanks for the input, hope it's better than it has been in the past --- previous posts about this route have me thinking it might be best to bring my own food on-board. Fingers crossed for a trip report post 2/1!
                  There will probably be more food than before (like today), but if in doubt, pack a lunch!
                  Old Jan 31, 2015, 8:54 am

Update on Reinvented North America Premium Cabin Dining

They posted more detail on the website...apparently ORD-BDL is an exception market like NYC.

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/content/travel/inflight/first/dining.aspx

Midcon...

Salad looks like it's not the old cucumber plus tomato
                  Sorbet for dessert

Non PS transcon...

A heartier "salatizer" to start
                  Main course that sounds like the kind on PS
                  Gelato with 2 toppings instead of full sundae
                  Cookie on arrival

PS
                  Same as today with sundae plus cookie on arrival

Doing 2 domestic segments today unfortunately so miss it by a day.

Looks like RIP to the bad for you but delicious cinnamon rolls. It's croissants and biscuits now.

Short haul bkfst...

Breakfast may include a Southwestern Houston Skillet entree with cage-free scrambled eggs, pepper jack cheese, sauteed pepper mix, sliced New Mexico sausage, potato gratin and fire-roasted pepper sauce served with fresh fruit and warmed biscuits or croissants.

Midcons...
                  Lunch may include a Lobster Macaroni and Cheese entree with a baked crumb topping and a side of broccoli rabe served with a spring mix salad featuring strawberries, oranges and feta cheese, a warmed nine-grain bread stick and a raspberry sorbet for dessert.
                  For non PS transcons...

Dinner may include a salad appetizer course with a mix of greens, julienne jicama, red and yellow bell pepper batonnets, curried chickpeas and couscous served with warmed multi-grain bread followed by a Tamale Stuffed Chicken entree featuring chicken wrapped in a corn husk with creamy corn sauce, roasted red and yellow tomatoes and yucca sticks, chocolate chip gelato for dessert with two toppings of your choice; and cookies baked on board are served as a pre-arrival snack.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Jan 31, 2015 at 9:05 am
                  Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
                  Next week I am flying LGA-IAH at 5:45am so if that isn't ripe and ready for the Southwestern Houston Skillet I don't know what is!
                  I then have IAH-SJD just before 11am so will be interesting to see what the leisure market lunch is.

Way home it is SJD-EWR.
                  Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:08 pm

No Meal On 3 1/2 Hour Flight?

I'm booked in F from NAS to ORD in March. The plane is listed as a 737-900. Under Meal it states "Refreshments".
                  Is that truly all I'll get in F? What happened to all the new meal options?
                  Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:18 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
                  Originally Posted by milemonkey
                  I'm booked in F from NAS to ORD in March. The plane is listed as a 737-900. Under Meal it states "Refreshments".
                  Is it a 2pm departure? I think most would have eaten lunch before then.

Here's the current policy for a 3 1/2 hour flight departing at 2pm-ish: "On flights departing between 1:30 p.m. and 3:59 p.m. and all flights departing after 8:01 p.m., a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit are offered between traditional meal times.

Here's from the new policy posted by UA Insider; "On flights departing between 1:30pm and 3:59pm, and all flights departing after 8:01pm, a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit will be offered."

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 31, 2015 at 12:28 pm
                  Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:23 pm
                  Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
                  Originally Posted by milemonkey
                  Originally Posted by UA Insider
                  ....800 to 1,499 miles: Full meal service including 2 entrée choices on most flights departing between 5:00am and 8:00pm. Lunch service will consist of a choice of a protein salad served with soup or premium sandwich paired with a side salad, and dinner service will consist of a choice between a hot entrée served with a side salad or a protein salad with hot soup. On flights departing between 1:30pm and 3:59pm, and all flights departing after 8:01pm, a selection of premium snacks and fresh fruit will be offered.

UA Insider
                  Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:24 pm
                  In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
                  Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
                  Is it a 2pm departure? I think most would have eaten lunch before then.
                  That's a cop-out. I imagine that the NAS Airport is not SFO with numerous excellent restaurants. Plus sometimes, especially when traveling, you don't have time to stop an eat. On lengthy flights, especially international ones, there is no excuse to not serve a meal.
                  Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:36 pm
                  Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
                  Originally Posted by CMK10
                  ... On lengthy flights, especially international ones, there is no excuse to not serve a meal.
                  You will not get any disagreement on the need for a more sustainable food service for a 3.5 hour flight from me, why would there be a distinction if it is sfo-dfw vs nas-ord? North American levels of service is the same as domestic for these markets.
                  Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:38 pm
                  FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
                  Originally Posted by CMK10
                  That's a cop-out. I imagine that the NAS Airport is not SFO with numerous excellent restaurants. Plus sometimes, especially when traveling, you don't have time to stop an eat. On lengthy flights, especially international ones, there is no excuse to not serve a meal.
                  Ha! I've travelled a lot internationally, and from far, far, far less desirable airports than NAS, and I wish those places had options even approaching Nassau's. I've always managed to find something to eat on such departure timings. Also, private aviation charters in the oil patch nether-regions often don't provide food and don't have buy-on-board.

I guess different experience is travel give different outlooks. Travelling in/out of remote regions doesn't make me pity people too easily when they're complaining because they can't find anything to eat because it's not like SFO.

As a matter of fact, why does it have to "like SFO" - OP is complaining about lack of a UA-quality meal, so all you have to match is UA's quality. There's nothing at NAS that qualifies? I find that extremely hard to believe.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 31, 2015 at 12:48 pm
                  Old Jan 31, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
                  I've never had a problem stopping by something like Bubba Gumps or Margaritaville leaving ex-CUN, MBJ, GCM so I don't see why NAS is any different.

Now if it is the same snack basket of banana, orange, Toblerone & kettle chips I would hope that gets gussied up a bit too. I see UA's reasoning behind the snack time in mid-afternoon but if everything else does get improved uniformly across the board the way they are saying then this cut ends up yielding a greater good.
                  Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:07 pm
                  In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
                  My thought is that you shouldn't have to stop by a restaurant. If you're paying for F, part of what that should include on a flight of any significant length regardless of time of departure is a meal. Wishful thinking I know.
                  Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:06 pm

The flight is actually 3 hours and 46 minutes. And just my luck is scheduled to depart at 3:35 pm so I missed dinner by 24 minutes.
                  Old Jan 31, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
                  Originally Posted by JVPhoto
                  I've never had a problem stopping by something like Bubba Gumps or Margaritaville leaving ex-CUN, MBJ, GCM so I don't see why NAS is any different.

Now if it is the same snack basket of banana, orange, Toblerone & kettle chips I would hope that gets gussied up a bit too. I see UA's reasoning behind the snack time in mid-afternoon but if everything else does get improved uniformly across the board the way they are saying then this cut ends up yielding a greater good.
                  So on my vacation, I need to pack up drag the kids and stop at Bubba Gumps before my paid F class flight of almost 4 hours. Not including the 2 hours needed to clear customs in both countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.