Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by everywhere_ex_lax
If I lived in NYC, this would be no problem having a different departure and return, but as I'll be driving up from PHL this creates a lot of difficulty for us.
Our flight from JFK/LGA departs too early to take the train up on the day of departure otherwise I'd simply do that and then cab it to LGA.
Can you not drive up 30 minutes earlier than you initially planned, park at JFK and then take a taxi or car service to LGA? That is a very inexpensive to the problem and doesn't involve UA having to do anything for you. If the PHL seats were open I'm sure UA would change the award for you no problem. But they're not and getting them is unlikely. You can try to ask UA to escalate it to the internal team which deals with partner issues to resolve the situation but there's a decent chance that gets you nowhere.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What about flying to/from EWR on UA? Even if there is no award space, UA can force it on its own metal. The differences on the micro-hop up to YYZ are miniscule.

As others note, you can also ask UA to ask AC to force space on any of the AC alternatives you have mentioned, including to/from PHL. That simply takes time and may be refused by AC. In that case, you can go the EWR route or go back to driving / taxi.

Fortunately, you have a ton of good options, none are particularly expensive or bothersome and many of them are likely doable. It is simply a question of figuring out which order to request them so that you are in a position to grab one as it comes by. Don't make the mistake of working something out and telling the agent you will call back.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I have a particularly annoying one and would appreciate some advice.

I have an award ticket SMF-LAX (X class), LAX-SYD (I class) and SYD-CHC (X class) with the last segment on NZ metal of course.

SYD-CHC has gone from a 9:30am departure to a 7:10am departure, now posting a 25 minute connection at SYD after the arrival of UA839. MCT at SYD I-I is 60 minutes. There is no other reasonable award space from SYD to CHC on the same date currently available even on a connecting via AKL/WLG, and of course nothing from US to CHC on NZ in I class. Worse, it is a day that UA does not operate SFO-AKL.

Any ideas about what I should do? I would love to avoid dropping SYD-CHC, and would also love to avoid flying a 4th segment. There are other NZ flights on that date, but no award space, and of course UA has no clout to force space open on NZ.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I have a particularly annoying one and would appreciate some advice.

I have an award ticket SMF-LAX (X class), LAX-SYD (I class) and SYD-CHC (X class) with the last segment on NZ metal of course.

SYD-CHC has gone from a 9:30am departure to a 7:10am departure, now posting a 25 minute connection at SYD after the arrival of UA839. MCT at SYD I-I is 60 minutes. There is no other reasonable award space from SYD to CHC on the same date currently available even on a connecting via AKL/WLG, and of course nothing from US to CHC on NZ in I class. Worse, it is a day that UA does not operate SFO-AKL.

Any ideas about what I should do? I would love to avoid dropping SYD-CHC, and would also love to avoid flying a 4th segment. There are other NZ flights on that date, but no award space, and of course UA has no clout to force space open on NZ.
Would flying the day before to SYD (asking UA to open up space if not available) be an option, and overnight in SYD to catch the flight to CHC?

How much is SYD-CHC on JetStar for a later flight that day? If it's reasonable, you may want to just drop SYD-CHC and book a flight on JetStar. Transfer may be a pain in SYD, but could be an option.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Why not fly as ticketed, and manage this once in SYD? NZ would need to place you on the next flight that day if you miss this one. Unless it's smack in the midst of peak travel, I can't imagine you'll not be placed on that one.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:05 pm
RNE

December 20, 2015: We have an award roundtrip to MXP in June. Outbound was CLE-IAD-ZRH-MXP. The ZHR-MXP connection is 95 minutes. That leg's schedule changed: now it departs Washington 15 minutes later but is still scheduled to arrive at the same time in Zurich. Thus the connection time did not change.

Nevertheless, I called United. I politely expressed concern that 95 minutes is very short for a connection to another airline at a foreign airport. (Of course, that shouldn't have mattered because my original booking had the same 95-minute connection.) Surprisingly, the rep agreed and moved us onto the EWR-MXP nonstop. Thus the outbound is now CLE-EWR-MXP. Thank you, United!

Moral of the story: There doesn't have to be a 2-hour change to alter a booking. It just takes guts.

RNE, gutsy.
So, today a change on the return leg occurred reducing the international connection at EWR to 40 minutes. I used this squeaker as justification to call UA and cajole them into opening up award space on the MXP-EWR nonstop. Thus, my original 6-segment, itinerary (which, as noted above, I previously reduced to 5) is now four segments. Can't do any better than that, based in CLE. ^

RNE, opining that schedule changes can be your friend.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gusd
Would flying the day before to SYD (asking UA to open up space if not available) be an option, and overnight in SYD to catch the flight to CHC?

How much is SYD-CHC on JetStar for a later flight that day? If it's reasonable, you may want to just drop SYD-CHC and book a flight on JetStar. Transfer may be a pain in SYD, but could be an option.
I've already prepaid my campervan in NZ so I don't want to arrive late. If I ask to be reaccomodated the day before I'll ask to be put on SFO-AKL to avoid the TT flight. Our dates are somewhat flexible but I'd rather travel on the original date of departure.

SYD-CHC is $147. But x2 for two pax. NZ and EK cheaper than Jetstar as of today. I don't really feel like I should have to eat $300 with so many TT options out there.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by RNE
RNE, opining that schedule changes can be your friend.
I don't think I've ever had a schedule change that didn't go my way in the end. This weekend, I got my EWR-PDX reservation kicked back by 45 minutes, and my PDX-EWR return with a connection in SFO down to 30 minutes. Got the agent to route me EWR-IAD-PDX - not ideal, but it now gets me to Portland at 8:30pm instead of nearly 11. I then changed return to PDX-DEN-EWR, which gets me home 2 hours earlier as well.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacharya
Why not fly as ticketed, and manage this once in SYD? NZ would need to place you on the next flight that day if you miss this one. Unless it's smack in the midst of peak travel, I can't imagine you'll not be placed on that one.
interesting idea. NZ only has one non-stop flight per day, plus seemlingly one option via WLG that gets us to CHC at a reasonable time. there is also an option with a very long connection in AKL. so it seems a little riskier than i want to be, if i was on a revenue ticket i would do it and just tell them they have to put me on EK if i missed the connection.

i don't really want to be separated from my baggage either, since we are jumping in a campervan on arrival and heading out into the countryside. i think i will let this stew for awhile and if nothing good comes of it by about 30 days before departure, ask them to force space to put us on SMF-SFO-AKL-CHC on either the previous or subsequent day, or parlay this into a free change if NZ opens up some space on one of their long hauls in I.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Affected by a major schedule change (1,5 H+) that makes my layover in LAX too short to get in town and see something. LAS LAX MEX.

What can I do?:

1. ask for a LAS IAH MEX routing ?
2. ask for a LAS IAH my actual destination in mexico routing?Would that even work?

thanks
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Affected by a major schedule change (1,5 H+) that makes my layover in LAX too short to get in town and see something. LAS LAX MEX.

What can I do?:

2. ask for a LAS IAH my actual destination in mexico routing?Would that even work?

thanks
You can easily change your routing after a sked change.

I don't think you can change your destination to another city unless there is no way to get to your booked destination (which there appears to be).

You could always ask to change destinations, and if this works, please let us know.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flymexico2010

What can I do?:

thanks
are you saying that you are not headed to MEX but some other city served by UA in Mexico?

i've successfully used schedule changes to switch, say, RDU/GSO/CLT arrivals and depatures, but i've never been gutsy enough to try, say a switch from ATL to CLT.

option 1 (different routing to MEX) is certainly permissible in this situation.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I don't know where they get these people, but I had a SFO-LAX-YYC (LAX-YYC is UA-coded, AC-operated). Schedule change to SFO-LAX to make the LAX connection under the MCT.

First agent saw the illegal connection, and I proposed SFO-YYC nonstop. He said he could waive the change fee, but there would be a fare difference. I asked him why there would be a fare difference when UA if giving me an illegal connection, and he said my fare bucket wasn't available. I then asked what options he had to remediate this, and he offered a refund. Told him to leave it as is and hung up.

I wanted to file a DOT complaint to get that agent retrained (and then someone at UA would fix it for me without having to make another call), but I recently filed a DOT against UA on something else, so I let them have a second chance.

Second agent argued the connection was fine. I had to walk her thru how to read an MCT for that flight number pair. Once she was able to acknowledge the connection was invalid, she was happy to give me the SFO-YYC nonstop pending supervisor approval, which they approved.

Two calls totaling over 30 minutes for something that should be real simple.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Looks like they changed the wording on schedule change notices when viewing reservations. One of mine now reads:

! For Flight UA719 to Los Angeles, CA, US (LAX), your departure time has changed to 5:15 PM, your destination time has changed to 7:40 PM, your meal has changed to Dinner

If a change will cause a misconnect on your flights, you may change that segment with no change fee
Pretty sure my meal was always dinner. It was originally departing ~5:30 PM
Old Feb 20, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I really wish they included the old schedule when indicating that there's a change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.