Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2022, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeffreier
Award ticket, ANA-UA-ET, ANA rescheduled and will miss connection at NRT
called twice for rebooking
both agents claim that they can't reroute me on IAH-EZE UA direct and I have to follow original route which is IAH-GRU (UA) followed by GRU-EZE (ET)
HUGA and hope third time is a charm?
Whose ticket? Is this a day-of-departure issue, or a schedule change in advance?

This "original partners only" stuff has cropped up fairly recently.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA G, SQ G,UA S, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jsloan
Whose ticket? Is this a day-of-departure issue, or a schedule change in advance?

This "original partners only" stuff has cropped up fairly recently.
UA 016 stock, award tkt NH, UA, ET metal, for flights in early Feb
Old Dec 28, 2022, 8:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It would be helpful to understand the entire route. How are you getting to NRT? WHo made the change to create NRT misconnect?
Then how are you getting to IAH?

All of this on one ticket?
Old Dec 28, 2022, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK. If the connection is actually below Minimum Connection Time at NRT, UA has little choice -- they have to rebook you or refund you, and they will generally choose to rebook you when they can do so. If the connection is tight but not actually invalid, agents can be a little more prickly.

Generally, a competent agent should be able to put you onto anything that appears on a search from your origin to your destination. Now, since it seems that we're talking at least four flights here -- XXX-NRT-IAH-GRU-EZE -- if you did anything tricky to try to book it, such as use multi-city search, that may be throwing a wrench into things. Otherwise, if you search XXX-EZE, you should be able to be re-accommodated onto any flight that comes up, provided there's award availability (regardless of the number of miles).

I have heard the "original partners" thing before -- not personally, but I've seen reports here -- and it's fairly new. In this case, the answer might be "I'd be happy to take the same carriers if you can find an alternative flight on the same day." (Assuming that's true, anyway). Since you're looking at a plethora of once-daily flights here, that doesn't seem likely.

Now, if there's no award availability at the moment on XXX-EZE, that's when you could be in trouble, as changing carriers definitely requires reissuing the ticket and the agent may be trying to avoid that as it sometimes leads to poor results (lost reservations, basically).
Old Dec 28, 2022, 9:13 pm

OK. If the connection is actually below Minimum Connection Time at NRT, UA has little choice -- they have to rebook you or refund you, and they will generally choose to rebook you when they can do so. If the connection is tight but not actually invalid, agents can be a little more prickly.

Generally, a competent agent should be able to put you onto anything that appears on a search from your origin to your destination. Now, since it seems that we're talking at least four flights here -- XXX-NRT-IAH-GRU-EZE -- if you did anything tricky to try to book it, such as use multi-city search, that may be throwing a wrench into things. Otherwise, if you search XXX-EZE, you should be able to be re-accommodated onto any flight that comes up, provided there's award availability (regardless of the number of miles).

I have heard the "original partners" thing before -- not personally, but I've seen reports here -- and it's fairly new. In this case, the answer might be "I'd be happy to take the same carriers if you can find an alternative flight on the same day." (Assuming that's true, anyway). Since you're looking at a plethora of once-daily flights here, that doesn't seem likely.

Now, if there's no award availability at the moment on XXX-EZE, that's when you could be in trouble, as changing carriers definitely requires reissuing the ticket and the agent may be trying to avoid that as it sometimes leads to poor results (lost reservations, basically).
It's not MCT issue.
CKG to HND on NH
HND-ORD-GRU on UA
GRU-EZE on ET
NH cancelled daytime flight and system rebook to evening departure (arrive +1), which will miss the evening HND-ORD flight
1st attempt, ask to rebook CGK-SIN-SFO-IAH-EZE (SQ-UA-UA-UA)-->violate the original ticketing partner rule because no NH/ET and adding SQ
2nd attempt, ask to rebook on CKG-HND/NRT-IAH-EZE (NH-UA-UA), similar response from a different agent, dropping ET
Old Dec 28, 2022, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not MCT issue.
CKG to HND on NH
HND-ORD-GRU on UA
GRU-EZE on ET
NH cancelled daytime flight and system rebook to evening departure (arrive +1), which will miss the evening HND-ORD flight
1st attempt, ask to rebook CGK-SIN-SFO-IAH-EZE (SQ-UA-UA-UA)-->violate the original ticketing partner rule because no NH/ET and adding SQ
2nd attempt, ask to rebook on CKG-HND/NRT-IAH-EZE (NH-UA-UA), similar response from a different agent, dropping ET
Do either of those options show up when searching CKG-EZE?

The second one, in particular, seems ridiculous — the UA agent is essentially insisting that UA should have to write ET a check.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 10:19 pm

Do either of those options show up when searching CKG-EZE?

The second one, in particular, seems ridiculous — the UA agent is essentially insisting that UA should have to write ET a check.
not the second one, but first one SQ-UA is bookable on UA website
Old Dec 28, 2022, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not the second one, but first one SQ-UA is bookable on UA website
I’d ask again about the first one, then. Along the lines of “I have a problem with an existing reservation,” then “I was really hoping to be able to travel on the same day I booked,” then if the agent doesn’t come up with anything, “I see this one on the website…”
Old Dec 29, 2022, 1:22 pm

I’d ask again about the first one, then. Along the lines of “I have a problem with an existing reservation,” then “I was really hoping to be able to travel on the same day I booked,” then if the agent doesn’t come up with anything, “I see this one on the website…”
Update:
tried chat today, no way of rebooking, offered refund
then called again, a very seasoned agent booked me on CGK-SIN-SFO-IAH-EZE (SQ-UA-UA-UA), no Qs asked, no BS refund, on hold for 10 min for ticketing and done
Again YMMV/HUCA
Old Dec 30, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Update:
tried chat today, no way of rebooking, offered refund
then called again, a very seasoned agent booked me on CGK-SIN-SFO-IAH-EZE (SQ-UA-UA-UA), no Qs asked, no BS refund, on hold for 10 min for ticketing and done
Again YMMV/HUCA
I find that chat agents are relatively powerless for schedule change rebookings more complex than a simple revenue ticket not involving partners. But glad that you were able to get a satisfactory resolution, even if it took several tries.
Old Nov 1, 2023, 11:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 24, 2023 at 11:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.