Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sfolawyer
.... Is seeking a refund too cheeky to even ask???
70 minutes change is borderline but explaining the later arrival as problem might get.

.... (The new ticket I'd buy is to a different East Coast city, and I sense that asking directly to change my current tik to my preferred new route with a different city would not be well received.)...
Agree that is stretch.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
So, I have a one-way West to East Coast flight in the fall that has been changed to leave and arrive 70 minutes later. It's actually significant to me because I will be arriving at 10:25 pm rather than 9:15 pm; my arrival was already on the late side because based on experience I don't like arriving late on a trip to the East Coast. It's hard to settle down and attempt to get on East Coast time, and the effects end up lasting the whole trip (for me anyway).

I have an alternative travel plan that will ultimately take me to the same place, and I'd like to simply get a refund to implement it. (The new ticket I'd buy is to a different East Coast city, and I sense that asking directly to change my current tik to my preferred new route with a different city would not be well received.)

Is seeking a refund too cheeky to even ask???
Ask for a waiver of the change fee to the new routing.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Finally the desired schedule change for the x-mas return on 1/2/17. Did not book the straight connection in ORD because I could confirm the upgrade on the later flight right away. That flight is gone now and we were auto-rebooked on the earlier flight which went from F2 to F0 mind you that is for JANUARY 2017. Well, I am pleased
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
I too noticed the new look. I had a change to DFW that had me arriving 1 hour later (6:00 pm rather than 5:00 pm) Called in and was routed to an earlier flight of my choosing (787 via IAH). I did my research ahead of calling and knew the flights I wanted.. Agent asked for me to hold a second as she gets someone to "overbook" the ticketing class. On the phone for less than 3 minutes total. Great agent and a change I like.. Thanks UA..
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
70 minutes change is borderline but explaining the later arrival as problem might get.

Agree that is stretch.
I haven't had any trouble getting switched between any of the SoCal airports--SAN/SNA/LAX--for schedule changes of just over an hour, nor between PHX/TUS.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by physioprof
I haven't had any trouble getting switched between any of the SoCal airports--SAN/SNA/LAX--for schedule changes of just over an hour, nor between PHX/TUS.
I sensed the OP was looking for a significant destination change, not a switch to an airport serving adjacent markets. But that may or may not have been a proper assumption on my case.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
I sensed the OP was looking for a significant destination change, not a switch to an airport serving adjacent markets. But that may or may not have been a proper assumption on my case.
True that OP never said whether EWR/PHL or BOS/FLL were the scale of destination change being sought.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Doubt it... I once had a schedule change that was the difference between an arrival in time to get the last BART out of SFO and getting in after it had shut. Got a firm "no" in response to my request to shift it.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
Doubt it... I once had a schedule change that was the difference between an arrival in time to get the last BART out of SFO and getting in after it had shut. Got a firm "no" in response to my request to shift it.
If you HUACA you probably can get the response you are looking for. I've had schedule changes done for far less - once got a DEN-EWR flight moved back a couple hours when they moved it forward by ~45 minutes. Switched an EWR-PDX flight to EWR-IAD-PDX when the EWR-PDX flight got scheduled for even later.

YMMV, but I have never outright failed to have a flight changed to what I would prefer when something different gets put in. The only time I don't really try is when it's a de minimus amount of time (which to me is sub-30 minutes), and I really will only do it IF there is something that would materially be better for me.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Schedule change for 4 of 5 passengers. Free cancel for 5th?

I have an award ticket MFR-SFO-MUC for my family. My mother is booked just on the SFO-MUC leg, also an award ticket.

A schedule change has moved the MFR-SFO departure 4 hours earlier, which does not work for us. I know I can get those 4 tickets refunded, but what about the 5th passenger who is only booked SFO-MUC, which has not changed? Different confirmation numbers, of course.

Has anyone had success getting a free cancel and mileage refund for all passengers in this sort of situation?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37

YMMV, but I have never outright failed to have a flight changed to what I would prefer when something different gets put in. The only time I don't really try is when it's a de minimus amount of time (which to me is sub-30 minutes), and I really will only do it IF there is something that would materially be better for me.
I just changed a HNL-LAX-SFO-SMF on 737s and a CR2 itinerary to HNL-SFO-SMF on a 777 and CR2. The sked change timing was only 10 minutes, but the HNL-LAX aircraft switched from a 757 with flat beds in front to a 737. When I explained this to the agent, she was willing to switch me to the 777 to SFO, which has the barco-loungers in front, as this was the closest seating type to what I had originally booked.

She did have to notate the file to explain why I was requesting the change, but claimed that such a seating change was an acceptable reason to rebook the itinerary. This was actually flyer friendly. ^
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PDXpress
I have an award ticket MFR-SFO-MUC for my family. My mother is booked just on the SFO-MUC leg, also an award ticket.

A schedule change has moved the MFR-SFO departure 4 hours earlier, which does not work for us. I know I can get those 4 tickets refunded, but what about the 5th passenger who is only booked SFO-MUC, which has not changed? Different confirmation numbers, of course.

Has anyone had success getting a free cancel and mileage refund for all passengers in this sort of situation?
you can probably get this to work but you might have to push the issue or escalate to a supervisor. i would simply explain that you are traveling as a party from different destinations and the sched change for part of the group makes the travel not feasible for all.

it may help your cause/argument if all the 5 tickets are clearly booked out of the same account(s)
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:29 am

My SMF-SFO-YVR booking moved >2 hours later in this weekend's sked changes, which would have put Mrs. Transportprof and I in baggage claim @YVR for midnight on New Year's Eve.

When I pointed this out to the agent, it was no trouble to move the booking one day forward, and return home at a civilized hour on New Year's Day. ^

Adaptive rebooking on sked changes is one area where United really outshines its competitors. I had a sked change on Delta of 15 minutes and was basically told that it was too little to justify any change to the itinerary. I know where I'll be aiming for top tier FF status in 2018 (2017 is already in the bag).
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by transportprof

Adaptive rebooking on sked changes is one area where United really outshines its competitors. I had a sked change on Delta of 15 minutes and was basically told that it was too little to justify any change to the itinerary. I know where I'll be aiming for top tier FF status in 2018 (2017 is already in the bag).
To be fair, UA has a problem with 15 minute schedule changes as well.

Recently on Delta with a schedule change on an award ticket not holding any status anymore on Delta I was offered a different near-by airport where they opened up space on their metal. I was very impressed.

My schedule changes this weekend are of the type that you cannot accept yourself and have to call in hope UA will fix this well-known problem w/ you have upgrades waitlisted soon.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2016 at 4:36 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 24, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
To be fair, UA has a problem with 15 minute schedule changes as well.

Recently on Delta with a schedule change on an award ticket not holding any status anymore on Delta I was offered a different near-by airport where they opened up space on their metal. I was very impressed.
I'm glad your sked change with Delta worked out, but mine didn't. 15 minutes change is different when the departure moves from 6 a.m. to 5:45 a.m. than when it's 11 a.m. to 10:45 am, for example. Trans-border departures @YVR are less predictable because of all the steps one has to go through - and moving before 6 a.m. just adds to the stress because this means I have to begin the process before US border guards are on duty, otherwise there could be a big mob of pax ahead of me.

My point for this thread is that United seems quite open to taking contextual factors into account. I had a 10 minute sked change last week that they rebooked once I explained that I had booked the itinerary because it featured a 757 with flat beds in front, and I would prefer a 777 with the Hawaiian barco-loungers as an alternative to the 737 that I'd been auto-rebooked on. They got it, and I got a good alternative to my original purchase.

United does many things that annoy me, but sked changes are not one of them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.