FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:46 am
gusd

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I have a particularly annoying one and would appreciate some advice.

I have an award ticket SMF-LAX (X class), LAX-SYD (I class) and SYD-CHC (X class) with the last segment on NZ metal of course.

SYD-CHC has gone from a 9:30am departure to a 7:10am departure, now posting a 25 minute connection at SYD after the arrival of UA839. MCT at SYD I-I is 60 minutes. There is no other reasonable award space from SYD to CHC on the same date currently available even on a connecting via AKL/WLG, and of course nothing from US to CHC on NZ in I class. Worse, it is a day that UA does not operate SFO-AKL.

Any ideas about what I should do? I would love to avoid dropping SYD-CHC, and would also love to avoid flying a 4th segment. There are other NZ flights on that date, but no award space, and of course UA has no clout to force space open on NZ.
Would flying the day before to SYD (asking UA to open up space if not available) be an option, and overnight in SYD to catch the flight to CHC?

How much is SYD-CHC on JetStar for a later flight that day? If it's reasonable, you may want to just drop SYD-CHC and book a flight on JetStar. Transfer may be a pain in SYD, but could be an option.