Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by davidviolin
Does anyone know what the rules are for this? How much can they change the schedule without offering refund?
They will often claim it's two hours, but last time I checked, there is no longer a published rule in the CoC, so nobody can really say.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:33 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
They will often claim it's two hours, but last time I checked, there is no longer a published rule in the CoC, so nobody can really say.
Originally Posted by davidviolin
Does anyone know what the rules are for this?
To build on mahasamatman's learned reply, I've forced better routings and obtained refunds for schedule changes of far less than two hours. Any change is fair game. It helps that I am in CAK/CLE, where there are less alternative options, but it can be done anywhere (sometimes). How do you know if you can do it? You simply have to try. Keep your expectations in check. Good luck.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I've been told 4 hours multiple times on the phone previously. That said, whenever I have HUACA, I will almost always get a friendlier agent who makes the change with zero questions asked.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
Decided to be pro-active on this one and called the UA Premier line today to see what is going on. Lady I talked to had no clue but did offer to move us to another flight BUT not the code share AC non-stop.....She got snippy, I got fed up, she suggested I complain to the We Don't Care folks and blew me off. Talked to my wife about it and we decided the last thing we want to do is get stuck in middle coach seats for 6 hours so we had them switch us to a 6am to ORD with a 90 minute connect on to YVR all on UA metal. That is done, second lady I talked with was much more helpful and also had no idea why the seats were not yet released but F is booked full at 8 pax. Yes, these are changes we love, these are the changes that have us looking elsewhere now. Air NZ was great, hopefully AA/BA will be great going to Europe in Sept.....
Old Mar 13, 2016, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by gene2632
Decided to be pro-active on this one and called the UA Premier line today to see what is going on. Lady I talked to had no clue but did offer to move us to another flight BUT not the code share AC non-stop.....She got snippy, I got fed up, she suggested I complain to the We Don't Care folks and blew me off. Talked to my wife about it and we decided the last thing we want to do is get stuck in middle coach seats for 6 hours so we had them switch us to a 6am to ORD with a 90 minute connect on to YVR all on UA metal. That is done, second lady I talked with was much more helpful and also had no idea why the seats were not yet released but F is booked full at 8 pax. Yes, these are changes we love, these are the changes that have us looking elsewhere now. Air NZ was great, hopefully AA/BA will be great going to Europe in Sept.....
If your flight is not imminent, I would have waited to call until at least tomorrow or Tuesday. Sometimes those changes are short lived, and a 738 might reappear on that route.

Depending on flight timing, connecting in SEA with AC may have been valid in this case. Also I assume you rechecked the SFO schedule.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier
The flight is not until July and while I could have waited I really don't have any faith in UA any more and I wanted to be safe on this one. There is a UA/AC code share non-stop each day in the evening and I offered to switch to that and even go a day early but they said it has to be UA metal to make the switch. I did check the flights via SFO, all of the connect times were long, the day becomes a very long travel day. This way we will get to YVR in the AM and have some time to look around for the day before we board our cruise the next day. There was a time I would have waited and hoped, now I feel the need to be pro-active and do what I can to fix it quickly.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Noticed that an IAH-SJC flight I had booked at the end of a European itinerary is no longer there. Probably part of the reduction in service from IAH. However, I'm disappointed that they are further reducing service to SJC! Now, they've re-routed me (MUC-IAH-DEN-SJC) with a 38 minute connection in DEN! I'm not accepting and going to see if they can route me to SFO, instead.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ok2uselane
Noticed that an IAH-SJC flight I had booked at the end of a European itinerary is no longer there. Probably part of the reduction in service from IAH. However, I'm disappointed that they are further reducing service to SJC! Now, they've re-routed me (MUC-IAH-DEN-SJC) with a 38 minute connection in DEN! I'm not accepting and going to see if they can route me to SFO, instead.
You should see if they'll route you MUC-FRA-SJC on LH (UA Codeshare)
Old Mar 15, 2016, 11:41 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Surprised to find in my e-mail inbox a notification for schedule change.

Bad news #1: the 777 scheduled on outbound p.s. route has been downguaged/reguaged to p.s. 757.

Good news #1: The return connection, instead of going through ORD, is now rerouted onto a p.s. flight. ^

Bad news #2: The auto-rebook put us on flights with only 35 minutes connection time in SFO.

Call #1: The agent had to do a lot of lookup, and promptly served up the following excuses why she could not make any changes:
  • The award space is no longer available.
  • Is it OK for you to sit in economy for the first segment?
  • 35 minutes is a legal connection.
  • The airline reserves the right to make changes to the schedule.

HUACA. Had no problem requesting changes on call #2.

Why oh why is there still service inconsistency, even on the 1K line?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Why oh why is there still service inconsistency, even on the 1K line?
Because there are no such things as dedicated 1K agents anymore. There is only a blend of agents qualified to answer the premiere line...with wildly differing levels of competence.

And there are some reports on FT of bad encounters on the GS line as well.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
You should see if they'll route you MUC-FRA-SJC on LH (UA Codeshare)
Good idea! But, it doesn't operate on the day I'm flying.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
There were some schedule changes for my flights in the middle/late May period over the weekend. One of the flights originated from PHL to SFO. The later departing time causes misconnection for SFO-SYD flight (28 mins connection time; instead of 50+ min before). United had to add another connection city (PHL-ORD-SFO), instead of PHL-SFO.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: United, Turkish
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I've been told 4 hours multiple times on the phone previously. That said, whenever I have HUACA, I will almost always get a friendlier agent who makes the change with zero questions asked.
I have routinely had this issue on P fares. Agent tries to claim that there has to be a P fare available. I point out that the Class of service is First. Some even try to claim that P fares are not first class fares.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I have a particularly annoying one and would appreciate some advice.

I have an award ticket SMF-LAX (X class), LAX-SYD (I class) and SYD-CHC (X class) with the last segment on NZ metal of course.

SYD-CHC has gone from a 9:30am departure to a 7:10am departure, now posting a 25 minute connection at SYD after the arrival of UA839. MCT at SYD I-I is 60 minutes. There is no other reasonable award space from SYD to CHC on the same date currently available even on a connecting via AKL/WLG, and of course nothing from US to CHC on NZ in I class. Worse, it is a day that UA does not operate SFO-AKL.

Any ideas about what I should do? I would love to avoid dropping SYD-CHC, and would also love to avoid flying a 4th segment. There are other NZ flights on that date, but no award space, and of course UA has no clout to force space open on NZ.

This has changed yet again, and so has my situation. Originally this was ticketed for two pax as a one way, and I haven't made any changes in response to the first sked change yet (still a 25m connection in SYD which violates MCT). Now SMF-LAX also departs 90 minutes earlier, no change in carrier.

I want to cancel out one of the passengers and get a refund of miles. With no status I'd love to do this for free leveraging the schedule change. For the other passenger I want to request SMF-SFO-AKL-CHC departing the day before.

Chances that UA accepts this proposal? It appears that the website might allow me to split the PNR before making any calls, as the changes appear to maybe have autoaccepted. I guess splitting might increase my chances as I could deal w/ two separate agents.

Of course, maybe I should wait longer and try to see if NZ inventory opens up...I am tracking all NZ options ex-YVR/SFO/LAX/HNL/NRT with EF... Travel isn't until Sept 2016...
Old Mar 23, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA, CX, BR
First time ever, got an email from UA informing me of a schedule change. 6 minutes one way and 5 minutes the other. But perhaps I'm now on some kind of approved list!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.