Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
What do people think about the new Australian Star Alliance credit card? It costs AUD450/year (currently USD290) and with AUD60,000 (currently USD39,000) of spending grants Gold status.

Presidential Plus cards earn 500 PQPs for every $12k in spend, so that means that to earn Gold would take either 24 Flights + 8,000 PQPs or 10,000 PQPs. At 500 PQPs per $12k in spend, that would imply spending at least 8000/500=16*$12,000 or $192,000 to get Gold with 24 flights or 20*$12k=$240k to get Gold with no flights. Makes the returns from the PP card look less favorable.
Old Nov 9, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I have Presidential Plus and some FPQPs I need to burn. I only earned 13 PQFs this year. Do I need 9000 or 10000 PQPs to reach Platinum? Does the PQF exemption only apply new CC-earned PQPs and 1K or to Flex and lower status?
Old Nov 9, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I have Presidential Plus and some FPQPs I need to burn. I only earned 13 PQFs this year. Do I need 9000 or 10000 PQPs to reach Platinum? Does the PQF exemption only apply new CC-earned PQPs and 1K or to Flex and lower status?
10,000. 24 PQFs required for only 9,000 PQPs.
PQF exemption allows CC generated PQPs to count toward 1K and extra Plus Points (unlike those generated by other CCs). There is no PQF requirement for use of CCPQPs for lower status levels.
All Presidential Plus generated PQPs are used for all Premier status levels up to the 10K cap. Flex are only good to Platinum and are not used for 1K or additional Plus Points.
Say Vandelay likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2022, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
PQP benefit not showing?

When I go into my Chase PP account and look at benefits, I don't see any mention of PQP earning as a benefit.
I'm Lifetime UC so I only pay $100 and I think this is the only benefit that stands out from some of the other cards that are still available for new members.
What am I missing?
Old Nov 19, 2022, 7:19 pm

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by elitefreak
When I go into my Chase PP account and look at benefits, I don't see any mention of PQP earning as a benefit.
I'm Lifetime UC so I only pay $100 and I think this is the only benefit that stands out from some of the other cards that are still available for new members.
What am I missing?
Although it may be missing from the Chase website as a listed benefit, I received my latest 500 PQP based on Chase PP card spending a couple weeks ago, so that benefit seems to still be as available as ever to active PP cardholders.

I see Chase raised the maximum number of PQP that can be earned annually on the Infinite card to 8,000 starting 2023, but to me, the PP card is still a far better deal and I intend to keep mine. I'm sure United and Chase would love to retire it, but they would need to offer an incredible incentive for me to even consider switching to another MP credit card.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 5:10 pm

The wiki says this but I thought FPQM were no more . . . ?

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)

Originally Posted by auandagbug
Although it may be missing from the Chase website as a listed benefit, I received my latest 500 PQP based on Chase PP card spending a couple weeks ago, so that benefit seems to still be as available as ever to active PP cardholders.
So last year I see this:

12/23/21
Activity details
PQP Earn Presidential Plus Card
pqp500

But this year I have spent over $11K on the PP and there are no PQP deposits. Something doesn't seem right.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 21, 2022 at 11:16 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
So last year I see this:

12/23/21
Activity details
PQP Earn Presidential Plus Card
pqp500

But this year I have spent over $11K on the PP and there are no PQP deposits. Something doesn't seem right.
You get 500 PQP for every $12K, so if you haven’t reached $12K yet, no deposits
elitefreak and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by gusd
You get 500 PQP for every $12K, so if you haven’t reached $12K yet, no deposits
Forgive my naivety, but who is responsible for updating the wiki?
Old Nov 21, 2022, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
You and everyone else on FT who've been on for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

David
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 11:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The header for each wiki is
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by DELee
You and everyone else on FT who've been on for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

David
Thanks; did not know this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
So I hit my annual renewal fee... and reading up, I'm not really seeing much positive difference with the Presidential Plus business card over the club infinite business card (or personal card for that matter), given that I'm almost certainly not going to exceed 8,000 PQP of credit card spend in a year and I'm not going to qualify for 1K without making the flight minimum anyway.

Any other reason to keep the PP card that I'm missing?

I'm not flying much until February, so probably drop the card, then get one of the Infinite club cards and get the miles spending bonus.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by raehl311
So I hit my annual renewal fee... and reading up, I'm not really seeing much positive difference with the Presidential Plus business card over the club infinite business card (or personal card for that matter), given that I'm almost certainly not going to exceed 8,000 PQP of credit card spend in a year and I'm not going to qualify for 1K without making the flight minimum anyway.

Any other reason to keep the PP card that I'm missing?

I'm not flying much until February, so probably drop the card, then get one of the Infinite club cards and get the miles spending bonus.
What does the Club Infinite card offer that the PP card does not?
jcturnbull likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2022, 11:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
What does the Club Infinite card offer that the PP card does not?

Does the PresPlus offer GE credit or 25% in-flight purchase discount?

Need to compare the mileage earn, different structure. Not a PresdidentPlus advantage
But the PresPlus has advantages in earning 1K

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 28, 2022 at 11:59 pm Reason: mileage earning
Old Nov 29, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
\Does the PresPlus offer GE credit or 25% in-flight purchase discount?
No / yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.