Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, .... (impact of 2019 & 2020 MP changes)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2022, 8:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
What does the Club Infinite card offer that the PP card does not?
On the business side, they're both 2x for United spend, then the Presidential plus is 2x dining, gas, and office supply, while Club Business is 1.5x on everything.

On the personal side, the Club Infinite is 4x on United spend to 2x for Pres Plus, and Infinite is also 2x dining and travel. Infinite also gets you IHG Platinum status and a $125 IHG credit, while Pres Plus gets you Avis status, Infinite has $100 GE/TSA credit, and 10% off all Economy saver award purchases.

Presidential Plus lets you earn 1K at the flight requirement PQP level without meeting the flight requirement. Buuut... With other credit cards (like Chase Reserve) giving much better point accrual and redemption than United cards, I'm never going to put enough credit card spend on a United card for that to matter; if I'm making 1K, I'll be flying the flights (at 48 this year on 9807 PQP, 2k of which was United starter freebie), I'd make 54 if I was getting anywhere near 18k PQP), so that advantage for Pres Plus is doesn't help me.

So on the personal side, Infinite seems like the clear winner. On the business side (and I have the Pres Plus business), Club Business seems to have just a bit of an edge.

The problem with United card PQP is there's a big opportunity cost... sure I can put $120k spend on a card and get 5,000 PQP, but that also costs me at leas $1200 if not $2400 in value had I put that spend on a Sapphire Reserve.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by raehl311

The problem with United card PQP is there's a big opportunity cost... sure I can put $120k spend on a card and get 5,000 PQP, but that also costs me at leas $1200 if not $2400 in value had I put that spend on a Sapphire Reserve.
This is the same issue for me - why should I spend on the UA card when I can earn 5 MRs per $1 of flight ticket spend, and then get 35% of the redemption refunded back when I book on UA, or in business/first on any airline. I just use the MRs to cover the cost gap between coach and business, net of the earning and refund, the value significantly reduces the cost to sit in F.
Old Dec 7, 2022, 9:21 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
I'm a United Club member via my Prez+ MC, can my spouse use my membership?

I seem to recall there used to be an option where you could add your spouse to your club membership, but no idea if that is still available

Also, wondering if my membership has different rules based on the fact my membership comes from a branded card

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 7, 2022 at 1:55 pm Reason: Moved to existing card benefits thread - please use in the future
Old Dec 7, 2022, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

United eliminated the spouse membership option a few years ago. I don't think your legacy card will make any difference.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, Avis PC, National Exec
I thought we lost the Hertz Presidents Circle benefit with this card. Will it be going away on January? I received an email from Hertz today saying I could gift PC status to a friend for 2023. Maybe if we are losing status next year I should gift it to myself?

EDIT: I just realized my Presidents Circle is from the AmEx Platinum card. Avis Presidents Club is from this card.
fryguy89 likes this.

Last edited by bocasierra; Dec 15, 2022 at 2:18 pm
Old Dec 15, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Originally Posted by bocasierra
I thought we lost the Hertz Presidents Circle benefit with this card. Will it be going away on January? I received an email from Hertz today saying I could gift PC status to a friend for 2023. Maybe if we are losing status next year I should gift it to myself?
I do not even remember how I got Avis President's club many years back but it has never been taken away despite the fact that I technically no longer qualify. I suspect the same will happen with my Hertz Pres Circle membership. But who knows?
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
So for 2022 I can earn 13,500 PQP with 10k PQP coming from my current year card spend as a Chase PP holder and not hit PQF and still get 1K? And that still exists in 2023 except I have to earn 18k PQP instead of 13.5k PQP but i can earn 15k PQP from my Chase PP card in 2023?
Old Dec 20, 2022, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by BallardFlyer
So for 2022 I can earn 13,500 PQP with 10k PQP coming from my current year card spend as a Chase PP holder and not hit PQF and still get 1K? And that still exists in 2023 except I have to earn 18k PQP instead of 13.5k PQP but i can earn 15k PQP from my Chase PP card in 2023?
I believe the limit for earning PQP on the Presidential Plus remains 10k. You can combine the earnings of two cards to get up to 15k, but it is still not eligible to be applied to 1K status. Only the PP has this exception.
BallardFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by bocasierra

EDIT: I just realized my Presidents Circle is from the AmEx Platinum card. Avis Presidents Club is from this card.
It will be going away, unless something changes. My husband and I both got the email. My husband tried to gift it to me and the system rejected it and said I was already Presidents Circle. I wrote Hertz to ask them about it and am waiting to hear back.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVPG, AA PP, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I believe the limit for earning PQP on the Presidential Plus remains 10k. You can combine the earnings of two cards to get up to 15k, but it is still not eligible to be applied to 1K status. Only the PP has this exception.
Thanks for that clarification. Interesting if accurate it sounds like it will no longer be possible to earn platinum on card spend alone with just a PP (and 4 UA flights) because it is beyond 10K PQP now.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 10:07 am

Programs: UA 1.65M , Platinum, 1K Emeritus, UC Lifetime , HHonors Gold, Presidential Plus card holder
Thanks for that clarification. Interesting if accurate it sounds like it will no longer be possible to earn platinum on card spend alone with just a PP (and 4 UA flights) because it is beyond 10K PQP now.
Unless you have some non-expiring or some March 31, 2023 expiring FPQPs to throw at it.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 9:17 am

I earned a bit over 13500 PQP as a combination of 10,000 PQP from my Pres Plus Card (did not use FPQP) and a few (more then 4) UA flights to push me just under 14000 PQP but I'm under the 1k PQF requirement. Did not get 1k. So Pres Plus wording of its special 1k PQP benefit does not appear to waive PQF requirement and you still would need 15k PQP. But yes the 10k Pres Plus PQPs did count towards my PQP only graph. I guess it was a misunderstanding of the Pres Plus benefit on my part. I do hope they raise the Pres Plus earning in 2023 up to 15k PQP per year on that single card.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Lifetime United Club member
I earned a bit over 13500 PQP as a combination of 10,000 PQP from my Pres Plus Card (did not use FPQP) .
So do I have it right that you spent $240K on your PP card to get 10,000 PQP?
Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by elitefreak
So do I have it right that you spent $240K on your PP card to get 10,000 PQP?
Correct. I put that on in about 3 months. I own a few businesses and my CC spend for business expenses is very high across my various cards. I don't care that the UA card doesn't have the best earnings relative to other cards. Its nice to lock in Plat at least with little to no effort and then just fly UA when the schedule is right for my needs.

I earned a bit over 13500 PQP as a combination of 10,000 PQP from my Pres Plus Card (did not use FPQP) and a few (more then 4) UA flights to push me just under 14000 PQP but I'm under the 1k PQF requirement. Did not get 1k. So Pres Plus wording of its special 1k PQP benefit does not appear to waive PQF requirement and you still would need 15k PQP. But yes the 10k Pres Plus PQPs did count towards my PQP only graph. I guess it was a misunderstanding of the Pres Plus benefit on my part. I do hope they raise the Pres Plus earning in 2023 up to 15k PQP per year on that single card.
Since I misunderstood the Pres Plus 1k "waiver" which does not allow qualifying for 1K at 13500 PQP (the lower PQF + PQP level) without reaching PQF count (my mistake) I decided to just buy the last few PQP to reach 15k PQP via Premier Accelerator this morning. Back to 1k after a while. Have some fun 2023 plans the PlusPoints should be handy for.
SPN Lifer and 8MiHi like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 6, 2023, 3:26 pm

[QUOTE=BallardFlyer;34877034]Correct. I put that on in about 3 months. I own a few businesses and my CC spend for business expenses is very high across my various cards. I don't care that the UA card doesn't have the best earnings relative to other cards. Its nice to lock in Plat at least with little to no effort and then just fly UA when the schedule is right for my needs.

Sounds like we have a similar setup in terms of business spend. I ended up using membership rewards to book revenue flights to get to 1k this year on top of the PP pqps. What other cards do you have which work best for you? My favorites are of course the Amex cards which I can usually max out all the extra points spend offers on and the citi att plus card (3x spend online).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.