Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Previous thread -- Presidential Plus Card Changes

Related thread - General Questions re: MileagePlus Flex PQM

This legacy Chase credit card is not taking new applications. Compiled below is a comparison of current card-derived vs. status-derived benefits.

Overall, the current benefits of the PP and the replacement Club card are nearly identical. The key trade-off is increased redeemable mile (RDM) earnings with the Club card vs. FPQM with the PP card. Basically, the Club card earns an incremental 0.5 RDM / $1 vs. the PP card’s 0.2 PQM / $1. This sets a 2.5 RDM : $1 PQM ratio, which puts a price on PQMs earned this way at $0.025 to $0.050. Given that PQMs cost atleast $0.08 or more each if purchased early in the year via award accelerator, this is a pretty good deal for those who anticipate falling short of the upcoming year’s desired Silver / Gold / Platinum threshold.

Benefits unique to the PP card:
- 1000 FPQM per $5,000 spend (or 0.2 / $1)
- FPQMs are only valid for Premier Silver / Gold / Platinum status, expire 3 years after earning
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend (x2 hotel & rental cars for personal card, x2 restaurants, gas, office supplies for business card)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar (PQD) waiver (no minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits unique to the Club card:
- 1.5 RDM / $1 card spend
- PQD waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend, doesn’t apply to 1K)

Benefits shared between PP and Club cards:
- $395 annual fee
- United club membership (vs. $450 1K/GS, $500 Platinum, $550 Gold, $550 Silver, $550 GM, +$550 with spouse)
- Waiver of 4 segment on United flights for Premier qualification (removed in 2020)
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- 2 free checked bags (vs. 1 Silver, 2 Gold, 3 Platinum)
- Hyatt Gold Passport Platinum
- Hertz Hertz President's Circle status (vs. Five Star for Premier Silver / Gold) (expiring 31 January 2023)
- CPU on award tickets
- No <21 day award booking fees (vs. $50 Silver, $25 Gold, $0 Platinum)
- No foreign transaction fees
- Concierge service

Benefits compared to Explorer card:
- only $95 annual fee
- only 1 free bag for cardholder and 1 companion
- 1 RDM / $1 card spend, +10,000 bonus after $25,000 card spend)
- 2 single-use club passes
- Premier Access (group 2 boarding)
- Premier Qualifying Dollar waiver (with $25,000 minimum card spend)

Sources (accessed Jan 1, 2015):

Chase United Card Benefits
https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm

United Premier Status Benefits
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...r/default.aspx

United Premier Status Qualification Requirements
Premier status qualification requirements

Prior FlyerTalk thread on Presidential Plus card changes
Presidential Plus Card Changes

Based on post by pstrasma
Print Wikipost

PresidentialPlus credit card - Benefits, Q&A, ....

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2023, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by paule123 (Post # 2258)
https://united.com/MonthsOfMilesBonus

Thought I would post it here for those not checking their snail mail.
Thank you.

Offer has ended.

Admittedly on my wife's Quest Card.
fryguy89 likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I got the "We're sorry, this promotion has ended" message as well. That's very dd given the offer quoted above.
SPN Lifer and fryguy89 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:27 am

Does anyone still have Hertz President's Circle, presumably through the PP card? I still do and cannot think of any other reason why I would other than the old PP benefit. I wonder how long it will last?
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by jonu
Does anyone still have Hertz President's Circle, presumably through the PP card? I still do and cannot think of any other reason why I would other than the old PP benefit. I wonder how long it will last?
Just checked my Hertz account and I'm still PC. Haven't rented from Hertz at all in 2023, FWIW. I've been renting Avis this year and been quite pleased.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 5:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Originally Posted by paule123
Just checked my Hertz account and I'm still PC. Haven't rented from Hertz at all in 2023, FWIW. I've been renting Avis this year and been quite pleased.
I still have Hertz PC. I had about 10 rentals in 2022 and will likely only have about 5 this year, so clearly a carryover from the PP card.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I still have it too and haven't rented from Hertz in years. These things usually reset Jan 31. I status matched to National and haven't looked back!
fryguy89 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Think I found a bug (or at least a manual process) related to the PPlus card ...

Long story short, I was showing ~24,500 PQP's in my account for the year, but NOT a requalification for 1K; the system was still showing me as Platinum.

Of those 24,500 PQP's, 1000 were from the PPlus card.

I just took a flight yesterday that pushed me just over the 25,000 PQP mark. Immediately (within 5 minutes of landing) - 1K requalification and Pluspoints posted.

Appears to me the "minimum PQF waiver towards 1K for Presidential Plus-earned PQPs" is either not working, or is a manual process somewhere.

I'm sure it's a very small subset of folks that would qualify for the PQF waiver, but still ... annoying that it isn't working as it should. Thankfully I don't have to worry about it now.
SPN Lifer and fryguy89 like this.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:05 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond/Million Miler; Mileage Plus Platinum; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum; Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
Do you need to do anything to sign up for this or just add the card to those respective platforms?

I started PP with MC, switched it to Visa, then they switched me back to MC while moving all the other cards to Visa.

Big Chase 2024 announcement today. Nothing specific about PPlus, but it sounds like Infinite will now basically have the same 10,000PQP earning benefit that we do, and that it will be slightly easier for everyone to earn PQPs with spending by having 25PQP per $500 vs 500 PQP per $12k across the cards.
I'm on the legacy Presidental Plus credit card. Can anyone confirm if the PP card moves to the 25PQP per $500 or stay on the $12K? If its still on 12K, based on the thread looks like it's time to dump it and move to the Club card. I'd make up the incremental $75 annual fee with the extra miles earned on United purchases.
Old Feb 1, 2024, 10:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BallyLoser
I'm on the legacy Presidental Plus credit card. Can anyone confirm if the PP card moves to the 25PQP per $500 or stay on the $12K? If its still on 12K, based on the thread looks like it's time to dump it and move to the Club card. I'd make up the incremental $75 annual fee with the extra miles earned on United purchases.
How to Qualify for MileagePlus Premier Status | United Airlines
Earn up to 10,000 PQP: The UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Card and UnitedSM Presidential PlusSM Business Card earn 25 PQP for every $500 in card spend, up to 10,000 PQP in a calendar year.
8MiHi likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by BallyLoser
I'm on the legacy Presidental Plus credit card. Can anyone confirm if the PP card moves to the 25PQP per $500 or stay on the $12K?
The new PQP policy seems to be working for my PPMC. I have 1538 in "Presidential Plus Purchases" posted on Jan 23 (statement closing date), and on Jan 29 they posted 75 PQP to my MP account.

Last edited by paule123; Feb 2, 2024 at 11:44 am
Old Feb 2, 2024, 11:01 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
The new PQP policy seems to be working for my PPMC. I have 1538 in "Presidential Plus Purchases" posted on Jan 23, and on Jan 29 they posted 75 PQP to my MP account.
I had 1025 PQP related to my PPMC deposited yesterday evening...(was a busy month) to qualify for 1K already
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2024, 11:21 am

Programs: Delta Diamond/Million Miler; Mileage Plus Platinum; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum; Hilton Silver
The new PQP policy seems to be working for my PPMC. I have 1538 in "Presidential Plus Purchases" posted on Jan 23, and on Jan 29 they posted 75 PQP to my MP account.
That's weird. I had Chase miles post to my account, but no PQPs yet. My January spend was over $2000, so should have seen something.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 6:22 am

At this point, are there any compelling reasons to keep this card over the Club card besides the lower annual fee? Any compelling reason to switch to the Club card?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA
At this point, are there any compelling reasons to keep this card over the Club card besides the lower annual fee? Any compelling reason to switch to the Club card?
Nostalgia?
Old Feb 13, 2024, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Primary rental car coverage vs secondary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.