Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United operates its own United Clubs worldwide; for a detailed list, see this FT thread: United Club and Other United Lounges.
Official lounge access policy on UA's website: Club access policy
Older archived FT thread: Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread [ARCHIVE]
For UA partner and Star Alliance lounges, reference the *A website: *A Lounge Finder and *A Lounge Access Policies. Note that some airports have "contract" lounges with varying access rules. Also see Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
United also operates Polaris Lounges and Arrival Lounges and previously operated International Global First Lounges (respective FT threads linked).
GS2021 newsresent GS status extended to Jan2022, domestic UC access, additional PP

To have access to the UCs, you will need to fit into one of the following:
  • UC member with same-day UA, *A, or contracted partner BP* UC members can have 2 guests or guest their spouse and dependent children under 21 years (note at non-UA *A lounges, UC members are allowed only 1 guest)
    * Since 1 Nov 2019, a same-day BP on a UA, *A, or contracted partner flight is required for entry
    * Actual UC membership card is generally not required at UCs if presenting a UA BP with member's UA FF# as the UC membership is tied to the MP account
  • UA *G member with international *A BP, for any class of travel, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP.
    * UA *G cannot access domestic UCs unless traveling on a *A international itin (within 24 hours - some agents use same calendar day) - can be different PNR
  • non-UA *G member with same-day *A BP for a flight departing from the same airport, showing status
    * Can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP from same airport.
    * If non-UA *G but crediting to UA MP, you will need to present your non-UA *G card. There have been some reports of refused entry -- agents claiming you have to be crediting to the same program as you are requesting entry
  • passenger with same-day *A BP for international travel in business or first class, departing same airport
    * International First passengers can guest 1 traveler with a departing *A BP
    * No guests for International Business.
  • Premium transcontinental non-stop (EWR-SFO/LAX & BOS-SFO) business class traveler
    * Limited to origin and destination airports of the premium transcontinental flight -- does not include connecting cities
    * No guests
  • Have GS status with a same day BP (UA/partner carrier)
    • No guests
  • Have or purchase a UC one-time access pass with same day BP
    * No guests
  • Have Amtrak Select Plus or Select Executive status.
    * 1 guest and/or dependent childern under 21
    * Same day BP on ANY airline (arriving or departing)
  • Active U.S. military personnelActive duty military members with a valid military ID, boarding pass for travel within 24 hours on a United- or United Express-operated flight and one of the following:
    Dressed in uniform
    Leave orders
    Rest and recuperation papers
    Access is subject to United Club seating availability.
    Allowed Guest -- Family members with gate passes or traveling on the same flight as the military member
  • Air Canada Maple Leaf™ Club membership with a departing *A BP from that airportMaple Leaf Club North America members can access United Club locations in the U.S. only. no Guest.
    Maple Leaf Club Worldwide members can access all United Club locations. 1 guest.

When BP/ticket is required, it can be either a paid or award ticket.

United Club T&Cs

Common questions
Children -- Are they counted as a guest?
Anyone with an individual ticket is counted as a guest. Lap children (below 2 years of age) are not counted as a guest. UC members can guest their dependent family at UCs (but this will not work at other *A lounges).

Is Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Puerto Rico (San Juan), .... international for UC access?
Yes
Travel to or from Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, Guam and Mexico are considered international itineraries for the purposes of United Club access.
What about Domestic First Class?
Domestic First Class is not provided with UC access. Unless you qualify based on some other reason, there is no access for paid or award domestic FC.
Why no United Lounge access with UA domestic first class tickets?

Can my guest stay if I leave the lounge?
Strictly speaking, no. Guests only have access when the sponsor is in the lounge. You have "responsibility" for the guest when they are in the lounge. Realistically, however, there is usually no problem with leaving a guest behind.

Can access to the UC be further restricted?
UA reserves the right to limit access including the number of guests at times of crowding.

Can I bring food into the UC?
Strictly speaking no. There may be local health & safety codes against this.

Can I guest 3 co-workers by using multiple access methods? Such as 2 via UC membership and 1 as *G international?
No -- you cannot stack access methods.

Can I access the UC on arrival and no forward *A travel or if departing on a non-*A carrier?
Maybe if UC member or UA *G on international itinerary or arriving on UC operated Polaris cabin itinerary (Also you will need to able to access to the UC location)
As of 1 Nov 2019 - all will be required to will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club location. Other airline BPs will not qualify
Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Partner lounges
USA Lounges with UA *G / UC membership Access When Flying Domestic
Access / reviews for TK's IAD *A lounge
Consolidated "Access to Lufthansa Lounge at IAD" Thread [2014 forward]
Best IAD Lounge
Lufthansa Lounge Access in DTW/Detroit
Accessing the *A Lounge at LAX/TBIT as a UA flyer

Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread
Non-UA Lounge Access Rules for United Club members?
The United Club Meet-Up Thread
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "United Club Access Questions" Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2023, 8:53 am

fly from ORD-YVR in a reward J, do I have access to United Club?

since it says cus travel to and from Canada in United first have access?
Old Aug 30, 2023, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by ecgz88
fly from ORD-YVR in a reward J, do I have access to United Club?
yes
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:21 pm

Transborder UA Business Ticket Lounge Access?

We have splurged and booked a flight in business class. We seldom fly United so opted to use our Air Canada number to collect Aeroplan points on the flight. I called today to verify that we would have access to The United Lounge and was told that we had to have our United # rather than our Aeroplan # on the reservation in order to access the lounges? Does this sound right?
Edit... Traveling from YHZ-YYZ-EWR-MIA The YHZ-YYZ leg is on AC. We are only 25K on AC.

Last edited by stoddaj1; Aug 31, 2023 at 3:36 pm
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by stoddaj1
We have splurged and booked a flight in business class. We seldom fly United so opted to use our Air Canada number to collect Aeroplan points on the flight. I called today to verify that we would have access to The United Lounge and was told that we had to have our United # rather than our Aeroplan # on the reservation in order to access the lounges? Does this sound right?
Hard to answer without knowing your itinerary. Also, are you Star Alliance Gold through AC?
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:35 pm

More info.

Traveling from YHZ-YYZ-EWR-MIA The YHZ-YYZ leg is on AC. We are only 25K on Air Canada.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
YYZ-EWR-MIA on UA in business should grant lounge access without ANY FQTV #. Don’t think you’ll run into issues. Keep the AC#, you’ll be fine.
stoddaj1 and 8MiHi like this.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 3:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stoddaj1
Edit... Traveling from YHZ-YYZ-EWR-MIA The YHZ-YYZ leg is on AC. We are only 25K on AC.
On an international business class ticket (YYZ-EWR), YYZ-EWR is UA operated and no *G status, you will have MLL access at YYZ and UA UC access at EWR.
Your FF account will not matter as the business class ticket will be your reason for access. If you were using status, there might be a issue of which FF account (which can be addressed separately) but it does not impact your access in this case.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
1k traveling internationally, no more guests at UA Club?

I seem to recall that 1Ks traveling internationally are/were allowed to guest in a traveling companion at UA Clubs and other *G lounges. UA website says 0 guests. Is that true?
Old Sep 2, 2023, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA1K
It says 1 guest. Where are you seeing that?

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...es/access.html
Old Sep 2, 2023, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The caveat is that they have to be on the same flight.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I seem to recall that 1Ks traveling internationally are/were allowed to guest in a traveling companion at UA Clubs and other *G lounges. UA website says 0 guests. Is that true?
For when you have access:
Polaris Lounge with business class is 0 guests. Status never comes into play.
UC for international Business Class but no *G status is 0 guests
UC *G are allowed 1 guest
SPN Lifer, shdflyer, 8MiHi and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
You must be reading UA Club Fly

Also, since when does active military and family get access? Just noticed when looking at the site.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
... Also, since when does active military and family get access? Just noticed when looking at the site.
Since forever, many decades (Active duty military members and must be Dressed in uniform, or have Leave orders or Rest and recuperation papers)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by eng3
You must be reading UA Club Fly
Yes. Didn’t notice I was in that section of the web page.
Old Sep 2, 2023, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I am Platinum. Spouse is general member. She and I (on the same itinerary) will be traveling EWR to EDI in November. She will be arriving EWR earlier that day (via ORD), but I will be arriving a little later (after work from NYC). So, she will be around EWR earlier than I will be.

Question: I realize that she and I would be allowed to access the United Club at EWR if I were with her, but is she allowed to access the United Club at EWR without me present?

Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.