Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:43 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, Executive National
delete thanks Wine
Old Dec 20, 2017, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've been having serious issues lately.

If I change from a non-stop to a one-stop, it puts the ticket out of sync and I have to call to get it reissued.

Then I get the inevitable "You owe use $75".

I'm *G, so the app lets me do it for free, and quotes me $0.

"The app said it was $0"
"Yes but the same day change fee is $75. The normal change fee is $200."
"You can't increase the price after the fact. The app said $0."

Blah blah blah 30 minutes later I get it done.

Twice this has happened now.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by canadiancow
If I change from a non-stop to a one-stop, it puts the ticket out of sync and I have to call to get it reissued.
What does the rest of the ticket look like? I get the resync-when-coupon-number-changes error if there are/were non-UA flights on my itin, and never on other occasions.

Then I get the inevitable "You owe use $75".
While it's probably annoying to do this, I can understand the rationale for agent pushback -- *G "shouldn't" get free SDC, and I don't know enough about DOT post-purchase price increases to know whether an SDC fee fits into that bracket or not. Glad you've been able to solve it both times, though.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Curious if if this SDC is logistically possible with UA. Currently scheduled to fly SFO-ORD-TVC, departing SFO at 12:30 AM on 12/24/17, arriving TVC at 9:39 AM on 12/24/17.

There is a flight departing SFO at 1:17 AM on 12/23/17 that would eventually get me into TVC Saturday afternoon. Assuming I check-in at exactly T-24, is "the system" going to let me SDC to a flight that departs 47 minutes later? (assume space is available)
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
There is a flight departing SFO at 1:17 AM on 12/23/17 that would eventually get me into TVC Saturday afternoon. Assuming I check-in at exactly T-24, is "the system" going to let me SDC to a flight that departs 47 minutes later? (assume space is available)
Yes
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Curious if if this SDC is logistically possible with UA. Currently scheduled to fly SFO-ORD-TVC, departing SFO at 12:30 AM on 12/24/17, arriving TVC at 9:39 AM on 12/24/17.

Yes. The SDC threshold is 45m for domestic, 1h for intl (domestic accurate as of about two weeks ago, international 5 or so months ago, since that's when I last did each of these). Obviously 47 is somewhat tight, but I've found good phone agents willing to switch me between T-45 and T-30, so long as I'm at the gate for the new flight to get myself manually checked in. (You can buy then cancel a ticket to get through security at SFO in advance of departure on 12/23.)
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by sfo789
What does the rest of the ticket look like? I get the resync-when-coupon-number-changes error if there are/were non-UA flights on my itin, and never on other occasions.
This is the last part of the ticket, and there were other airlines involved previously.

I just changed it back to a non-stop, and I need the ticket reissued again

So it seems if the number of segments changed, I have to get this done. At least I know for next time. But I have to call in again

Originally Posted by sfo789
While it's probably annoying to do this, I can understand the rationale for agent pushback -- *G "shouldn't" get free SDC, and I don't know enough about DOT post-purchase price increases to know whether an SDC fee fits into that bracket or not. Glad you've been able to solve it both times, though.
Written policy contradicts implementation, but you're assuming written policy is the intended behavior. It probably is, but I write software for a living, and I've encountered numerous scenarios where the implementation was correct and the documentation or specification was incorrect.

The alternative is they put me back on my original flight, which already departed . Though I may start taking a screenshot of the app for any changes to the number of segments.

I'm also wondering if I should just have them put me in (full) Y instead of my current Z if I want to get onto a flight that's F0. I suspect Y is going to be easier to self-manage than Z, given that I've seen a lot of F0 flights, but only one Y0 (on this route in the past week).
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
This is the last part of the ticket, and there were other airlines involved previously.

I just changed it back to a non-stop, and I need the ticket reissued again

So it seems if the number of segments changed, I have to get this done. At least I know for next time. But I have to call in again
In the past, I've added/removed segments without manual intervention, except when going from 5 to 4 segments (and I suspect 4 to 5, 8 to 9, 9 to 8, etc, etc), as there's a limit of 4 coupons per ticket and going from 5 to 4 caused trouble because it's not a straight up exchange - there's a conjunction ticket for the 5th coupon that's going away. The reservation changed fine, but the ticket needed to be reissued by an agent.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Probably not, since your first segment is the one you'd like to SDC to p.s., and the fare rules evidently exclude p.s. It's generally only after the first segment that the fare rules go out the window.

If you want to try, you should focus on the app or website; a human will probably consult with the rate desk, and they will give you an answer you don't like.
To update, I was able to accomplish this. I saw P1 on the ps flight I wanted so I asked an agent in the United Club. She seemed skeptical at first there were any available seats but I told her the flight I wanted and she saw it. She didn't bat an eye. She proceeded to tap away and 15 minutes (not exaggerating), I had my ps boarding pass. It was a good thing too because in that time, the SFO-ORD leg delayed (do the 77G flights EVER go out on time?) and it would eventually have given me a <20 minute connection in ORD (my bag still took this route and is waiting in EWR because EWR-MYR is only once a day and apparently they don't care to be proactive ). FWIW, the app never offered me any alternatives, ps or no.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:10 am

So going from 2 segments to 1 segment again, I needed reissuing.

Agent wanted to charge me $400 fare difference because "this ticket is not eligible for SDC". I believe that, aside from basic economy, all tickets are eligible?

I pushed back and got transferred to web support. She wanted $75. I said "the app said $0", so she just reissued it.

At this point, I was past the check-in cutoff.

The saving grace was my roommate was at my departure airport, and was able to get them to SDC me again.

I'm starting to question whether it's worth the effort to save this segment for when I actually want to use it.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAaronT
To update, I was able to accomplish this. I saw P1 on the ps flight I wanted so I asked an agent in the United Club. She seemed skeptical at first there were any available seats but I told her the flight I wanted and she saw it. She didn't bat an eye. She proceeded to tap away and 15 minutes (not exaggerating), I had my ps boarding pass. It was a good thing too because in that time, the SFO-ORD leg delayed (do the 77G flights EVER go out on time?) and it would eventually have given me a <20 minute connection in ORD (my bag still took this route and is waiting in EWR because EWR-MYR is only once a day and apparently they don't care to be proactive ). FWIW, the app never offered me any alternatives, ps or no.
Sounds like you got special treatment—good for you! ^
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Sounds like you got special treatment—good for you! ^
Yeah, she definitely didn't seem to care about the ps distinction. And even if she said, no, they probably would have put me on that flight once SFO-ORD started to go sideways.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:16 am

Has any one tried recently to change their flight to the flight the day before (exactly 24 hours earlier)? If so, did it work?

I actually managed to get an agent to do it last Thanksgiving, but I know that could very well be a one-time fluke.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sincx
Has any one tried recently to change their flight to the flight the day before (exactly 24 hours earlier)? If so, did it work?

I actually managed to get an agent to do it last Thanksgiving, but I know that could very well be a one-time fluke.
Curious about this too...I'd like to do this exact thing tonight. Just called the desk and they said tough luck.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 2:05 pm

No personal experience but I've seen others manage this: sometimes people succeed in getting it changed by a generous phone agent, otherwise I'd recommend (1) getting airside with a refundable ticket of some sort then (2) asking the GA to waitlist you for a standby. While not quite T-24, I managed to pull a domestic flight back about 23:30 by asking to be standbied, which the agent was willing to do despite reminding me it went beyond published policy.

Bear in mind, of course, that Y at this time of year can be close to full, so check inventory before you decide to invest an evening/morning on this endeavour. But good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.