Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
If SDC is not available,

Is it possible to standby on a flight the preceding day, if within the 24-hour window? Or can standby only be on the same calendar day? SIIP, I could not find an answer.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dts9
So is a P business class lower than economy, ie if I want to do SDC, is it better with P or economy ticket.
P is discount business / domestic F. The inventories for P and economy are relatively independent.

Originally Posted by cubfan99
Is it possible to standby on a flight the preceding day, if within the 24-hour window? Or can standby only be on the same calendar day? SIIP, I could not find an answer.
Standby can only be done in person at the airport on the day of travel.

You can go to the airport on another day and try -- there is not formal method for doing this but it has, at times, worked for others. But don't be surprise if refused.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 7, 2017 at 5:15 pm Reason: self-merge
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
And one can never try to SDC via standby with checked baggage, right?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Generally yes especially at a connecting city. If checking in with bags and you wish to try, sometimes it can be done --- your bags will be specially marked and held.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:39 am

Very timely ... I am in a similar situation (re: checking bags and SDC).

SIN-SFO is a bit cheaper via LAX, but there's a 6hr transit. There are two earlier LAX-SFO flights that would be ideal and wide open (as of now) ... what would be the best way to do SDC in this case?

fwiw, I'm 1K in business class (but should be able to survive E+ from LAX-SFO if it came to that for SDC)

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Generally yes especially at a connecting city. If checking in with bags and you wish to try, sometimes it can be done --- your bags will be specially marked and held.
Originally Posted by joe_miami

Last edited by malgudi; Dec 9, 2017 at 12:49 pm
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by malgudi
Very timely ... I am in a similar situation.

SIN-SFO is a bit cheaper via LAX, but there's a 6hr transit. There are two earlier LAX-SFO flights that would be ideal and wide open (as of now) ... what would be the best way to do SDC in this case?

fwiw, I'm 1K in business class (but should be able to survive E+ from LAX-SFO if it came to that for SDC)
Since you quote posts about checking bags, I infer you are checking bags?

Since you will collect / recheck bags at LAX, I would say your best chance is to ask one of the check-in agents about change / standby. You'll have to move them from TBIT to T7 yourself.

That said, I would probably just hang out at the *A lounge and not bother changing, unless getting back to SFO earlier makes a big difference for your next day.

Last edited by fumje; Dec 9, 2017 at 1:04 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:51 pm

Yes ... it is re: SDC/checked bags.

SIN-LAX arrives in T7, so I won't have move bags. But good point about Star Alliance lounge ... looks like I'll be able to access it without exiting security.

Originally Posted by fumje
Since you quote posts about checking backs, I infer you are checking bags?

Since you will collect / recheck bags at LAX, I would say your best chance is to ask one of the check-in agents about change / standby. You'll have to move them from TBIT to T7 yourself.

That said, I would probably just hang out at the *A lounge and not bother changing, unless getting back to SFO earlier makes a big difference for your next day.

Last edited by malgudi; Dec 9, 2017 at 4:25 pm
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:12 am

Went to SDC this morning only to find out my flight had been cancelled and I had been reassigned in Economy. Had to spend 30 minutes on the phone getting that sorted out. The app only seems to be offering me economy options even with some flights having P space. Is this normal? Will the kiosk at the airport be better?

Side note, there must be a lot of pissed off people/elites in IAH. The cancelled flight was a 777 with almost all FC seats taken. I managed to snag one of the last seats on the 757 they seemed to have subbed in to replace it.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SIN-LAX arrives in T7, so I won't have move bags. But good point about Star Alliance lounge ...
looks like I'll be able to access it without exiting security.
Unfortunately after your mandatory interaction with CBP you'll be outside security, so you will have to go through security regardless. There is some debate about what the best strategy is for reclearing (stay at TBIT or go to another terminal to use Pre if you have it) here. Once you are inside security, though, you can go from TBIT to T7/8 without clearing security again, though.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I have a SFO-ORD-EWR-MYR P fare booked because EWR-MYR is not combinable with p.s. for some dumb reason. Will I be able to SDC to SFO-EWR if there's P availability, or are p.s. routes off limits in this scenario?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JAaronT
I have a SFO-ORD-EWR-MYR P fare booked because EWR-MYR is not combinable with p.s. for some dumb reason. Will I be able to SDC to SFO-EWR if there's P availability, or are p.s. routes off limits in this scenario?
Probably not, since your first segment is the one you'd like to SDC to p.s., and the fare rules evidently exclude p.s. It's generally only after the first segment that the fare rules go out the window.

If you want to try, you should focus on the app or website; a human will probably consult with the rate desk, and they will give you an answer you don't like.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:17 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by JAaronT
I'm confused when you say "EWR-MYR is not combinable with p.s.", as I see the SFO-EWR-MYR one-stop itinerary available for booking on at least a few different dates in the future that I checked.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by physioprof
I'm confused when you say "EWR-MYR is not combinable with p.s.", as I see the SFO-EWR-MYR one-stop itinerary available for booking on at least a few different dates in the future that I checked.
Yeah but it books into a flexible fare category even when lower is available (i.e. I could book EWR-MYR in L but SFO-EWR-MYR would book the EWR-MYR leg in M).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Unfortunately after your mandatory interaction with CBP you'll be outside security, so you will have to go through security regardless. There is some debate about what the best strategy is for reclearing (stay at TBIT or go to another terminal to use Pre if you have it) here. Once you are inside security, though, you can go from TBIT to T7/8 without clearing security again, though.
Sorry for not being clear. I arrive in T7 (SIN-LAX) and will have to go through security again after CBP (as you point out).

If I then wanted to access the Star Alliance Lounge in T4, I would not have to clear security again. This is what I meant.

SIN-LAX arrives in T7, so I won't have move bags. But good point about Star Alliance lounge ... looks like I'll be able to access it without exiting security.
​​​​​​​
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry for not being clear. I arrive in T7 (SIN-LAX) and will have to go through security again after CBP (as you point out).

If I then wanted to access the Star Alliance Lounge in T4, I would not have to clear security again. This is what I meant.

​​​​​​​
Ah, I was just spelling all of that out in case it affected your plans. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.