Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
1. Always check with an agent before confirming the SDC but any decent agent will be able to ensure you stay in R on the second segment, even if R is no longer available.

2. Indeed, with open R you'll be able to clear the first segment immediately.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sfo789
1. Always check with an agent before confirming the SDC but any decent agent will be able to ensure you stay in R on the second segment, even if R is no longer available.

2. Indeed, with open R you'll be able to clear the first segment immediately.

Good luck and enjoy!
I agree on both points. I would not try this on the app — if it even gives you the option to change in the first place, it will almost certainly drop your upgrade. Instead, call in, say that you’d like to SDC and preserve your upgrade. Then, when you’re selecting the new flight, mention that you’d like to extend the upgrade to cover the new domestic connector as well.

(Frankly, it’s unlikely to be necessary — if the flight is at R6, I’d wager they’ve already cleared all 1K+ CPUs and you’d clear almost instantly also — but it only takes a moment and can’t hurt).

After the change is applied, log out of your account, log back in, and double-check that an additional instrument wasn’t deducted.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Flying SFO-LAX yesterday, SDC earlier in the day offered routings via Fresno and Phoenix. Later in the day those two options had disappeared, but had been replaced with Aspen and Austin.

From 337 miles to 2,746 miles which I might have even considered if I'd needed the miles...
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki)

Originally Posted by docbert
Flying SFO-LAX yesterday, SDC earlier in the day offered routings via Fresno and Phoenix. Later in the day those two options had disappeared, but had been replaced with Aspen and Austin.

From 337 miles to 2,746 miles which I might have even considered if I'd needed the miles...
What fare were basis were you on? And how far out were the Aspen and Austin flights until your original SFO-LAX flight?
Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meliá Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Originally Posted by BThumme
What fare were basis were you on? And how far out were the Aspen and Austin flights until your original SFO-LAX flight?
Flying in P, IAH-ORD, I was offered to fly vía MCO, AUS, SAT, DFW, DTW, DCA, CLE, MSP, MCI, etc. Chose MCO at the beginning, but as the IAH-MCO flight was seriously delayed, I flew directly to ORD,
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Never tried this before with a *Alliance flight, but have a flight dsm-ord-waw-cdg in march. Was hoping to switch from the LOT op segments to a UA direct ord-cdg. wiki says agent, but anyone manage to do this? XN award tix, UA stock. Thx
Old Jan 5, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: United Plat
Original Routing:
Saturday: LHR 8:40am -EWR 12pm
in less than 24 hours..
Sunday: EWR 6am - SFO 9:34am

Is it possible to do SDC on Saturday's LHR-SFO direct flights leaving LHR at either 9:20am or 11:35am?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by sfo3388
Original Routing:
Saturday: LHR 8:40am -EWR 12pm
in less than 24 hours..
Sunday: EWR 6am - SFO 9:34am

Is it possible to do SDC on Saturday's LHR-SFO direct flights leaving LHR at either 9:20am or 11:35am?
if your fare class is available and you are trying to SDC to the saturday flights, should not be an issue. are the flights on one PNR?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by haddon90
if your fare class is available and you are trying to SDC to the saturday flights, should not be an issue. are the flights on one PNR?
Yes, on one PNR. And both segments are on K class. Thanks!
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by sfo3388
Yes, on one PNR. And both segments are on K class. Thanks!
you're good to go then, let us know how it works out. Good luck…
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Have archived the 2015-2016-2017 posts, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ions-wiki.html is the active thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 6, 2018, 9:33 am

I booked an evening flight ORD-BOS for the 12th of Jan- now something has come up and I need to be on an earlier one. Just missed the 24hr cancel window and change fees are high enough that I'd almost be better buying a new ticket.

I'm considering waiting and trying for a same day change to one of the earlier flights- but hesitant because the fare is booked in L. I looked up today's departing flights, and even a couple of hours out with empty seats still there, none are L.

Does anyone have a feel for the odds of L availability popping up within 24 hrs of departure? It's all a bit opaque how this is done, no doubt to get more people paying that change fee!
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:07 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jobst
I booked an evening flight ORD-BOS for the 12th of Jan- now something has come up and I need to be on an earlier one. Just missed the 24hr cancel window and change fees are high enough that I'd almost be better buying a new ticket.

I'm considering waiting and trying for a same day change to one of the earlier flights- but hesitant because the fare is booked in L. I looked up today's departing flights, and even a couple of hours out with empty seats still there, none are L.

Does anyone have a feel for the odds of L availability popping up within 24 hrs of departure? It's all a bit opaque how this is done, no doubt to get more people paying that change fee!
There are too many variables (weather, irrops, ....) that can change the situation from the "typical" to provide a useful answer. L is going to be among the last fare buckets to be opened.

As posted in the wiki, the present policy appears to
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
In the past it has been earlier but it has progressively (T-24, T-4, T-3, ...) become shorter and shorter
Old Jan 6, 2018, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jobst

Nobody’s can tell you the chances of L opening - maybe it will, maybe it won’t. As already said, too many variables.

my personal rule: If I need to be on the earlier flight, I suck it up and pay the change fee per the rules of ticket. Sucks, but if plans change and you have to be there earlier, then that’s the choice. If I want to be on the earlier flight, but can still be ok on the original, I wait for SDC.

There’s always two other options: hope the flight isn’t sold out within SDC time, and call in to do SDC with upfare to lowest available class. Or take chances with standby, where fee is the same as SDC, but no extra charge.

Also of note, given you’re within a week of departure, odds of lower fare classes becoming available for a change are relatively low, and you’ll pay upfare plus a change fee. So if you are going to do the full price change, better to do it sooner rather than later. In fact, if L is available on the flight you want now, and you have to be on it, much better, IMO, to do it for just change fee vs when you may have to also upfare for $50, $100 or $250+.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So here's a rather nasty bug to be aware off...

Flying SFO-BOS tomorrow. During checkin on the website, SDC offered the following alternative flight :

Which seemed odd as I was pretty sure there wasn't a 10:45am flight...

UA994 is actually SFO-EWR, EWR-BOS. It does depart SFO at 10:45am, but arrives in EWR at 7:17pm (not Boston as shown). The "continuing" flight then departs EWR at 8:28pm and doesn't arrive in Boston until 9:47pm - 2h30m later than shown...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.