Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Oh look, one of those "direct" flights with a "plane change." United's systems always seem to handle these flights poorly. On the bright side, because the system handles these so poorly, the system can occasionally sell you fare-rule breaking flights because it sees the two flights as one.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I'm relatively new to same-day-change feature and just learning the ropes. Regarding fare classes, if I book X fare class (award ticket), will I get to change only to flight that has X fare class available? Or, does that policy only apply to revenue fare classes?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Regarding fare classes, if I book X fare class (award ticket), will I get to change only to flight that has X fare class available?
Yes.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:38 am

SDC - UA/ANZ to all UA

Hello! I've read the Wiki and just want to confirm my understanding of United's SDC policies. I'm looking to take advantage of 2 components and the Wiki suggests one is permissible (A) and the other may be possible.

Grabbed the incredible Cyber Monday deal ~$450 RT IAH - AKL. Routing is:
IAH - SYD (UA)
SYD - AKL (ANZ)

AKL - SYD (ANZ)
SYD - IAH (UA)
Fare class for above is L if that matters.

Outbound has a 5.5 hour layover in SYD, but was well worth the cheap fare, in our opinion. We are MSY based, so I separately bought MSY - IAH on UA (fare class T) for the same day as departure, allowing 3 hours for a connection. Hoping to eliminate a leg and allow more time on the ground by using SDC to all United metal. FT indicates this may be possible, but is not explicitly allowed. Questions are:

- Since we are going MSY - IAH and IAH - AKL on separate reservations, can we use SDC to combine into one continuous trip? Ideal would be MSY - SFO - AKL all on United.
- or, would we have to keep our MSY - IAH separate, and hope for an IAH - SFO - AKL SDC, with a bit of luck T-24 hours?

To reiterate, we are thrilled with the fare and know what we booked, just hoping to make some improvements. I greatly appreciate the advice on here - thanks in advance!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjh00008
- Since we are going MSY - IAH and IAH - AKL on separate reservations, can we use SDC to combine into one continuous trip? Ideal would be MSY - SFO - AKL all on United.
- or, would we have to keep our MSY - IAH separate, and hope for an IAH - SFO - AKL SDC, with a bit of luck T-24 hours?
The former is almost certainly impossible absent IRROPS that would cause you to miss your flight in IAH and a generous agent. Because you're on separate reservations (PNRs), you'd basically be asking to change to MSY-SFO on one PNR and SFO-AKL on the other, and changing the origin or destination isn't allowed during an SDC. (Also, the fact that you are on different fare bases would complicate things even if this were a single PNR).

The latter is a YMMV situation, as you've correctly noted. If there is L space available on IAH-SFO-AKL, you may be able to change to it with an agent's help.

Good luck :-)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
Recently regained UA Gold after almost a decade without status. Never used SDC, so I’m looking to clarify my understanding of the current policy.

Booked on:
869 SFO-HKG, 20 Jan 1:15pm
K, waitlisted R with miles/$

I’m arriving SFO at 10am 19 Jan on domestic UA flight on different PNR. Once I arrive, would like to SDC to 869 19 Jan (also moving my miles R waitlist to this flight, although I understand that’s a tall order for HKG most days).

Can the SDC *request* only be initiated within 24 hours of original departure, or does the *flight* only have to be within 24 hours and the request can come earlier (like when I arrive at 10am)? Also, I presume K has to be available at the time of the request, but I see from WineCountryUA’s post above that buckets possibly only back up as little as 2 hours before departure?

Trying to adjust my strategy of getting to HKG a day earlier if I can for a first-time visit. Thanks in advance.

(Edit: I see now the wiki flowchart says request can only be T-24, so that rules out my strategy. But 869 is only 1 a day, and other connecting options within 24 hours of 10am arrival, meeting T-24 rule have less favorable trip durations or arrivals)

Last edited by omahajim; Jan 9, 2018 at 9:21 am Reason: I read the wiki
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by omahajim
(Edit: I see now the wiki flowchart says request can only be T-24, so that rules out my strategy. But 869 is only 1 a day, and other connecting options within 24 hours of 10am arrival, meeting T-24 rule have less favorable trip durations or arrivals)
Sadly, you're reading it properly. The only way to SDC to a flight that is 24 hours earlier than your current flight is to find a very nice agent or hope for enough of a delay on your target flight that you can SDC to it at exactly T-24. (example: if 1/19 UA869 is delayed until 2:30 PM, you could SDC to it at 1:15 PM, if space is available).

Also, the official policy is that there are no new waitlisted upgrade requests within 24 hours of departure, so you may not be able to move your R request unless R > 0 and you can clear immediately. (An agent can still do it but it's apparently a policy violation and not all agents will be amenable to it).
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: UA/*A nobody, Bonvoy Plat, SW A-list, Hertz 5* (but who isn't???)
Originally Posted by jsloan
Sadly, you're reading it properly.
Thanks for the confirmation and clear explanation. At this point I’ll be airside already after I arrive with some extra available time, so I’ll just play it fast and loose on whatever options present themselves the afternoon of 1/19. Sure would be nice to have an extra day (or so) in HKG. I could change now but the total with change fees is almost the price of my original $481 r/t.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 6:59 am

Booked a United award ticket using Aeroplan. I don't see options for same day change even though star gold status is printed on boarding pass. Does same day change only work on award tickets when they are booked through MileagePlus program?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked a United award ticket using Aeroplan. I don't see options for same day change even though star gold status is printed on boarding pass. Does same day change only work on award tickets when they are booked through MileagePlus program?
Same-day change is a waiver of United's change fee on a United-issued ticket. UA can't waive Aeroplan's fees for them. You may be able to standby for an earlier flight at the airport.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Same-day change is a waiver of United's change fee on a United-issued ticket. UA can't waive Aeroplan's fees for them. You may be able to standby for an earlier flight at the airport.
Ouch! I thought SDC was after check-in and it was a fair game. I'm being offered TOD upgrade to business class for $99. Technically, that's also different than what Aeroplan sold me. Guess I'll have to pay $75 to Aeroplan to make this change for me.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ouch! I thought SDC was after check-in and it was a fair game. I'm being offered TOD upgrade to business class for $99. Technically, that's also different than what Aeroplan sold me. Guess I'll have to pay $75 to Aeroplan to make this change for me.
UA could probably make SDC work for partner tickets, but only in limited cases (where no revalidation is required). I made the mistake of trying to SDC on a non-016 ticket and ended up with a reservation that was out of sync and I had to call UA to get back on my original flights.

The TOD upgrade should be fair game, though, as that only requires revalidation. You're still on the same flights, so Aeroplan shouldn't have do anything.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
try SDS, this might work. SDC would re-issue the ticket and that's the problem here. The upgrade is not a problem because UA does not need to touch the ticket at all.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Read over the Wiki and am new to UA, so just running it by to be sure I'm getting it. Flying TPA-IAD-PHL with confirmed ups (1K match). Wanna switch to an earlier TPA-EWR-IAD-PHL (same IAD-PHL flight, but an extra segment plus I'm getting to the airport early regardless due to a friend's flight). Since this is just a change of routing, it's allowed right, even though the last flight is the same? Will I be able to generate the routing online/in-app myself assuming availability for SDC, or will have to call in? Dunno what the app process for SDC looks like and how much input the passenger gets into what options generate.

From what I get here buckets open up, if they open up, anytime between 24-2 hrs prior to the flight, right? So if the right TPA-EWR fare bucket opens within 2 hrs, but EWR-IAD also opens at 2 hrs let's say, does that mean I can't make the change? Or does it open for an itinerary rather than a segment--though I wouldn't think that makes sense?

Sorry for the probably dumb questions.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
try SDS, this might work. SDC would re-issue the ticket and that's the problem here. The upgrade is not a problem because UA does not need to touch the ticket at all.
Gotcha. SDS won't work as this is the first flight in the morning. Going forward, I'd be sure to use Aeroplan miles only when SDC is not expected. I used them to avoid the $75 close booking fee.

Another question: Per Wiki and previous year's thread, all fare classes open up at T Minus 2,3 hrs. That usually doesnt include X award space. Does that mean that 016 award ticket significantly restricts the SDC benefit. Sorry, I've only used SDC on revenue fare and it's been a fantastic feature, just trying to understand if it's sometimes worth paying a bit more on revenue ticket to enjoy greater flexibility with SDC. Eg. I value United miles at 2 cents per mile, I used this metric to determine if I should pay with points Vs. dollars. But I'd be willing to pay a bit more got revenue tickets if I expect to rely on more options in SDC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.