Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com change flight link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
UA opens up all buckets more like 2 hours before departure. It will only happen 24 hours out if the flight is wide open, which PS flights rarely are.
Hmm, thought it was earlier than that.

As to the loads, it feels like they are lighter given how after a long drought, RPUs were once again more readily available.

Though I wonder if they are being more restrictive opening up the buckets because of all the cancellations and delays the p.s. flights are having and they want to keep seats available for misconnects, etc.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
It used to be earlier than that. At one point, it was 4 hours prior to departure. It's been getting shorter and shorter since the merger.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
easy for a couple of days especially hub-to-hub. Would not expect any issues.
Thanks! I will give it a shot. Worst case, I spend an extra day or two at Mom's (and she would consider that to be the best case!). I will report my experiences in this thread.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Originally Posted by Infinite1K

As to the loads, it feels like they are lighter given how after a long drought, RPUs were once again more readily available.

Though I wonder if they are being more restrictive opening up the buckets because of all the cancellations and delays the p.s. flights are having and they want to keep seats available for misconnects, etc.
It used to be earlier than that. At one point, it was 4 hours prior to departure. It's been getting shorter and shorter since the merger.
It was generally 24 hours initially, then 4 hours, and at times it seems as late as somewhere between 2-3 hours now. And it is not unique to PS flights, pretty much system wide.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:53 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
It was generally 24 hours initially, then 4 hours, and at times it seems as late as somewhere between 2-3 hours now. And it is not unique to PS flights, pretty much system wide.
The GS agents have told me (numerous times) that it is three hours. And only if the flight is pretty wide open.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
The GS agents have told me (numerous times) that it is three hours. And only if the flight is pretty wide open.
Thanks all. Sounds like another benefit that has been watered down and cannot be really counted on to be very useful.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by jmanirish
You are quite persistent! (not a criticism). Within 24 hours, you would fall under the SDC rules. So $75 SDC fee (+fare difference if your same fare class isn't open). SDC with first class can be tough though. Because of many factors (small cabins, upgrades, paid upgrades, etc), it's quite frequent that a flight goes F0 before you can SDC into it. In which case you could always downgrade to coach, but then your extra $162 to go to A would be a waste.
I have a TPA - IAH - LAX paid "A" fare that the terms don't include anything about EWR routing not being allowed. Would I qualify for TPA - EWR - LAX in BF if it is available 24 hours before the flight?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 15, 2016 at 5:49 pm Reason: split merged post to move to SDC thread
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fly747first
I have a TPA - IAH - LAX paid "A" fare that the terms don't include anything about EWR routing not being allowed. Would I qualify for TPA - EWR - LAX in BF if it is available 24 hours before the flight?
Probably not allowed by the routing rules, so definitely not on-line or via mobile app. An agent could force it but it would be flagged as an exception and the agent may be asked to explain it.

The routing rules used for SDC seem to be the full fare rules and many fare rules specific disallow PS routings.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're asking the wrong question. It normally won't say that you can't route via XYZ; it'll just list where you can route. For TPA-LAX, a first-class unrestricted fare (fare basis F -- $9291) can be routed, first optionally via PNS/PBI/ORL/MIA/JAX/FMY/FLL, and then by WAS/SFO/HOU/DEN/CHI. Newark's not listed, so it's not a legal route for that TPA-LAX fare (and if it's not legal for that fare, I'm pretty sure it's not legal for any discounted fares. :-)

I've definitely seen the online SDC tools offer routings that aren't valid per the fare rules, but I'd be shocked if that particular option arose.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
You're asking the wrong question. It normally won't say that you can't route via XYZ; it'll just list where you can route. For TPA-LAX, a first-class unrestricted fare (fare basis F -- $9291) can be routed, first optionally via PNS/PBI/ORL/MIA/JAX/FMY/FLL, and then by WAS/SFO/HOU/DEN/CHI. Newark's not listed, so it's not a legal route for that TPA-LAX fare (and if it's not legal for that fare, I'm pretty sure it's not legal for any discounted fares. :-)

I've definitely seen the online SDC tools offer routings that aren't valid per the fare rules, but I'd be shocked if that particular option arose.
Except EWR-LAX/SFO (i.e. PS flights) actually are usually called out as NOT allowed. For example I just pulled up HAA0UPKN for 8/18 TPA-LAX
" THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN EWR
AND LAX."

The other problem you'll run into trying to SDC onto a PS flight is the fare bucket. EWR-LAX/SFO is BF - no 'A' is even offered so no chance app even gives it as an option.

Last edited by jmanirish; Aug 15, 2016 at 2:18 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except EWR-LAX/SFO (i.e. PS flights) actually are usually called out as NOT allowed. For example I just pulled up HAA0UPKN for 8/18 TPA-LAX
" THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN EWR
AND LAX."
Good point, but even if they'd left this language out of the rules for the fare the OP purchased -- he said it didn't say anything about barring travel via EWR in the rules -- the routing rules would still prohibit it.

Now, how you're supposed to know the routing rules without an ExpertFlyer or KVS subscription or a travel agent, I can't tell you. :-)
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Probably not allowed by the routing rules, so definitely not on-line or via mobile app. An agent could force it but it would be flagged as an exception and the agent may be asked to explain it.

The routing rules used for SDC seem to be the full fare rules and many fare rules specific disallow PS routings.
I would be actually SHOCKED if an A fare didn't have the EWR-LAX restriction. I just pulled up a TPA-IAH-LAX in A and it was the HAA0UPKN I posted above.

But it's all a moot point. SDC on the app definitely has been known to not apply routing rules/restrictions. However I've never seen it not apply the fare class restriction. In this case, A will never be available on EWR-LAX because it's not ever sold that way. So you'd have to call up to change to a J/C/D/Z/P and in doing so, the agent definitely will apply the routing rules/restrictions.

It's a mixed fare, I have "A" TPA - IAH and "C" IAH - LAX. Doesn't BF EWR LAX usually have C buckets? I did read carefully and can't find anywhere that says routing via EWR isn't allowed, then again, I don't fly UA much. lol
Ah - you're in an even worse situation than we all guessed. We really should continue this conversation over in the SDC thread.

You likely have what is called a fare break in IAH. Meaning you don't actually have a TPA-LAX fare, you have a TPA-IAH fare combined with a IAH-LAX fare. Most experience on this board shows that SDC won't work without agent intervention (and even then, not likely). Now you *might* be able to SDC from IAH-LAX, to IAH-EWR-LAX, but will only show up once you board (i.e. they scan your BP) in TPA.

Last edited by goalie; Aug 15, 2016 at 2:58 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I would be actually SHOCKED if an A fare didn't have the EWR-LAX restriction. I just pulled up a TPA-IAH-LAX in A and it was the HAA0UPKN I posted above.

But it's all a moot point. SDC on the app definitely has been known to not apply routing rules/restrictions. However I've never seen it not apply the fare class restriction. In this case, A will never be available on EWR-LAX because it's not ever sold that way. So you'd have to call up to change to a J/C/D/Z/P and in doing so, the agent definitely will apply the routing rules/restrictions.

Ah - you're in an even worse situation than we all guessed. We really should continue this conversation over in the SDC thread.

You likely have what is called a fare break in IAH. Meaning you don't actually have a TPA-LAX fare, you have a TPA-IAH fare combined with a IAH-LAX fare. Most experience on this board shows that SDC won't work without agent intervention (and even then, not likely). Now you *might* be able to SDC from IAH-LAX, to IAH-EWR-LAX, but will only show up once you board (i.e. they scan your BP) in TPA.
Thanks! I guess I'm screwed. Oh well, at least it was a really cheap fare.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

Actually, probably not. UA almost never files fares with a C booking code domestically. The only way to get TPA/LAX to book into C is to use an A fare where one of the legs does not have A available (this is a loophole in the secondary booking code algorithm which does not account for the fact that, on two-cabin domestic aircraft, C is nominally superior to A). Technically speaking, if it weren't in violation of both the flight application (fare rules text) and the routing rules, you could apply a TPA-LAX A fare TPA-EWR-LAX with booking codes A and C. This was in fact a great trick that worked a while back before they updated the /UPDI template to move from JFK to EWR.

Either way, you'd have a pretty hard time trying to sell that SDC though.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Just want to make sure I understand the rules WRT to award tix and next day travel.

I frequently have to fly last minute, and I usually use award tix to keep costs reasonable. Say I suddenly need to fly SFO-XXX tomorrow at 5pm. There's a saver award ticket (XN) on the noon flight, but all others are standard awards. There's no way to buy the saver award and SDC right? I'd need XN fare bucket on the 5pm flight, and if that doesn't show, I can't SDC to it.

I should just pony up for the standard award, and then if saver space becomes available cancel and rebook with the free 24 hour change?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.