FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}
Old Aug 15, 2016, 2:18 pm
jmanirish

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
You're asking the wrong question. It normally won't say that you can't route via XYZ; it'll just list where you can route. For TPA-LAX, a first-class unrestricted fare (fare basis F -- $9291) can be routed, first optionally via PNS/PBI/ORL/MIA/JAX/FMY/FLL, and then by WAS/SFO/HOU/DEN/CHI. Newark's not listed, so it's not a legal route for that TPA-LAX fare (and if it's not legal for that fare, I'm pretty sure it's not legal for any discounted fares. :-)

I've definitely seen the online SDC tools offer routings that aren't valid per the fare rules, but I'd be shocked if that particular option arose.
Except EWR-LAX/SFO (i.e. PS flights) actually are usually called out as NOT allowed. For example I just pulled up HAA0UPKN for 8/18 TPA-LAX
" THE FARE COMPONENT MUST NOT INCLUDE TRAVEL BETWEEN EWR
AND LAX."

The other problem you'll run into trying to SDC onto a PS flight is the fare bucket. EWR-LAX/SFO is BF - no 'A' is even offered so no chance app even gives it as an option.

Last edited by jmanirish; Aug 15, 2016 at 2:18 pm Reason: typo