Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com “change flight” link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Platinum say day flight change

Booked a 016 ticket from Vancouver to Miami with a connection in us. First flight is AC metal. Second is united. I wanted to do a same day change to a later flight on the second flight which had fare class availability. There are no other code share connections. I was told you can only do same day change if the entire itinerary is on united metal, ie no partner flights. I can understand that if the itinerary ends with a partner flight, but once the partner portion is complete, why can’t you do a switch on a 016 ticket. Is this accurate?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mauilana
Booked a 016 ticket from Vancouver to Miami with a connection in us. First flight is AC metal. Second is united. I wanted to do a same day change to a later flight on the second flight which had fare class availability. There are no other code share connections. I was told you can only do same day change if the entire itinerary is on united metal, ie no partner flights. I can understand that if the itinerary ends with a partner flight, but once the partner portion is complete, why can’t you do a switch on a 016 ticket. Is this accurate?
Once you board the flight in YVR (and that information is transmitted back to UA), you should be able to do a same-day confirmed change (SDC). If you don't have checked luggage, you can likely do it from the app before departure. If you do have checked luggage, the app won't allow you to do the change, but you can find an agent at your connection airport. You'll need to do so at least one hour before your original connecting flight is scheduled to depart in order to give them time to re-tag your bags.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
UPDATE
I had a 016 ticket from Canada connecting at a united hub to another us destination. I was unable to SDC my second flight even after boarding the AC code shared flight. However, upon landing, the app had fixed itself and I had multiple options. Several were unusual, but would have been great for a mileage run. Ie instead of a quick 500 mile same day connection within the same state, one option was to fly across the country and back the next day. Initially there was no option for a later same day flight, which I wanted, but this appeared after I selected a next day direct flight. No checked bags does appear to be the key to getting full SDC options.

Last edited by mauilana; Jan 18, 2018 at 5:37 am
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
The app absolutely lets you make changes even with checked luggage. It's just not advisable.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mauilana
That usually happens but after boarding in YVR, the app “change flight” takes me to regular united web page with the whole itinerary and price. When I called from plane, mileage plus agent said she can’t process it as itinerary involved a code share.

Here is the rule she referred to.
  • The itinerary must be operated by United or United Express®, and the ticket number must begin with 016.
I'm surprised to hear the app is acting up. They may have broken something recently, but my guess is that maybe AC hadn't communicated your boarding status to UA yet. That would also explain what the agent saw -- that rule shouldn't apply once the AC coupon has been lifted from the record. Try again when you land, I guess?

Originally Posted by aacharya
The app absolutely lets you make changes even with checked luggage. It's just not advisable.
I've never seen an option to change flights on the app after my bag is in UA's possession. I'll have to look for that the next time I check luggage.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Once you board the flight in YVR (and that information is transmitted back to UA), you should be able to do a same-day confirmed change (SDC). If you don't have checked luggage, you can likely do it from the app before departure. If you do have checked luggage, the app won't allow you to do the change, but you can find an agent at your connection airport. You'll need to do so at least one hour before your original connecting flight is scheduled to depart in order to give them time to re-tag your bags.
I think the time depends on the specific hub....I've been told in the past (though haven't tried recently) at ORD it was 2 hours. Either way, technically, once the bag is in the US, it doesn't have to fly on the same flight as the OP....PPBM only applies to international flights.

Finding an agent to do this also isn't a slam dunk. I've had agents who have cited a checked bag as reason to refuse an SDC mid trip (and also, on the phone, other random excuses....one told me I couldn't change it because it caused my connection to change to a stopover, for example, but didn't cite the checked bag). So YMMV.

Originally Posted by aacharya
I have never, ever seen this. Everytime I have checked bags accepted in the system, SDC options disappear. Maybe the system errs every so often (bugs happen: I've been allowed to enter an ETC with a partner flight (but it never ticketed)), but it absolutely isn't supposed to let you.

The clearest piece of evidence: On one trip, I had checked luggage tagged in my name, and wife, on same PNR originally, had no bags. Split at check in to different PNRs for upgrade list. We got the upgrade. Onboard, checked SDC options - wife had ample later non-stops it was allowing her to change to, but wouldn't allow me to SDC. Absent a bug, there is no other reason to account for the difference, and combined with multiple instances of what I described in the first paragraph above, it makes it even clearer.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
Gotcha. SDS won't work as this is the first flight in the morning. Going forward, I'd be sure to use Aeroplan miles only when SDC is not expected. I used them to avoid the $75 close booking fee.

Another question: Per Wiki and previous year's thread, all fare classes open up at T Minus 2,3 hrs. That usually doesnt include X award space. Does that mean that 016 award ticket significantly restricts the SDC benefit. Sorry, I've only used SDC on revenue fare and it's been a fantastic feature, just trying to understand if it's sometimes worth paying a bit more on revenue ticket to enjoy greater flexibility with SDC. Eg. I value United miles at 2 cents per mile, I used this metric to determine if I should pay with points Vs. dollars. But I'd be willing to pay a bit more got revenue tickets if I expect to rely on more options in SDC.
IMO, the higher the fare class, the more likely you'll be able to SDC, especially ahead of time. Would never book X expecting to do SDC. Is it possible? Maybe. But I wouldn't expect it. Fare classes, on the other hand, either way, might never open up, especially since flights, particularly at peak times, are sold out/overbooked.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
I think the time depends on the specific hub....I've been told in the past (though haven't tried recently) at ORD it was 2 hours. Either way, technically, once the bag is in the US, it doesn't have to fly on the same flight as the OP....PPBM only applies to international flights.
Here is the specific quote from the rules: "If you checked baggage on your original flight, you will need to complete any changes at least 60 minutes before your new flight’s departure to allow time for us to move your baggage to the new flight." I agree it has nothing to do with PBBM -- it's probably intended to reduce UA's liability for bag deliveries when someone ends up on an earlier flight than scheduled.

Having said that, re-reading the rule carefully, I notice it actually doesn't say anything about being one hour before your original flight departure -- just one hour before the new flight departure. So, per the rules, you should be able to change to pretty much any later flight. Presumably, they figure your bags will just meet you at your destination in that case.

Finding an agent to do this also isn't a slam dunk. I've had agents who have cited a checked bag as reason to refuse an SDC mid trip (and also, on the phone, other random excuses....one told me I couldn't change it because it caused my connection to change to a stopover, for example, but didn't cite the checked bag). So YMMV.
Agreed -- not all agents are amenable to making changes when there are bags involved. In fact, not all agents are amenable to making changes, period. What's the airport equivalent of HUCA? Walk Around and Try Again? WATA?

I have never, ever seen this. Everytime I have checked bags accepted in the system, SDC options disappear. Maybe the system errs every so often (bugs happen: I've been allowed to enter an ETC with a partner flight (but it never ticketed)), but it absolutely isn't supposed to let you.

The clearest piece of evidence: On one trip, I had checked luggage tagged in my name, and wife, on same PNR originally, had no bags. Split at check in to different PNRs for upgrade list. We got the upgrade. Onboard, checked SDC options - wife had ample later non-stops it was allowing her to change to, but wouldn't allow me to SDC. Absent a bug, there is no other reason to account for the difference, and combined with multiple instances of what I described in the first paragraph above, it makes it even clearer.
This matches my experience as well.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Is the bolded part true? I know pax and bags often fly separately, but I thought a passenger couldn't voluntarily separate himself from his bag(s), such as via SDC.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Is the bolded part true? I know pax and bags often fly separately, but I thought a passenger couldn't voluntarily separate himself from his bag(s), such as via SDC.
Yes. The DOT discussed a pilot program for PPBM in the US in 2002, but it never took off -- either the program was a disaster or the airlines successfully pushed back. The official reasoning is that all bags are x-rayed in the US, so it wasn't seen as being necessary. Mostly, the airlines just warned of the excessive delays that would be caused by domestic PPBM.

If you skip your connecting flight -- voluntarily separating yourself from the bag -- it won't be pulled.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:25 am
Suspended

Interesting; thanks. I can't recall the last time I checked a bag for a strictly domestic trip, but I had thought PPBM had been the rule for a long time.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting; thanks. I can't recall the last time I checked a bag for a strictly domestic trip, but I had thought PPBM had been the rule for a long time.
No problem. A lot of people think the same thing, as there was a huge stink about it post-9/11. The subsequent decision to shelve the program was much quieter.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA1K
as soon as you check bags, SDC disappears. so if it did appears that had to have been a glitch.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... I had thought PPBM had been the rule for a long time.
More here [Consolidated] When does Positive Passenger Bag Match (PPBM) apply to UA flights?
Old Jan 12, 2018, 11:03 pm
Suspended

Thanks. This place has a detailed thread for everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.