Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This wiki was created to distill SDC (and related standby) down to a set of rules in the hopes of benefiting others.

The official "rules" can be found here. In practice, some of the rules almost always apply, and some are more flexible.

Note there have been reports of SDC to one segment removing confirmed CPU upgrades on downline segments. If maintaining the confirmed upgrade is important then these changes should be handled with care.

Most Frequently Asked Question: When do I call/go online to make the change?
Follow this flowchart:
Question 1: Are you within 24 hours of your currently scheduled UA(*) operated flight that you're trying to change off of? If yes, continue to Question 2. If no, continue to answer 1.
Question 2: Are you within 24 hours of the first UA operated flight you're trying to change on to? If yes, continue to to Answer 2. If no, continue to Answer 1.
Answer 1: No, you cannot call/go online yet to make an SDC.
Answer 2: Yes, then you can call/go online to make an SDC.

General Baseline Rules

These are the general rules that usually apply to SDC's; falling outside these rules usually requires payment of a full change fee and the fare difference:
  • The departure time of the first segment of the old itinerary and the departure time of the first segment of the new itinerary must both be within 24 hours of the moment that the change is made.
  • Only applies to UA/UX operated flights, domestic or international. Changing from a non-UA operated to UA operated may be possible.
  • The ultimate origin and destination airports must remain the same.
  • Routing can be changed (addition, deletion, or change of connection points) but the routing rules of the original fare usually apply.
  • All remaining unflown segments in single fared itinerary are considered together (i.e., if you're flying WWW-XXX-YYY-ZZZ, you can go to a kiosk at XXX and potentially fly XXX-AAA-ZZZ or XXX-ZZZ direct).
  • SDC can be done an unlimited number of times, and can therefore be used to extend a trip indefinitely (pending availability).
  • SDC costs $75 for Members and Silvers - the fee is waived for Golds and up (plus any applicable fare difference, see below). *G's may also get free SDC, although there is no mention of this in the official rules. Once in-route, fees for an earlier connecting flight may be waived per GG SDC Line 118.
  • Non-elites on the same PNR benefit from any waived fees for SDC.
  • No fare difference is charged so long as there is availability on all of the new segments in the originally ticketed fare class. Fare class availability in all classes often opens up after T-24 and almost always opens up at T-3 unless the plane is very full.
  • SDC on bulk tickets, including United Specials, is not permitted.
  • SDC is permitted on both domestic and international itineraries.

How to SDC

SDC can be accomplished in a few different places (in rough order of likelihood of being able to get the rules bent):
  • United mobile app
  • Kiosk
  • Phone
  • On united.com, right now only the "Search Other Flight Options" button during On-Line Check-In (OLCI) works. This has spotty availability, particularly if the change would involve paying an additional fare due to fare bucket non-availability.
  • Counter/Gate (although reports are that most airport agents are not familiar with the SDC policy and may not allow you to SDC to a valid itinerary--you can try to direct them to look up GG SDC, but they often won't understand that what you're trying to do is permitted by those rules)
Please note that the United.com change flight link before checking in within T-24, is broken. The website may not show all available options and will often attempt to collect the change fee rather than the SDC fee (if any).

NB: An SDC where the original itinerary (in one direction) has three or more segments cannot be done online.

Nuances and Loose Rules

Now for the hard part: figuring out where the flexibility is in the rules. This list is compiled from the responses to people saying "Can I do X?" where X is something that is not clearly permitted by the rules. One's likelihood of success here depends a bit on the method used for the SDC.

For each item, the following codes apply:
Y = officially permitted and possible using any method
A = not permitted but perhaps possible using an agent (phone/counter), perhaps having to HUACA
A* = mixed reports of success with an agent (phone/counter),
N* = possible only if you find a very accommodating agent
N = little or no reported success.
  • Violating various non-routing fare rules (day/time, minimum stay, etc.): Y
  • Change destination to ultra-close airport (see the old S*FAR/STANDBY): A
  • Change destination to a co-terminal: N*
  • Change destination to an entirely different place: N
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to include illegal layovers (> 4 hours): N*
  • Change itinerary at the layover point (using kiosk, app, or agent) to create an otherwise illegal layover: Y
  • Change itinerary at the beginning to add a layover point not permitted by the routing rules: N*
  • Change itinerary at a layover point to add another layover not permitted (either in terms of number of segments or routing rules) by the routing rules: Y
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before or after the original flight: N*
  • Change to a flight exactly 24 hours before the original flight, if the previous day's flight has been delayed: Y (based on one report)
  • Combining separately-fared segments to do SDC (e.g. XXX-YYY+YYY-ZZZ -> XXX-ZZZ): A
  • Change UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to UA metal: A
  • Change from UA metal to UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: N (see post 1813 for one exception)
  • Change from UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment to a different UA-codeshare, non-UA-metal segment: ??
  • Change on a non-UA ticketed segment: N* (with potential dire consequences)
  • Change from an upgraded flight into Y on the new flight: Y
  • Change from a GPU-upgraded flight into J/F on the new flight: A
  • Change from a CPU-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: N*
  • Change from an instrument-upgraded flight and get confirmed into available R space on the new flight: A*
  • Non-elite on different PNR benefiting from Elite's waived-fee SDC: A
  • Change at origin airport after tendering a checked bag: N
  • Change at layover airport when a bag has been checked: N

If you encounter issues with an agent (phone or counter/gate), you can ask the agent to reference GG SDC. Additionally, GG SDC line 61 specifically references that fare classes are supposed to level out 3.5 hours before departure, so you might be able to use that to your advantage if fare classes have not leveled out and you're trying to ask an agent to open up the correct inventory or force you onto the flight.

Note -- as of 11/27/2017: A datapoint indicates that UA may have updated its GG rule regarding leveling out to state the following:

Code:
EVERYDAY AWARD AND REVENUE BUCKETS ARE TO LEVEL OUT WITHIN 2H OF DEPARTURE
Standby
You may stand by if seats are not available in the purchased fare class. In these cases, the same-day change fee will apply, but will not be charged unless you are assigned a seat on your alternate flight. Changes in routing are not allowed when standing by. Standby may be requested on the day of departure at an airport kiosk or with a United representative at the airport. Once you are added to the flight standby list, you can check your real-time standby status at united.com/flightstatus or on your mobile device at mobile.united.com/info.

Instead of paying a same-day change discounted fee, can I stand by for my desired flight for free?
No. The only time you may standby for free is when the fare does not have any penalties for making changes, or when standing by involuntarily due to a flight irregularity.

Can I pay the same-day change discount fee with cash?
Cash will only be accepted by a United airport representative when the change is available to be confirmed, not for standby travel.

original posting by mgcsinc, initiated by jackal

Previous threads:
UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions *now with WikiPost* {pre-2015 Archive}
Print Wikipost

UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}

Old Nov 2, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by mathprof
I flew HNL-SFO-LAX last March and did a SDC for the second SFO-LAX leg after landing in SFO a little early. Had a little over an hour before an earlier SFO-LAX flight was scheduled to leave and did a change on the app. No charge, had platinum status at the time.
Direct flight?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
absolutely doable. Either while en route on leg 1 if you get lucky on the app or once you get to SFO. An agent should be able to SDC/SDS you on an earlier flight to LAX.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Hi All

Lots of good information from handles I trust. Thank you.

Originally Posted by findark
The general feature is that you can't route p.s. on BOS/LAX per the fare rules, and these direct P fares are taking advantage of a fare template which forgot to exclude SFO-BOS (since the routing rules don't allow it), and also require travel which is not nonstop. However, technically flying LAX-SFO-BOS as a direct flight routes as LAX-BOS and is not nonstop.
The direct flight fare was quite a bit cheaper versus any other p.s. option. This adds some additional clarification.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Hi All

Lots of good information from handles I trust. Thank you.

The direct flight fare was quite a bit cheaper versus any other p.s. option. This adds some additional clarification.

A prior poster in this thread tried to SDC on the exact same 'direct flight' (but in reverse) and couldn't get it done.

See:
Post 734
Post 743
Old Nov 3, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I have an upcoming direct flight BOS-SFO-LAX in P. I tried to have the segments split but it would increase the fare so I left it alone. There is a 3 hour layover in SFO and I would like to SDC to an earlier SFO-LAX. Is that possible? I'm thinking no, but once I arrive in SFO will an agent have a problem placing me on standby at that point?

Also, any chance I can SDC to BOS-EWR-LAX?
Once you reach SFO, you will not be able to SDC. I've tried many times and it's ever worked - your BOS-LAX coupon has already been lifted at BOS, and there's nothing for the agent to revalidate for the earlier SFO-LAX.

Even IRROPS are a struggle at the intermediate point of a direct flight.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:53 pm

What would be the routing rules between BWI-IAH-EWR in P? The only restrictions I see listed, are the premium transcons. So would SDC to DEN or LAX be no problem?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
What would be the routing rules between BWI-IAH-EWR in P? The only restrictions I see listed, are the premium transcons. So would SDC to DEN or LAX be no problem?
A little confused.. you have a single ticket (same day): BWI-IAH-EWR? I think this requires a fare break in IAH, as even full F requires nonstop BWI-EWR.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:07 pm

A little confused.. you have a single ticket (same day): BWI-IAH-EWR? I think this requires a fare break in IAH, as even full F requires nonstop BWI-EWR.
Indeed I do.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Indeed I do.
BWI/IAH and IAH/EWR both require nonstop travel on discount fares. Full F allows BWI-CHI/EWR/WAS-HOU and HOU-WAS/CHI-EWR.

Generally you cannot remove or avoid the fare break in IAH by SDC, and I think getting to DEN or LAX will be a little challenging; however the app does strange things.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:23 pm

BWI/IAH and IAH/EWR both require nonstop travel on discount fares. Full F allows BWI-CHI/EWR/WAS-HOU and HOU-WAS/CHI-EWR.

Generally you cannot remove or avoid the fare break in IAH by SDC, and I think getting to DEN or LAX will be a little challenging; however the app does strange things.
I didn't want to remove IAH at all. Rather SDC on my way too or after. I'll definitely check what the app/kiosk offers me.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I didn't want to remove IAH at all. Rather SDC on my way too or after. I'll definitely check what the app/kiosk offers me.
I would estimate you're most likely to pick up an extra segment if you are changing at IAH. You may not even have any options offered at BWI. Curious to hear how you make out, though.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: IB+ Emerald (Platino), M&M Senator (Gold), Meli Rewards Platino, NH Platinum
Hi.
Does ORD-MCO (in P) require a non stop flight or can it be SDC-ed to ORD-EWR/IAD/DEN/IAH-MCO?

Thanks
Old Nov 5, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Question: if I have a flight that's departing Spain to Newark at 10:40 AM and I would like to do same-day change to the flight the day before at 10:40 AM is that possible because it's exactly 24 hours? If so , What strategy would you use to execute? Thanks and safe travels
Old Nov 5, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Question: if I have a flight that's departing Spain to Newark at 10:40 AM and I would like to do same-day change to the flight the day before at 10:40 AM is that possible because it's exactly 24 hours? If so , What strategy would you use to execute? Thanks and safe travels
No, it is not possible, because by the time it's within 24 hours of your scheduled departure, your desired flight will already be closed. You can call and ask, but expect the answer to be 'no.'

If the flight the day before is delayed sufficiently, it becomes possible.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Ive gotten airport agents to give me free sameday standby at the checkin counter at T-26, but never have gotten a phone agent to do SDC or SDS. You can go to the airport but theres a risk theyll charge you fare difference & change fee if applicable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.