Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.​
Print Wikipost

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
UA869 SFO to HKG passengers asked to deplane

After boarding most of the passengers, we were asked to pick up our personal belongings and deplane so they could re secure the cabin. That's a first for me (resecure).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
What does re-secure the cabin even mean? Did they have to re-screen you?

When I was flying out of Santa Barbara once some guy walked over to the chain link fence and kissed his baby and wife good bye. That means the entire plane had to all go back in and out of security and re-screen. Luckily it was a small plane.
Old May 14, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Globalist
Security Issue on UA607

Sitting at the gate for 50 min now after some passenger boarded the plane then got off to "look for his wallet". Apparently he never returned. Anyone know what the policy is in a situation like this? Not clear if we can take off now...

Update: after an hour we are all getting off the plane so they can conduct a "security sweep"...

Last edited by EWRSEA; May 14, 2015 at 7:12 pm
Old May 14, 2015, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EWRSEA
Sitting at the gate for 50 min now after some passenger boarded the plane then got off to "look for his wallet". Apparently he never returned. Anyone know what the policy is in a situation like this? Not clear if we can take off now...
Well, pax who got off should have been offloaded if he came out of the jetway and passed the podium. If he was running to try and find his wallet, doubtful that happened.

I'm not sure of the policy, but given UA needs to have an accurate manifest, if they can't figure out which passenger left the aircraft, to have him offloaded before closing, don't know if they are legally supposed to leave.

Presumably, if someone could identify him by seat #, perhaps they could figure this out, try and page him to the front of the aircraft, and if he doesn't show, just offload him and depart. If they don't know who it is, short of him returning, I think the only other way to do it is to offload the entire plane, then reboard everyone to make that determination, which of course, takes its own time. And if he doesn't show up and has checked bags, if its an international flight, they'll have to find/pull his bags.

I actually had a similar situation once on AC - boarded the plane and realized I left my laptop in the gate area. In that case, the agent stopped me, and offloaded me. Thankfully, I was out for less than a minute - laptop was still in the gate area.
Old May 14, 2015, 7:26 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I hope they cancel his ticket, if not bill him for the delay and cost.
Old May 14, 2015, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Departed 2.5h late.
Old May 14, 2015, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I wouldn't be surprised if they decided they needed to pull his bags, international flight or not. Otherwise, this would be a loophole to introduce something bad onto the plane.
Old May 14, 2015, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If someone had access to the aircraft and then decided not to fly, shouldn't the entire aircraft inferior be searched as well as any checked bags being pulled before the flight reboards and leaves?
Old May 14, 2015, 9:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
So no faith in our top notch TSA staff? He is coming from a secure area. Why not empty the entire concourse? #securitytheatre
Old May 14, 2015, 9:20 pm

Security Issue on UA607

There is probably more to this story.

FAB
Old May 15, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Bad spelling

Originally Posted by kluau88
4/21 UA 218 HNL-ORD (N117UA) cancelled due to aircraft maintenance.

Looks like this bird has been stuck in HNL since then and they will ferry it out today.

4/24 UA 2200 HNL-SFO 0800 - 1548
Today's flight from EWR to HNL delayed 4 + hours due to Maintenance. This aircraft arrived at EWR at noon yesterday. I crossed 100 K for this year last week and I estimate >50% of my trips have included cancellations or multi- hour delays. One time it took three days to get from Boston to Okinawa (3 unplanned ON delays). What do you do with a dozen customer compensation certificates? Can they be combined? We return on Sunday night so every hour at HNL is important to us.

Last edited by nigos; May 15, 2015 at 2:58 am Reason: Flight not correctly identified
Old May 15, 2015, 10:42 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by freshairborne

FAB
Flight status shows returned to gate and then "delayed due to aircraft preparation" (Arrived Gate 1 Hour 43 Minutes Late)
Old May 15, 2015, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by freshairborne

FAB
Classic ORD-EWR flight, every seat filled and 70+ people on the upgrade list. We finish boarding and then this guy from the back of the plane says something to his seatmate about leaving his wallet off the plane and he gets up and walks off. Not quite sure what happened at the jetway, but clearly they knew who the passenger was by the only empty set on the flight. They realized that he had a friend on the flight somehow and they tried to call the guy to sort out what was happening. After no sign of the guy and no answer they waited an hour then pulled all of the passengers off the plane along with the cabin luggage. Not sure if they pulled the luggage off underneath. No signs of TSA, no signs of Police, no signs of search dogs. Best guess is the crew walked the cabin and decided it was safe after we got off. Not exactly the signs of security I was expecting. Overheard two flight attendants saying they have never had to deal with this specific situation before. Sure glad united trusted our safety to their experience.

They are supposed to be conducting a "security sweep" of the plane while we are all standing around the terminal. Suddenly the pilot walks off holding a phone asking if it belongs to anyone. Needless to say when no one claimed it right away the crowd got a bit concerned.... Eventually the passenger who lost his phone returned to the gate area and claimed it.

About 90 min into this whole exercise, guess who walks up and starts talking to his buddy.... yup, the missing passenger. He is telling his friend that he got rescheduled on an earlier flight since ours was delayed. Sure glad united's computer system allowed him to do that. The crowd starts yelling at the guy to go to the counter so we can all get the heck out of there. He talks to them for a while, all united employees, no sign of TSA anywhere.

They decide that we can all board (but not the missing passenger). The gate was chaos with people all piled up at the gate and multiple gate agents talking with people. The plane is filling up quickly, I'm in my usual 20C and the flight attendant is standing next to me when a passenger who is carrying several bags comes up to her from the back of the plane and tells her he is supposed to be on a flight to IAD !! So much for the gate scanner catching that. Needless to say there are another 30 people or so still lined up and boarding in the plane when we hear a frantic message from the front telling the flight we are heading to EWR and if you are going to IAD that you are on the wrong plane. They stop the boarding line so the guy can get back off the plane. Glad to see that their security is working soooo well. Later the flight attendant gets on the PA to say we know that there was a wrong passenger on the plane and that they caught it right away and the gate agent came right down to the plane to fix it. Pretty funny how the guy was at the back of the plane with a long line of people behind him when they made their announcement. Their idea of right away and my idea of right away clearly are two different things...

Finally we pull from the gate 2 hrs after scheduled departure and start taxiing to the runway. Suddenly the pilot gets on the PA and announces that the there is an issue with the "performance numbers?" of the aircraft and they need to sort it out. We pull off to the side and wait another 15 mins. Sure glad United has our back. Finally we take off.

When we landed at EWR after midnight, as usual there is no one there to marshal into the gate, so yet another delay. Thanks United for staffing EWR so well for late arriving aircraft.

First of all kudos to the pilot and the flight attendants for trying to keep us informed and for dealing with all of the rude people on the plane. Quite a few of the passengers were downright nasty. Safety of the aircraft and passengers are their responsibility and they mostly did it right. As for United, they failed this MM. The little faith I had in their systems and procedures clearly proved it is all window dressing.

No email today from them apologizing for the chaos that they created. I just got the automatic email a few minutes ago that said " We are sorry that your flight was delayed on 5/14/2015. Your feedback about how we took care of you is important to us, so please take a moment and complete our brief survey." I figured I would share how they took care of me with them, but also with the readers of Flyertalk too...
Old May 15, 2015, 5:31 pm

I know it sucked for you... but that's just classic! Unfortunately there's no good way to prepare for that one. The other option is to take the hard line and make him stay on board, but then we'd have 5 posts a day complaining about that policy.

The guy who delayed the flight managing to leave first is a new one though... I like to think there's a special place in hell for people who are so oblivious to the effects of their actions, but they probably wouldn't notice they're there anyway.
Old May 15, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
The fact that the passenger causing the delay rebooked himself on an earlier flight is just too ridiculous. What a jackalope.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.