Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
If you need documentation of delay / cancellation for trip insurance or refunds from hotel / tour / .... operator, try this
Verification letters
Upon request, we can provide a statement of proof that a United flight was delayed or canceled. You may email your request to [email protected]. Be sure to include the names of all customers in your party, confirmation number, flight numbers and dates of travel, phone contact and the email address or mailing address where you would like it sent. Please allow 5-10 business days for processing.​
Print Wikipost

Consolidated cancelled/delayed domestic flights [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I am fairly certain when the brakes are released the message in ACARS reflects the aircraft has left the gate and then the website will say taxiing to runway.

Similarly when the brake is set on arrival the aircraft has "arrived". It might take you 45 min to get off the plane but it parked and arrived when the brake is locked.

Keep in mind these status changes not only update the website, but they impact crew compensation. Crew is paid from brake release to brake set. All that time before they close the door and when they say "buh-bye" there is no compensation.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Oh and "departed" is wheels up and "landed" is wheels down and this is also automated via ACARS messaging.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
Wife in on UA371 from EWR-SEA...status says 'Departed, taxiing to runway', but she says they are still at the gate loading luggage (or something to that effect)...can they say they have 'departed' in this circumstance?
Expert Flyer showed they departed the gate at 1746, one hour late, and are due into Seattle at 2053, some 54 mins late. I retrieved that info just 10 mins ago.

I just went back and checked again before posting and the time has changed to 2217 now.

In the interim I checked Flightstats.com and it shows the same 1746 departure but an estimated arrival at 2217. That prompted me to go back to Expert Flyer where I noticed they've changed to 2217, too.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by tom911
Expert Flyer showed they departed the gate at 1746, one hour late, and are due into Seattle at 2053, some 54 mins late. I retrieved that info just 10 mins ago.

I just went back and checked again before posting and the time has changed to 2217 now.

In the interim I checked Flightstats.com and it shows the same 1746 departure but an estimated arrival at 2217. That prompted me to go back to Expert Flyer where I noticed they've changed to 2217.
My wife texted me well after 5:46 and said there was an issue loading luggage on the plane. The time makes zero sense.

Looking at the map, there is a lot of weather they would be flying through approaching. If I were a betting person this is going to be a long night.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:35 pm

My wife texted me well after 5:46 and said there was an issue loading luggage on the plane. The time makes zero sense.
Could be they closed the door and pulled back the ramp at 1746, while still loading bags. Ask her when she lands and let us know.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:42 pm

Could be they closed the door and pulled back the ramp at 1746, while still loading bags. Ask her when she lands and let us know.
That'll be a fun discussion for sure.

Also, the 7:01 PM EWR-SEA took off 20 minutes late...the 4:45 PM is still on the ground. I don't understand how they can let a flight that (ostensibly) departs later go first...

ETA: the dude I spoke to on the hotline told me that the 7:01 PM plane was on the ground, even though the website and app clearly show that's it has traveled from EWR. Clowns. Completely destroys her weekend (and costs her basically several hours she could have been doing work). Being stuck on a POS A320 with no power on top of it.

Last edited by PsiFighter37; Jun 12, 2015 at 5:59 pm
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:16 pm

Update: they went back to the gate to get new flight plan + more fuel (guess you burn quite a bit when you diddle around doing nothing). Flight delayed 4+ hours at this point.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:32 pm

Blame the weather around Newark or en route from Newark. Not sure I'd blame UA if ATC is not letting them promptly take off. Your bigger worry now might be if the crew times out, particularly if they started somewhere else this morning. Airport shows 40 min arrival delays due to thunderstorms plus this:

General Departure Delays: Due to TM Initiatives:SWAP:WX, traffic is experiencing Gate Hold and Taxi delays between 30 minutes and 44 minutes in length and decreasing.
"SWAP" stands for severe weather avoidance plan.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:38 pm

Blame the weather around Newark or en route from Newark. Not sure I'd blame UA if ATC is not letting them promptly take off. Your bigger worry now might be if the crew times out, particularly if they started somewhere else this morning. Airport shows 40 min arrival delays due to thunderstorms plus this:

"SWAP" stands for severe weather avoidance plan.
Yeah, it sounds like the new flight plan is for weather.

If they cancel the flight for some reason, though, the itinerary is basically dead...there's one nonstop EWR-SEA tomorrow, and it's in the afternoon. Wholly pointless to fly out for less than 24 hours.

Perhaps if they're back at the gate, there is another crew they could swap in if needed?

And they're still off the plane 15 minutes after 'estimated' departure time. I really do hate UA's nonsensical estimates when delays come into play.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:44 pm

If they cancel the flight for some reason, though, the itinerary is basically dead...there's one nonstop EWR-SEA tomorrow, and it's in the afternoon. Wholly pointless to fly out for less than 24 hours.
Maybe not. There is a 2159 EWR-DEN if it gets out, and then an a.m. DEN-SEA at 0757 with arrival at 0952, but you'll likely need to be proactive and ask for those ( and it looks like it's down to one seat in F DEN-SEA). Even a 0600 DEN-SEA on Alaska with lots of seats. Just depends how badly the traveler needs to be there and if she is doing carry-on.

As to getting another crew, you'll just have to wait and see if they cancel or not. Imagine that decision will be made pretty soon.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:56 pm

Maybe not. There is a 2159 EWR-DEN if it gets out, and then an a.m. DEN-SEA at 0757 with arrival at 0952, but you'll likely need to be proactive and ask for those ( and it looks like it's down to one seat in F DEN-SEA). Even a 0600 DEN-SEA on Alaska with lots of seats. Just depends how badly the traveler needs to be there and if she is doing carry-on.

As to getting another crew, you'll just have to wait and see if they cancel or not. Imagine that decision will be made pretty soon.
Would be all carry-on (I have most of her clothes, so she probably doesn't even have an overhead bag). Can't really pull the trigger on changes yet until there is definitive cancellation. Departure time now 9:05 PM...
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:18 pm

Departed at 2116 with a 0026 scheduled arrival.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:18 pm

Departed at 2116 with a 0026 scheduled arrival.
Yep, they took off 5-10 minutes before the crew timed out. Flying one of the weirder routings I've seen
Old Jun 12, 2015, 10:42 pm

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
The saga of UA 3869 EWR-PVD tonight - we were supposed to depart at 10:29 PM, but the plane (Q400) was over an hour late coming in from GSO. After the inbound flight deplaned, everyone lined up to board, but the gate agent disappeared shortly thereafter (and hasn't been seen since). A crew of mechanics then surrounded the nose gear and began inspecting it, and then disappeared for another 20 minutes or so. Meanwhile, up here in the terminal, we did not get any information at all in person since there is no gate agent, but my text messages kept blowing up as the departure time kept getting pushed back and back... Eventually the captain came up and did an absolutely fantastic job of fielding inquiries from fellow pax. He was noncommittal as to whether or not the flight would take place tonight, but he also urged us to contact United and let them know how unacceptable the situation was in terms of the lack of a gate agent.

As of right now (12:40 AM ET), 5 mechanics are working on the nose gear, although typically, only 1 of them is actually doing any kind of work while the other 4 are standing around and staring...the captain said their crew duty time is not an issue until 5 AM, but he said he would probably not wait that long before he and the f/o would be too exhausted to go...
Old Jun 13, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by N674UW
The saga of UA 3869 EWR-PVD tonight - we were supposed to depart at 10:29 PM, but the plane (Q400) was over an hour late coming in from GSO. After the inbound flight deplaned, everyone lined up to board, but the gate agent disappeared shortly thereafter (and hasn't been seen since). A crew of mechanics then surrounded the nose gear and began inspecting it, and then disappeared for another 20 minutes or so. Meanwhile, up here in the terminal, we did not get any information at all in person since there is no gate agent, but my text messages kept blowing up as the departure time kept getting pushed back and back... Eventually the captain came up and did an absolutely fantastic job of fielding inquiries from fellow pax. He was noncommittal as to whether or not the flight would take place tonight, but he also urged us to contact United and let them know how unacceptable the situation was in terms of the lack of a gate agent.

As of right now (12:40 AM ET), 5 mechanics are working on the nose gear, although typically, only 1 of them is actually doing any kind of work while the other 4 are standing around and staring...the captain said their crew duty time is not an issue until 5 AM, but he said he would probably not wait that long before he and the f/o would be too exhausted to go...
Flightaware shows that this flight did end up cancelled. It shows the final planned departure time at 1:40AM. And this flight was also cancelled on June 9.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.