Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 7, 2022, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Thia is a archive thread, the active tread is UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Thanks! Very helpful.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Basically yes -- see the thread's wiki for exceptions

Allow 10-15 minutes of extra time in case the agent is unfamiliar with this process
And if the agent WAS unfamiliar with the process... Then what?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 9, 2018 at 5:02 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by pkerr
And if the agent WAS unfamiliar with the process... Then what?
Keep pushing - there is almost always someone who knows how to do it... or they can call their support to get it done.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Global321
Keep pushing - there is almost always someone who knows how to do it... or they can call their support to get it done.
Yes, and at an outstation like STL, they may have to call support.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 8:15 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, and at an outstation like STL, they may have to call support.
I have done this many times at STL without a problem. You may have to tell them how to do it (see last few posts of other thread).
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:50 am

And while we are on the subject... what's the recommendation for bag checking? I can check the bag all the way through but then there's that pesky 6 hour wait. Bags get set aside and misplaced? Maybe I should pick them up and check them in a SQ myself? I wonder what time SQ opens for check in? 2:00 for a 7:10 departure?

Moderator note: Poster is traveling a separate domestic ticket, then departing IAH-MAN on SQ

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 11, 2018 at 12:15 pm Reason: moved to master thread
Old Nov 11, 2018, 10:58 am
Suspended

Actually, if it’s not booked on one ticket, you likely will not be able to check the baggage through.

You will need to pick it up at IAH, lug it to SQ check-in and recheck it.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
And while we are on the subject... what's the recommendation for bag checking? I can check the bag all the way through but then there's that pesky 6 hour wait. Bags get set aside and misplaced? Maybe I should pick them up and check them in a SQ myself? I wonder what time SQ opens for check in? 2:00 for a 7:10 departure?
Check your luggage all the way. You don't want to waste time waiting for your luggage and then rechecking it. That would also mean that you have to go through security again. You are better off enjoying more time in the Polaris Lounge. And then if the weather is really bad and your first flight is delayed you would be worried about having to deal with your checked bag.

But I usually do have a change of clothes in my carry on luggage. For if....

Since both flights are on Star Alliance, they should be able to check your luggage all the way but it does take some additional time so don't show up at the airport at the last minute.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Check your luggage all the way. You don't want to waste time waiting for your luggage and then rechecking it. That would also mean that you have to go through security again. You are better off enjoying more time in the Polaris Lounge. And then if the weather is really bad and your first flight is delayed you would be worried about having to deal with your checked bag.

But I usually do have a change of clothes in my carry on luggage. For if....

Since both flights are on Star Alliance, they should be able to check your luggage all the way but it does take some additional time so don't show up at the airport at the last minute.
Thanks. So you don't think that 6 hours between flights could be an issue?
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by cslovacek
Actually, if it’s not booked on one ticket, you likely will not be able to check the baggage through.

You will need to pick it up at IAH, lug it to SQ check-in and recheck it.
UA will very often check bags through on separate tickets, particularly *A partners. I once had a UA agent work for 20 minutes to get one working for me when connecting from UA to TG from SFO-SIN to Thailand because of some difficulty on the TG side.

The other problem with having to pick up your bags and recheck is that OP will have to sit landside and wait until SQ check-in opens, which is probably 3 to 3 1/2 hours prior to flight time.

By all means ask the STL agents to check you all the way through. I'm also on the side of taking the earlier flight rather than risking a connection on separate tickets. The consequences of missing the connection could very likely be huge.

Not at all.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 11:33 am

I wouldn't worry about this. You may be able to track your bags via the UA app, in case you need peace of mind. BTW, do you have status with UA? Will you be flying the STL-IAH segment in UA F or in economy? The baggage limits may be different. Not sure if UA will accommodate SQ J liberal limits if the STL-IAH is in economy.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 12:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This just increases your risks, and adds time to transfering at IAH

Originally Posted by cslovacek
Actually, if it’s not booked on one ticket, you likely will not be able to check the baggage through. ...
No problem interlining basg from UA to *A partner as long as the conditions in the wiki are meet. Should be an issue in this case but allow 10-15 minutes extra check-in
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:57 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
On a multi-PNR flew UA to SFO in Y then SQ to Singapore and finally Australia in J. UA*S and SQ*G. Had an 8h layover.

Bag was tagged to final destination without much trouble.

SQ received a damaged bag from UA. An agent before checkin (handling company, not SQ representative showed me a photo of my luggage with its lock broken, wrapped in UA, not TSA or CATSA or Customs tape). Obviously didn’t check it in like this.

Who do I file the damaged bag claim with at my final destination... UA or SQ?

Last edited by shuuy; Nov 13, 2018 at 1:07 am
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shuuy
Who do I file the damaged bag claim with at my final destination... UA or SQ?
SQ. The responsibility always lies with the final delivering carrier. They'll follow up with UA to recoup their losses.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
SQ. The responsibility always lies with the final delivering carrier. They'll follow up with UA to recoup their losses.
Even if separate PNRs?
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shuuy
Even if separate PNRs?
Yes. An interline baggage agreement doesn't say anything about single vs. multiple tickets. As soon as SQ accepted the bag from UA, they were on the hook for baggage resolution.

Given the evidence in your possession, you might be able to get UA to help you out if SQ refuses, but in my opinion you're overthinking matters. Let SQ deal with UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.