Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
There have been some reports that UA *Gs may be able to request interline across two seperate tickets in the case of a MP partner (like EI) and some other airlines, YMMV
Reporting back, I was able to check bags through on a separate ticket Aer Lingus "connecting" flight today (non *A partner). It only took 5 min at ORD check-in desk and the agent knew exactly what to do. 1K, ORD-LHR UA J//LHR-SNN EI Y.

Now to find out if I can access the LHR UC in addition to the arrivals lounge.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UndercoverOscarMunoz
... Now to find out if I can access the LHR UC in addition to the arrivals lounge.
Arriving LHR on UA polaris, should be no issue. probably just stay at UC
Old Jul 10, 2022, 1:48 am

Flying J MXP-EWR booked on miles, have a revenue Y EWR-SFO booked 4 hrs later. Will United “connect” the tickets and allow my check-in through to SFO for free? I understand I will still need to get to get my baggage at EWR since that is my first point of entry back in US

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2022 at 7:14 am Reason: Moved to subject thread
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
UA can check baggage through on two separate UA tickets.

The reservations themselves, however, will not be "connected". Each will remain a separate passenger name record (PNR), with its own unique record locator and ticket number.

Be sure to allow extra time at check-in to accomplish this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 10, 2022 at 7:13 am Reason: cleanup after merge; thanks for the link
Old Jul 10, 2022, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer

The reservations themselves, however, will not be "connected". Each will remain a separate passenger name record (PNR), with its own unique record locator and ticket number.

Be sure to allow extra time at check-in to accomplish this.
thank you! Even though the baggage can be through-check, do you (or anyone) know if I will be paying the $30 for the second flight since checked bags are only free on the polaris flight? Just wanted to know what to expect, dont mind paying but if my polaris flight would cover it, even better.

(And thank you mods for moving the question).
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by travelbugging
thank you! Even though the baggage can be through-check, do you (or anyone) know if I will be paying the $30 for the second flight since checked bags are only free on the polaris flight? Just wanted to know what to expect, dont mind paying but if my polaris flight would cover it, even better.

(And thank you mods for moving the question).
You will not be paying anything. Once tagged through to SFO at MXP, you'll just do a bag drop at EWR after customs/immigration. You won't need to go to a check-in counter at EWR.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Flying J MXP-EWR booked on miles, have a revenue Y EWR-SFO booked 4 hrs later. Will United “connect” the tickets and allow my check-in through to SFO for free? I understand I will still need to get to get my baggage at EWR since that is my first point of entry back in US
and don't forget to spend your 4 hours in the Polaris lounge
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Flying J MXP-EWR booked on miles, have a revenue Y EWR-SFO booked 4 hrs later. Will United “connect” the tickets and allow my check-in through to SFO for free?
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
It can theoretically be done, but it's much harder than checking bags through on a partner. I'm pretty sure UA uses contract agents at MXP (perhaps LH?), which makes it even less certain that this can be done.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It can theoretically be done, but it's much harder than checking bags through on a partner. I'm pretty sure UA uses contract agents at MXP (perhaps LH?), which makes it even less certain that this can be done.
That said, I suspect you’d be able to get them re-checked for no charge at EWR (but I’d ask about it at MXP anyway).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kacee
Other Star carriers using contracted ground agents at MXP didn’t give me any major problem with thru-checking my luggage across separately-ticketed flights as long as all the flights are on Star Alliance carriers — whether or not it’s all on one carrier or across Star Alliance carriers.

I’ve had more problems with this for UA-UA originating out of the US than when UA-UA originating out of Europe, Asia and South America.

Originally Posted by jsloan
That said, I suspect you’d be able to get them re-checked for no charge at EWR (but I’d ask about it at MXP anyway).
The “no charge” thing has been a YMMV situation for me at LGA and EWR when I didn’t get the bags thru-checked across separate tickets by the Star Alliance carrier agents outside of the US.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 13, 2022 at 12:52 am
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Mariott, Hertz Presidents Circle
What's the board's take on this one and chance of getting my bagged interlined? Flying EWR-HNL in J on UA, then HNL-KOA on HA (same day, 2 hour connection time). The HNL-KOA ticket is a separate ticket, but the return (KOA-HNL) is on the same reservation (booked through UA) as HNL-EWR. I know that HA is an interline partner and codeshare partner (hence return on same res), but not a *A partner. I plan on getting to EWR early to see if the TA can do it. Any thoughts?

Last edited by COmciUA; Jul 13, 2022 at 10:06 am Reason: Added cabin
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by COmciUA
What's the board's take on this one and chance of getting my bagged interlined? Flying EWR-HNL in J on UA, then HNL-KOA on HA (same day, 2 hour connection time). The HNL-KOA ticket is a separate ticket….
The policy is “no”, but worth a try (mention you have HA is same ticket for return). If you’re not successful, HA will collect bag fees at HNL (unless you’re in HA First). No UA status allowance or privileges. Same on return - HA will not recognize UA status.
uanj likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by COmciUA
What's the board's take on this one and chance of getting my bagged interlined? Flying EWR-HNL in J on UA, then HNL-KOA on HA (same day, 2 hour connection time). The HNL-KOA ticket is a separate ticket, but the return (KOA-HNL) is on the same reservation (booked through UA) as HNL-EWR. I know that HA is an interline partner and codeshare partner (hence return on same res), but not a *A partner. I plan on getting to EWR early to see if the TA can do it. Any thoughts?
What IAH-OIL-TRASH said ... with the reminder that the outbound is NT a connection. It's two separate tickets. Also, generally the first carrier collects the bag fees so you may have to pay HA for checked bags on your single-ticket return. (Not sure whether the IATA MSC rules apply since the ticket is wholly within the US)
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jul 13, 2022 at 11:25 am
Old Jul 13, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Gold
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
if I have TPE-SFO and SFO-ORD on separate tickets (not BE, meet MCT and not long connection), does that mean if I check 2 bags for free at TPE, I cannot through-check it to ORD directly and need to pay for 2 bags at SFO (if no status or CC)?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Mariott, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The policy is “no”, but worth a try (mention you have HA is same ticket for return). If you’re not successful, HA will collect bag fees at HNL (unless you’re in HA First). No UA status allowance or privileges. Same on return - HA will not recognize UA status.
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
What IAH-OIL-TRASH said ... with the reminder that the outbound is NT a connection. It's two separate tickets. Also, generally the first carrier collects the bag fees so you may have to pay HA for checked bags on your single-ticket return. (Not sure whether the IATA MSC rules apply since the ticket is wholly within the US)
Thank you both! Will see what happens! Re the ticket itself, I even tried to call UA at booking to get the outbound HA flight to show on the search since the return flight was coming up, and no avail. Good times!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.