Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:11 am

tying a TK miles and UA ticket

Hello,

i want to fly from TPA to IST. I'm finding availabilty using my TK miles from ORD to IST. I'm thinking of purchasing a cash UA ticket round trip from TPA to ORD. my question is, since they're both star alliance partners, can i tie the two tickets together? would i be able to check my bags in at tampa direct to IST?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 7, 2022 at 10:46 am Reason: Moved to master thread
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
In addition to above, there is no concept of linking the tickets together. The risk is if your first flight is delayed and you miss the TK flight, neither airline has any obligation to get you to IST. Plenty of people do this but this isn’t the scenario where you’d want a tight connection time, especially in ORD
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:39 am

sorry, not clear on that 75 page thread, but from what i'm understanding, they will check the bags through (both ways) but i'm not protected on the flight in case of delay.. correct?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by omaralt
sorry, not clear on that 75 page thread, but from what i'm understanding, they will check the bags through (both ways) but i'm not protected on the flight in case of delay.. correct?
I can’t say with certainty what TK will do on the return, but UA will through-check your bags all the way.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
correct. Unless you book a LONG 'connection' at ORD I would not risk it. Checking bags through on the return should not matter since you need to get your bags through customs anyway and then you should be able to 're-check' them with UA @ T5 with your other ticket.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:42 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The Wiki (top post) of these major threads have a summary.

A key issue is this check-thru policy is carrier dependent, so this forum can only address the issue when checking in with UA.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:40 am

question about baggage when flying separate star alliance

i've booked a turkish airlines business class ticket from IAH to IST. I will now book my united ticket from tpa to iah. I will most likely be booking a saver award ticket. my questions are:

1- can the bags be checked in from tampa direct to istanbul?
2- do i get the TK baggage allowance? 2 x 70lb bags from tampa?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:43 am
Suspended

1. They can but they don't have to be. In my experience UA will usually check through on separate tickets, but it is not guaranteed.

2. No. They are separate tickets, you get whatever your status or fare class TPA-IAH permits.

Remember that you are not protected on your TK flight. If your flight into IAH is late or cancelled, you will likely no-show for the TK flight and lose it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
1. They can but they don't have to be. In my experience UA will usually check through on separate tickets, but it is not guaranteed.

2. No. They are separate tickets, you get whatever your status or fare class TPA-IAH permits.

Remember that you are not protected on your TK flight. If your flight into IAH is late or cancelled, you will likely no-show for the TK flight and lose it.
yup i realize i'm not protected. its definitely a risk. thanks for the info
Old Feb 2, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
i've booked a turkish airlines business class ticket from IAH to IST. I will now book my united ticket from tpa to iah. I will most likely be booking a saver award ticket. my questions are:

1- can the bags be checked in from tampa direct to istanbul?
It is UA's written policy to do this -- see the wiki for the links. Same agents may struggle to do this so allow extra time at check-in
2- do i get the TK baggage allowance? 2 x 70lb bags from tampa?
Generally yes, the standard approach to interlining the bags will provide the highest bag allowance but the written UA policy does not directly address this, so this may vary.
SPN Lifer and nnn like this.
Old Feb 22, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, ITA Executive
Hey everyone, going to interline from UA to LX. Checking in at a regional airport (where there is the chance they may not have done this before) - any advice or any way I can help the agent? I will print both reservations/confirmations out and get to the airport with plenty of time.

If they do successfully check my bags across both tickets, do I need to go to the pre-security check-in counter when I am done with my United segments or can I go to the Swiss Gate and get my boarding passes printed? Hoping to do pre-document check as my destination is eligible. Cheers

If they can't check it in for whatever reason at the regional airport, I plan to carry-on my bag until it is time for my Swiss flights. Depending on connection, I may carry it the whole way!
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:01 am

Will United Interline a Bag to Etihad in Europe

If I fly on a United ticket and plane from the US to Europe, and then I have a separate Etihad ticket, will United interline my bags over to Etihad?
Old Mar 5, 2022, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
If I fly on a United ticket and plane from the US to Europe, and then I have a separate Etihad ticket, will United interline my bags over to Etihad?
No,UA policy to interline on separate tickets is only for UA partners / Star Alliance

There is a chance if you have higher UA status an agent might do it but no published policy.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 6:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by paine445
Hey everyone, going to interline from UA to LX. Checking in at a regional airport (where there is the chance they may not have done this before) - any advice or any way I can help the agent? I will print both reservations/confirmations out and get to the airport with plenty of time.

If they do successfully check my bags across both tickets, do I need to go to the pre-security check-in counter when I am done with my United segments or can I go to the Swiss Gate and get my boarding passes printed? Hoping to do pre-document check as my destination is eligible. Cheers

If they can't check it in for whatever reason at the regional airport, I plan to carry-on my bag until it is time for my Swiss flights. Depending on connection, I may carry it the whole way!
it would help to know where you are flying. I’m not sure what you are asking, but a Swiss desk in the US won’t check you in for your LX flight to or from Switzerland. How much time is between these flights?
Old Mar 5, 2022, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No,UA policy to interline on separate tickets is only for UA partners / Star Alliance

There is a chance if you have higher UA status an agent might do it but no published policy.
Thank you so much for the reply. I have no UA status right now. I will post separately about collecting a Untied bag in AMS and checking it for an Etihad flight 7 hours later.

I wonder if I would be treated any differently (and the ticket agent would interline my bag to Etihad) if I am flying BUSINESS class to AMS.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2022 at 10:52 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.