Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2022, 5:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. NoWay
.... The agent from 3rd party ground company AAS Martin Belka, literally stated he could have interlined but did not feel like it. .
Not sure what this has to do with UA but interlining on separate tickets is an (operating) airline by airline policy and should be verified in advance. FYI, EW is not *A
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Lesson learned: at least in DEN, don't even bother going to the Bag Drop Shortcut area. I told the contract agent that we had two separate tickets, she took my boarding pass and ID, and printed out bag tags just the first leg. When I pointed out my mistake, she then treated my bag tags like toxic waste, shoved them to me, and told me to take my bags to regular check-in. Once I got there, the first contract agent we dealt with told me to talk to someone in an United uniform and shooed us away.

Once we actually got to speak to an actual United employee, it took a while, but he printed out bag tags to ARN and even printed out our SK boarding passes (something that UA agents in DEN and LAX couldn't do for us in December 2017). As someone mentioned up-thread, I think he created a dummy booking using our SK PNR.
Flying Machine likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Lesson learned: at least in DEN, don't even bother going to the Bag Drop Shortcut area......
For check thru on separate tickets??
Bag Drop Shortcut is only to drop bags, not to handle any ticket issues.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For check thru on separate tickets??
Bag Drop Shortcut is only to drop bags, not to handle any ticket issues.
And for some reason I don’t even like those kiosks I typically go to an agent if I’m ever checking. Especially in the mornings at LAX, the Premier agents are so helpful. And the kiosk personnel are always so grumpy

Last edited by Flying Machine; Jun 24, 2022 at 9:50 pm
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Im flying United J on a paid ticket from MKE-ORD-BRU-IST then from IST Im flying Turkish nonstop to VIE on an award Y fare. Would I have any problems checking my luggage all the way through?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:47 pm

Question checking in baggage on 2 tickets

I have SFO-SIN roundtrip on UA purchased through UA. I have a SIN-BOM roundtrip on SQ purchased through SQ. The flight segments connect SFO-BOM and BOM-SFO with approximately an hour+ layover in SIN. I had to do this because UA would not allow me to purchase the SFO-BOM ticket with $, although it sold me the same SFO-SIN-BOM flights for my mother on miles. (I did not have miles to buy both tickets). My question is if I will be able to checkin my baggage at SFO all the way to BOM and do the same when returning, checkin at BOM all the way to SFO. I will have UA Premier Platinum status when I make the trip if it matters. Many thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by noupgrades
I have SFO-SIN roundtrip on UA purchased through UA. I have a SIN-BOM roundtrip on SQ purchased through SQ. The flight segments connect SFO-BOM and BOM-SFO with approximately an hour+ layover in SIN. I had to do this because UA would not allow me to purchase the SFO-BOM ticket with $, although it sold me the same SFO-SIN-BOM flights for my mother on miles. (I did not have miles to buy both tickets). My question is if I will be able to checkin my baggage at SFO all the way to BOM and do the same when returning, checkin at BOM all the way to SFO. I will have UA Premier Platinum status when I make the trip if it matters. Many thanks.
SFO-SIN(UA) & SIN-BOM (SQ) should be OK
--->UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

On the return BOM-SIN & SIN-SFO it will depend on the SQ policy for bag interning on separate tickets. Not the UA policy

Edit
Thread was merged as I posted
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by noupgrades
Mostly likely but it depends on what "hour+ is and what terminals are being used. You must meet the MCT which for SIN are
**-** II 1.00 TRM 1 - 1
**-** II 1.00 TRM 2 - 1
**-** II 1.00 TRM 3 - 1
**-** II 1.30 TRM 4 - 1
**-** II 1.00 TRM 1 - 2
**-** II 1.00 TRM 2 - 2
**-** II 1.00 TRM 3 - 2
**-** II 1.30 TRM 4 - 2
**-** II 1.00 TRM 1 - 3
**-** II 1.00 TRM 2 - 3
**-** II 1.00 TRM 3 - 3
**-** II 1.30 TRM 4 - 3
**-** II 1.30 TRM 1 - 4
**-** II 1.30 TRM 2 - 4
**-** II 1.30 TRM 3 - 4
**-** II 1.00 TRM 4 - 4
As long as no Terminal 4 (not open yet and not any majors) which I believe will be true for these flights and hour+ is really greater than an hour.

Note believe SQ has the same rules for the return.

Allow extra time at checkin

Is SIN allowing transit on separate tickets nowadays?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:15 pm

My flights are UA 1 SFO-SIN arriving SIN 6:15am, SQ 422 SIN-BOM departing SIN 7:40am, and while returning SQ 423 BOM-SIN arriving SIN 7:40am, UA 2 SIN-SFO departing SIN 8:45am. I have the option of changing to an earlier BOM-SIN flight on the return leg, but it will be quite a bit early and I would have to spend the night in SIN. Should I do this?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 6:18 pm

I checked the terminals and as far as I can tell all flights depart/arrive from Terminal 3.
Old Jul 1, 2022, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by lomtovely
Im flying United J on a paid ticket from MKE-ORD-BRU-IST then from IST Im flying Turkish nonstop to VIE on an award Y fare. Would I have any problems checking my luggage all the way through?
Should be none. Leave plenty of time at MKE. The number of segments may make this a little difficult.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 7:39 am

Flying MCI-IAH on UA and then IAH-MAN on SQ, both in J. SQ was award ticket and UA is separate positioning flight,so separate itineraries. I asked agent at MCI to interline the two, and he knew exactly what I meant. He requested to see my passport and SQ electronic boarding pass, and the whole thing was accomplished in minutes. So clearly the agents at MCI know what they're doing!
jsloan, SPN Lifer, uanj and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 8:52 pm

As an extra data point. They can only check through up-to 4 segments. Had 5 total and couldn’t check all the way through - UA(2)-LH(3). So just checked through first stop in Germany to pick up and re-check for the rest of the 2nd itinerary
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by random.parts
As an extra data point. They can only check through up-to 4 segments. Had 5 total and couldn’t check all the way through - UA(2)-LH(3). So just checked through first stop in Germany to pick up and re-check for the rest of the 2nd itinerary
I’d be extremely surprised if this were true. Rather, I suspect that the agent you spoke to either (a) didn’t know how to do it or (b) didn’t want to bother.

A fifth segment, whether on a single ticket or multiple tickets, requires either (a) a manual bag tag or (b) two bag tags. I’ve personally had each approach used once. I don’t remember how the second bag tag was printed; whether it came out automatically or if the agent created a dummy reservation to hold the fifth leg. I suspect it was the latter but I’m not certain. I didn’t check the tag numbers to see if they were identical.

I suspect that particular agent would have had a problem even if the reservation were on one single ticket.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 10:44 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by random.parts
Originally Posted by jsloan
I’d be extremely surprised if this were true. Rather, I suspect that the agent you spoke to either (a) didn’t know how to do it or (b) didn’t want to bother.

A fifth segment, whether on a single ticket or multiple tickets, requires either (a) a manual bag tag or (b) two bag tags. I’ve personally had each approach used once. I don’t remember how the second bag tag was printed; whether it came out automatically or if the agent created a dummy reservation to hold the fifth leg. I suspect it was the latter but I’m not certain. I didn’t check the tag numbers to see if they were identical.

I suspect that particular agent would have had a problem even if the reservation were on one single ticket.
I have had 2 five-segment journeys on 2 different PNRS. On one the bag was checked through albeit with a lot of effort. On the other one we ran out of time and I had a 3+-hour break so they short checked it to that point. Honestly even short checking took time.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.