Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
See Interline Baggage Agreements (single ticket) when there is a single ticket.

When a passenger has two separate tickets, United will though-check (interline) bags only when the second ticket is for UA or *A partner operated travel. Otherwise, UA may not interline the bags and you will need to recheck bags for the second ticket.

With two qualifying separate tickets, when checking bags thru, you will need to present flight information for both tickets at check-in. This includes the itinerary, PNR and eticket number.

Note: Interlining two UA tickets seems to be challenging for some agents. Allow extra time for bag check, just in case, and perhaps suggest contacting the Help Desk if the agent seems to be having issues.
Interlining UA-UA may not be allowed if one ticket is Basic Economy and does not allow free check bags.
Thread on UA-UA bag interlining

Effective for travel on and after March 1, 2015, when a customer has two separate tickets, United will though-check bags only when the secondary ticket is for travel on the following carriers:

* United and United Express
* Star Alliance partner airlines

With the new policy, a passenger’s baggage will be checked between the origin and destination points that are reflected on a single or conjunctive ticket.

If the traveler holds a second ticket on another airline beyond the destination of the first ticket, United will check the bag to the destination on the first ticket(s). In such situations, the traveler must collect their baggage on arrival at their first ticketed destination, and then re-check baggage with the next carrier for their continuing flight(s).
UA.com link
If you have a separate ticket on another carrier, you must claim bags at the destination of the first ticketed itinerary and check bags with the other carrier to the final destination. Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
  • The carrier is not a *A partner
  • the connection is overnight
  • the connection is less than MCT
  • Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country

Exceptions to the non-partner interlining restriction on separate tickets for 1Ks/GSs have been reported. There still needs to be a regular bag interlining agreement in place.
Additionally, one report suggests that exception would apply also to *Gs and Full Fare J passengers

Whenever checking a bag between carriers (on a single or separate tickets), it is recommended to show your bag tag to each downline carrier at the transfer desk/gate to ensure the bag tag information has propagated to their system.

related thread:
Overnight, long layover/connection check through baggage question (consolidated)

Archive thread: UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix w/ *A Partners (YES) & Non-Partners (NO) {Archive}

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Default time is 12 hours. A small number of individual stations are enabled to allow bags to be checked thru for connections greater than 12 hours. Maybe we can build a list based on people's experiences for certain connection points.

I know FCO is up to 16 hours. SIN, HND, FRA, MUC, ZRH, BRU should all allow up to 24 hours.

Print Wikipost

UA Bag Interlining If Separate Tix with *A Partners (YES) & Non *A Partners (NO)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leftysauce
if I have TPE-SFO and SFO-ORD on separate tickets (not BE, meet MCT and not long connection), does that mean if I check 2 bags for free at TPE, I cannot through-check it to ORD directly and need to pay for 2 bags at SFO (if no status or CC)?
No, if you’re able to check them through to ORD, they will not charge for them at SFO.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
No, if you’re able to check them through to ORD, they will not charge for them at SFO.

ah i misread it - I thought it said UA won't accept through-check when connecting to a domestic flight even from an UA international leg

Some conditions when UA may not interlining with another carrier on a separate ticket
Traveling internationally and connecting to a domestic flight within your destination country
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by COmciUA
Thank you both! Will see what happens! Re the ticket itself, I even tried to call UA at booking to get the outbound HA flight to show on the search since the return flight was coming up, and no avail. Good times!
flights.google.com is a good way to build that sort of itinerary, though I've sometimes had problems getting UA to ticket those itineraries without help from web support.
jsloan, SPN Lifer, COmciUA and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Mariott, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
What IAH-OIL-TRASH said ... with the reminder that the outbound is NT a connection. It's two separate tickets. Also, generally the first carrier collects the bag fees so you may have to pay HA for checked bags on your single-ticket return. (Not sure whether the IATA MSC rules apply since the ticket is wholly within the US)
One last question on this. UA has award availability for the HA flight, and i may cancel my HA booking and use miles for the one way. I know that UA can interline UA-UA per that thread, but can they still interline if it's 016 stock but different operating partner? I assume YES, but would love confirmation from the experts. So the trip would be EWR-HNL in J on one ticket, HNL-KOA booked via UA but operated by HA on the other ticket. Thanks all!
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COmciUA
One last question on this. UA has award availability for the HA flight, and i may cancel my HA booking and use miles for the one way. I know that UA can interline UA-UA per that thread, but can they still interline if it's 016 stock but different operating partner? I assume YES, but would love confirmation from the experts. So the trip would be EWR-HNL in J on one ticket, HNL-KOA booked via UA but operated by HA on the other ticket. Thanks all!
UA policy is not to interline on separate tickets except within *A. 016 ticket or not is irrelevant.
GUWonder and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I currently have an AC award ticket in business from YVR-SYD (departing 23:15) and need to get from Cabo in Mexico (SJD) to YVR same day, now that Westjet has just cancelled their direct service. This will be on separate tickets, travelling mid-September.

By far the most cost-effective option for me is on UA SJD 12:55 - 15:59 DEN 19:07- 21:10 YVR. That would give me a connection time of 2h 05m in YVR, which is above the standard MCT of 1h 45m (I think, if I'm deciphering Expertflyer correctly, that the MCT for UA > AC at YVR is actually only 1hr).

Based on my reading of the wiki, UA should theoretically interline our bags at check-in in SJD, right? (I realise we'd need to pick them up at arrival in DEN, carry through customs, then presumably recheck on the belt there.)

Any reason to worry that UA might not? Eg if they use contract staff at SJD, or because the itinerary goes via the US?

The alternative options I could book would be a UA/AC combo to get to YVR, but they're significantly more expensive and I figured that interlining from an all-UA itinerary to an AC itinerary is likely to be simpler for the agent in SJD.

I'm honestly not super happy with any of these options but I'm even less happy with cutting my Mexico trip short by a day so I'm contemplating taking a calculated risk. Then again with the summer travel craziness, am I pushing my luck?
Old Jul 17, 2022, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mad_atta
I currently have an AC award ticket in business from YVR-SYD (departing 23:15) and need to get from Cabo in Mexico (SJD) to YVR same day, now that Westjet has just cancelled their direct service. This will be on separate tickets, travelling mid-September.

By far the most cost-effective option for me is on UA SJD 12:55 - 15:59 DEN 19:07- 21:10 YVR. That would give me a connection time of 2h 05m in YVR, which is above the standard MCT of 1h 45m (I think, if I'm deciphering Expertflyer correctly, that the MCT for UA > AC at YVR is actually only 1hr).
Correct, MCT is one hour, because you'll be connecting within the main terminal from the US from UA to AC.

Based on my reading of the wiki, UA should theoretically interline our bags at check-in in SJD, right? (I realise we'd need to pick them up at arrival in DEN, carry through customs, then presumably recheck on the belt there.)

Any reason to worry that UA might not? Eg if they use contract staff at SJD, or because the itinerary goes via the US?
Not really. If anything, the stop at DEN gives you a second bite at the apple; if the SJD agent just can't do it, you can ask for the bags to be re-tagged at the re-check desk.

The alternative options I could book would be a UA/AC combo to get to YVR, but they're significantly more expensive and I figured that interlining from an all-UA itinerary to an AC itinerary is likely to be simpler for the agent in SJD.
It really shouldn't make much difference to the agent, who needs to add on a dummy YVR-SYD segment either way.

I'm honestly not super happy with any of these options but I'm even less happy with cutting my Mexico trip short by a day so I'm contemplating taking a calculated risk. Then again with the summer travel craziness, am I pushing my luck?
Yes, you're pushing your luck. You're relying on UA to be relatively on-time on an evening flight, and then you're relying on the I-I transfer at YVR to be reasonably quick. You might check for an opinion on the latter in the AC forum, but I haven't heard good things recently...
mad_atta likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
You will not be paying anything. Once tagged through to SFO at MXP, you'll just do a bag drop at EWR after customs/immigration. You won't need to go to a check-in counter at EWR.
Originally Posted by cfischer
and don't forget to spend your 4 hours in the Polaris lounge
Originally Posted by Kacee
It can theoretically be done, but it's much harder than checking bags through on a partner. I'm pretty sure UA uses contract agents at MXP (perhaps LH?), which makes it even less certain that this can be done.
That said, I suspect you’d be able to get them re-checked for no charge at EWR (but I’d ask about it at MXP anyway).
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Other Star carriers using contracted ground agents at MXP didn’t give me any major problem with thru-checking my luggage across separately-ticketed flights as long as all the flights are on Star Alliance carriers — whether or not it’s all on one carrier or across Star Alliance carriers.

I’ve had more problems with this for UA-UA originating out of the US than when UA-UA originating out of Europe, Asia and South America.

The “no charge” thing has been a YMMV situation for me at LGA and EWR when I didn’t get the bags thru-checked across separate tickets by the Star Alliance carrier agents outside of the US.
Thank you all for sharing your thoughts, advice and experiences. I like to try to be one step ahead of the game so I appreciate knowing what to expect when I get to MXP. Will post an update with actual experience when the day comes.

Definitely looking forward to spending that long layover in the Polaris lounge!
jsloan and Kacee like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
By far the most cost-effective option for me is on UA [color=#000000]SJD 12:55 - 15:59 DEN 19:07- 21:10 YVR. That would give me a connection time of 2h 05m in YVR, which is above the standard MCT of 1h 45m (I think, if I'm deciphering Expertflyer correctly, that the MCT for UA > AC at YVR is actually only 1hr).
Yes, you're pushing your luck.
I would not attempt this same day.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 12:42 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I'm reaching the same conclusion. I don't want to shorten my trip so I think I'm just going to jettison my AC award flight and get paid Premium Economy back from LAX instead, which is easy to get to.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Update

Originally Posted by lomtovely
Im flying United J on a paid ticket from MKE-ORD-BRU-IST then from IST Im flying Turkish nonstop to VIE on an award Y fare. Would I have any problems checking my luggage all the way through?
Had No problems! MKE agent seemed confused why i was explaining so much. She went ahead and printed the bag tag. took maybe 5 extra mins on a not so busy morning.
GUWonder and jsloan like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 9:51 am

I'm back here with a UA > *A interlining question. I've taken the advice offered a few posts above (and elsewhere) and given up on trying to get from SJD to YVR in time for AC's SYD flight, and instead have booked on NZ LAX-AKL-SYD as there are quite a few nonstop options SJD-LAX.

In this case, the issue is not very tight connections but very long connections at LAX. UA gets in at 2.40pm and NZ departs at 10.50pm. Expertflyer reckons this flight will arrive at TBIT (where I know there would be a luggage belt after customs that we could drop our interlined bags onto, which would mean we were unencumbered) but United.com shows current SJD-LAX flights coming into T7, which seems more logical.
At LAX T7, is there a similar belt after customs where we can drop bags for our NZ flight? I'm fine coming into either terminal, I just don't want to have to schlepp our bags from T7 to TBIT and wait for NZ check-in to open.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:38 pm

I am traveling on UA this August and would love any advice/help. I am traveling with my wife and our newborn (first flight!) who will be 4 months so we're extra worried about our bags transferring through. I have two separate tickets for the trip, (1.) from LGA to DEN in First Class and then (2.) from DEN to ASE in Economy (extra legroom, not that it matters..).

Based on UA policies and other replies i've read, a gate agent should be able to check my bags through to the second flight reservation (with Help Desk assistance if needed). Please correct me if I am wrong. Does anyone know if it matters that my first ticket is first class and second ticket is in economy? Any other advice for my specific case traveling with a newborn or any experience with LGA<>DEN<>ASE? I would think LGA is large enough to have experienced staff to assist...

Thank you!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
no issue with a first/coach combo, unless the 2nd one is basic eco which could complicate things.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
Flying LAS-ORD (UA, tix 1), ORD-ARN (SK, tix 2). Would UA be willing to check the bags all the way thru ARN; and would they be able to get the BP printed? I believe SK does not offer OLCI for US flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.